Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Eating crap, no exercise and still losing, how could this be

pannellkat
pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been exercising religiously and eating healthier up to 1200 calories a day since November of last year. I've lost over 25 lbs and won two biggest loser competitions at work. I started at 175.8 lbs and at the end of the competition on 4/26 I weighed in at 147.8 lbs.

I went to Vegas & Disneyland that weekend when contest ended and have been on an eating rampage since. Buffets, Mcdonalds, fast food, pizza, etc. and have not stepped foot in the gym but one time for a half hour last week on treadmill and a little strength training, nothing major.

The scale keeps going down??? How and why is that?

I'm really trying to get back in the swing of things to maintain my weight loss but when I keep seeing the scale going down and I am still fitting my smaller clothes with no issues, it makes me say.."ah screw it, I can have that twix bar, I haven't gained weight in 3 weeks".

Replies

• karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Well, from excercising, you likely have more muscle so you burn more naturally.

You may also be eating less of the bad stuff than before?

But either way, dont press your luck! LOL

Get back on!! You look too great noy too!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    I agree that your metabolism is higher due to gaining muscle as muscle burns more calories when active, but at rest too.

I also agree that I wouldn't press my luck with that and it is not good for you either.
  • RMariaT
    RMariaT Posts: 35 Member
    you probably are still eating less calories than when you were heavier.

I wish it were me:happy:
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    I agree with the gain in muscle and with higher fat foods, you're probably eating less than you think.

But you know the rules of weight loss having had so much success til now (congrats, btw! :happy: ), the game and the rules don't change. So I say, it's awesome that you still lost weight...probably all that walking around disney and vegas, but i say head right on back to where you were before to keep it going if you want to keep it up.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Pick back up on the workouts. Having the extra muscle will make up for the off days and keep you on track. :)
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    well based on what you wrote, the two most obvious answers that pop to mind are:

1) get a new scale

or

2) get checked for tape worms

[btw, this is supposed to be tongue in cheek :]
  • pannellkat
    well based on what you wrote, the two most obvious answers that pop to mind are:

1) get a new scale

or

2) get checked for tape worms

[btw, this is supposed to be tongue in cheek :]

lmao..that made me laugh.

But no seriously, I use the scale at home and the one at work that we have been using for the biggest loser contest, two different scales and I still fit in my smaller clothes perfectly...but I will need to stop asap! It will catch up to me once my metabolism slows down.
  • sroseber
    sroseber Posts: 197 Member
    Don't get comfortable with it! I lost 21 lbs. last year before going on vaca and getting off my diet and routine. Things kept coming up when we got back that kept me from getting back to my routine but I wasn't gaining so I didn't worry about it too much. Probably the same thing was happening that's happening with you. I had been working out a lot and had built a lot of muscle (which burns more cals than fat just sitting there doing nothing) and when we got back I'd eat a few things that weren't good for me (like McD's, etc.) and gradually, because I wasn't gaining from it, next time I'd eat a little more or I'd start eating the bad stuff more frequently. Until I ended up where I was when I finally decided to get back to MFP. I gained all 21 lbs back plus about 10 more!!!! (I did find out in that 6-8 months that I am having some problems with my thyroid too but it's not all from that!) The muscle you built will keep burning the cals for a while but if you aren't working out to maintain that muscle it will eventually go away and you won't be burning as many calories and therefore will not be able to eat as many calories without gaining the weight back.

Get yourself back on track ASAP! I'm telling you from experience gaining it back and more is the WORST feeling!!!
  • Get back on track ASAP. It will catch up with you. I had the same thing happen and gained all of my weight back. Now I have to start all over again. You don't want to have to start over. Just pick up where you left off. You'll regret it if you don't.
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    I'd also be really careful, cuz you may be losing muscle.
  • pannellkat
    Okay ya'll - got back in the gym last night for half hour elliptical and half hour strength training. Getting back on track. :)
  • Keemeri
    Keemeri Posts: 74
    Great advice everyone! It just made me realize I really need to do more strength training in order to increase my metabolism. I do remember when I stopped exercise, playing basketball...etc... I quickly lost 10 lbs. It was all muscle. So even though it feels too good to be true....remember it is!
    :wink:
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    If you have stopped working out, all of the muscle you had is now being replaced with more fat which weighs less. This happened to me before. I stopped working out and noticed I lost weight even though I wasn't being healthy anymore. It came back to bite me once I lost off the muscle I had gained while working out. It will eventually even itself out and you will stop losing.
This discussion has been closed.