Lunges harder than squats or is it me?

Options

Replies

• krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Then you see bodybuilders like Ronnie Coleman do deep lunges like nothing :noway: *end of the set, shrugs the barbells crashing down to the ground* BEAST :smokin:
  • krhn
    Options
    For me, squatting is easy. Lunging... mmm, not so much. I guess it depends on the person. Try doing back and forward alternating lunges. Those are HARD.

I do alternating variant ... I use light weights and feel the legs begin to cramp up within the first set :laugh:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Then you see bodybuilders like Ronnie Coleman do deep lunges like nothing :noway: *end of the set, shrugs the barbells crashing down to the ground* BEAST :smokin:

I've been doing lunges with dumbbells in each hand, but they are getting too heavy... I need to move ot barbell lunges soon...
  • krhn
    Options
    I never feel squats in my butt only my quads & hamstrings. I'm not sure I'm doing it right. My trainer made me take my shoes off once cause she said I raise my heels. Can someone give me the proper technique for squats?

To the OP: My quads kill after lunges, but not in my butt or hamstrings. But what really has gotten me lately was box jumps. Oh vey....

If you are doing lunges you may feel more glutes by doing a huge step(hence the word lunge) forward then bend all the way down till the leading knee touches the ground or there about
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I never feel squats in my butt only my quads & hamstrings. I'm not sure I'm doing it right. My trainer made me take my shoes off once cause she said I raise my heels. Can someone give me the proper technique for squats?

To the OP: My quads kill after lunges, but not in my butt or hamstrings. But what really has gotten me lately was box jumps. Oh vey....

If you are doing lunges you may feel more glutes by doing a huge step(hence the word lunge) forward then bend all the way down till the leading knee touches the ground or there about

Same for me. If I'm not feeling it in my hammies/butt, it's generally because my stride/lunge is too short, usually because I'm cheating due to fatigue.
  • krhn
    Options

I've been doing lunges with dumbbells in each hand, but they are getting too heavy... I need to move ot barbell lunges soon...

I don't like weights crushing down on the body... In my own weird mind I believe that weight is destroying all my muscle gains and bone!
  • JLPaige
    JLPaige Posts: 194
    Options
    I hate lunges
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I can squat all day.. but lunges I suck at.. unless I lunge on an incline of some sort.. so yes to me lunges are WAY harder LOL ...good luck tho
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    It depends, but as a yoga instructor I teach students how to "plug in" the leg to the hip joint... and that helps in those times of weakness.... much easier said than done....
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i lose my balance with lunges too after awhile!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Hate lunges, don't mind squats, love deadlifts. <3
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I can't do lunges (front type) to save myself. I always fall or pull a muscle. I was told to use a chair for balance, if I'm at the gym I use one of the stepper platforms from the circuit training area, but I still have issues.

Squats on the other hand I can do, alot (highest count was 225).
  • JustAGirl0916
    JustAGirl0916 Posts: 1,020
    Options
    Agree with you...Lunges are harder!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I think many have their "difficult" workouts. I, like you, find lunges a pain in the butt yet doing 80 kgs of squats isn't as bad as people tell me it is.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I also do lunges after squats, so take it for what it's worth...

I think the stability strains are different. With squats, my feet are shoulder width apart and in line with each other, so it requires more of a front-to-back stabilizing. Lunges are just the opposite... stance very narrow (side to side), but one foot far in front of the other... so this requires much more side-to-side stabilizing.

Lunges also put all the strain on one leg...

Ultimately I think it has to do with which one challenges your weakness the most, so it's based on your ability and how heavy you are going.

I agree. I also do lunges after squats.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Barbell lunges set my glutes on fire lol.. but then that is my weaker muscle group.. but then, that's why I do them.

Operation: CAKES :bigsmile:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

I don't like weights crushing down on the body... In my own weird mind I believe that weight is destroying all my muscle gains and bone!

Do lunges with a bar across your back and your front foot up on a Step bench.
    You'll be feeling all kinds of muscles...:noway:
  • krhn
    Options

Do lunges with a bar across your back and your front foot up on a Step bench.
    You'll be feeling all kinds of muscles...:noway:

:laugh:
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    so are you doing them with a barbell or dumb bells? I find a huge improvement in my balance if I use BB.

for the others,
    for more emphasis in the glutes try a bulgairan split squat or 1 leg squats.
    straight leg deads are great for the whole hamstring/glutes area too.
    and weighted bridges