Running VS walking

When I run, I average about a 15 minute mile. Not the best, but it's what I do lol. However, I find that when I walk, I average about 13 minutes a mile.... is this common? To walk faster than you run lol.

I would also like to mention I'm walking about 3.5 miles at a time.

Replies

• Bentleymama86
    Bentleymama86 Posts: 89 Member
    anyone????
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Yeah, jogging slower than your walk speed isn't too uncommon actually...and it is even more common for beginner runners as they work to build their base.
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    That's quite impressive. Maybe you were meant to be an olympic power walker? I'm sure your run will get faster the more you do it.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    You aren't really running at all. You must be extremely out of shape in the cardio department. What is happening is your walking pace is about average but when you try running you get winded very quickly and as a result you are doing what they called in the army the "ranger shuffle" I am not sure why they call it that since army rangers are in insanely good shape but I just know that is what they call it. You are going through the motions like you are running but you are actually just doing a very inefficient trot. Because it is inefficient it keeps you winded pretty much the entire time but your pace just keeps getting slower. I would recommend that you start out by just doing some intervals.

Start out walking

Run for as long as you can actually maintain a good pace and then slow it back down. I would give you a block of seconds here but I am betting you aren't able to actually run for longer than a few seconds.

Go back to walking until you can catch your breath.

Run again.

Keep up this pattern for the duration of your workout.

Over time you will be able to run longer distances and eventually running will be the entire distance at which point your run times will be better than your walk times.

I used to be in the same boat and this was how I broke the barrier.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Soldier4242 was a little harsh but I agree with his suggestion to try intervals or the C25K program to build your base. Also you could try focusing on your form to make sure that you are running as efficiently as you can.
  • Bentleymama86
    You aren't really running at all. You must be extremely out of shape in the cardio department. What is happening is your walking pace is about average but when you try running you get winded very quickly and as a result you are doing what they called in the army the "ranger shuffle" I am not sure why they call it that since army rangers are in insanely good shape but I just know that is what they call it. You are going through the motions like you are running but you are actually just doing a very inefficient trot. Because it is inefficient it keeps you winded pretty much the entire time but your pace just keeps getting slower. I would recommend that you start out by just doing some intervals.

Start out walking

Run for as long as you can actually maintain a good pace and then slow it back down. I would give you a block of seconds here but I am betting you aren't able to actually run for longer than a few seconds.

Run again.

Over time you will be able to run longer distances and eventually running will be the entire distance at which point your run times will be better than your walk times.

I am extremely out of shape.... I'm about 5' 3" and weigh 239lbs. I have a ton of fat I'm trying to get rid of, and I can "run" 1 mile without stopping lol. But I can walk 3.5 miles in about 45 minutes or so. I'm doing what I can :) But the running does kill me. How much more beneficial is running than walking?
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    I have just taken up Nordic Walking and I cover more ground in less time.
  • Bentleymama86
    I have just taken up Nordic Walking and I cover more ground in less time.

Whats Nordic Walking?
  • jess_fowler
    jess_fowler Posts: 16 Member
    I would definitely recommend the C25K (couch to 5k) program. I started it earlier this year. When I started, jogging for a minute was hard. Now I am on week 8 (although it has taken me a little longer than 8 weeks because I didn't always do it 3x a week) and am jogging for 25-30 minutes at a time. I walk at 3.5 and jog at 4.5mph. So definitely not fast, but I'm doing it.

My problem was always getting the rhythm and breathing down. I always felt awkward and off-pace and struggled to breathe properly. Easing into it with the help of the app has really helped me.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    I am extremely out of shape.... I'm about 5' 3" and weigh 239lbs. I have a ton of fat I'm trying to get rid of, and I can "run" 1 mile without stopping lol. But I can walk 3.5 miles in about 45 minutes or so. I'm doing what I can :) But the running does kill me. How much more beneficial is running than walking?

If you are "heavy" then running will be harder on your joints. A good paced walk will burn as many (if not more) calories than your maximum length run and be a) more pleasurable for you and b) better on your joints and therefore c) more sustainable as an activity in the longer term and thus d) more likely to give you the results you are looking for.

Remember, no one "has" to run. You can get what you need from challenging walks (good pace, routes that tackle big hills, etc), cycling, running, zumba, water aerobics, etc..... Just do an activity you will like and you'll stick with and you'll get where you need to go.....
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    13 min mile is really good for walking. I looked up average walking times and found this....
     Time for Women Under Age 40
    Well above average: 13:30 or less
    Above average:13:31 to 16:00
    Average: 16:01 to 18:30
    Below average: 18:31 to 20:00
    Well below average: 20:01 or more

Time for Women Age 40 and Over
    Well above average: 14:30 or less
    Above average: 14:31 to 17:00
    Average: 17:01 to 19:30
    Below average: 19:31 to 22:00
    Well below average: 22:01 or more
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    How much more beneficial is running than walking?
    As far as calorie burning goes it is not any more beneficial at that pace. However, if you begin to get in shape over time you will be able to run much faster than you can walk and will be able to burn the same amount of calories in a much shorter time.
  • I would definitely recommend the C25K (couch to 5k) program. I started it earlier this year. When I started, jogging for a minute was hard. Now I am on week 8 (although it has taken me a little longer than 8 weeks because I didn't always do it 3x a week) and am jogging for 25-30 minutes at a time. I walk at 3.5 and jog at 4.5mph. So definitely not fast, but I'm doing it.

My problem was always getting the rhythm and breathing down. I always felt awkward and off-pace and struggled to breathe properly. Easing into it with the help of the app has really helped me.

C25K is a great introduction to jogging.
  • My walk used to be better than my run also! At this point I'm just working to get my mile better! I usually walk 1/4th mile to warm up, run 1/4th, walk 1/4th again bc I was tired, & then run the last 1/4th. Ive got my mile down to 13min in a few weeks and it keeps getting better... plus Im able to run a little bit further everytime! I have also tried to control my jog so Im not trying to go so hard and keep a good pace... this keeps me from getting to tired too fast! Slowly but surely! c]:{D
  • Bentleymama86
    13 min mile is really good for walking. I looked up average walking times and found this....
     Time for Women Under Age 40
    Well above average: 13:30 or less
    Above average:13:31 to 16:00
    Average: 16:01 to 18:30
    Below average: 18:31 to 20:00
    Well below average: 20:01 or more

Time for Women Age 40 and Over
    Well above average: 14:30 or less
    Above average: 14:31 to 17:00
    Average: 17:01 to 19:30
    Below average: 19:31 to 22:00
    Well below average: 22:01 or more

This makes me happy :)
  • Bentleymama86
    My walk used to be better than my run also! At this point I'm just working to get my mile better! I usually walk 1/4th mile to warm up, run 1/4th, walk 1/4th again bc I was tired, & then run the last 1/4th. Ive got my mile down to 13min in a few weeks and it keeps getting better... plus Im able to run a little bit further everytime! I have also tried to control my jog so Im not trying to go so hard and keep a good pace... this keeps me from getting to tired too fast! Slowly but surely! c]:{D

Good job!
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    I walk faster than I run (when I power walk, not when I am just going for a stroll). I walk 3 miles in around 35 mins, so just under 12 minutes per mile / just over 5 mph.

Running makes my dodgy knees and my asthma play up. Walking doesn't. So walking wins for me.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member

Start out walking

Run again.

Well from a pure calorie perspective running isn't really much different from walking especially at your level of the game. As it was pointed out running will be harder on your joints. It might be better for you to just walk longer distances until you can get some weight of. If the gym is an option the elliptical machine if very low impact on the joints. It is used as a way of rehabilitating runners all the time. The motion is much softer on your knees and ankles.
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member

If you are "heavy" then running will be harder on your joints. A good paced walk will burn as many (if not more) calories than your maximum length run and be a) more pleasurable for you and b) better on your joints and therefore c) more sustainable as an activity in the longer term and thus d) more likely to give you the results you are looking for.

Remember, no one "has" to run. You can get what you need from challenging walks (good pace, routes that tackle big hills, etc), cycling, running, zumba, water aerobics, etc..... Just do an activity you will like and you'll stick with and you'll get where you need to go.....

This. Running/jogging is hard on your joints. Power walking is better for your joints (especially when you're bigger and have a lot to lose). Keep challenging yourself and you'll get to where you want to be.

I did c25k and it helped a lot.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member

Start out walking

Run again.

Well from a pure calorie perspective running isn't really much different from walking especially at your level of the game. As it was pointed out running will be harder on your joints. It might be better for you to just walk longer distances until you can get some weight of. If the gym is an option the elliptical machine if very low impact on the joints. It is used as a way of rehabilitating runners all the time. The motion is much softer on your knees and ankles.

I second this. Where you are in the game, and I've been there (A walk to the mailbox used to be a "work-out"), running isn't that much of a benefit beyond walking for you. Walk like you are, hit your calories goals, and after a few months you'll feel better....that's when you start Couch-to-5K.