How to get passed sugar cravings?

Options
Hi Everyone, I just started using MFP a few days ago and I have to start over because I keep caving in due to sugar cravings! I am a 53 year old women and have lost weight in the past but this time the cravings are KILLING ME...

I realize I have to stop eating sugar all together to get passed it but I usually cave after dinner. I am sure the glass of wine with dinner doesn't help but I hate to give that up too. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I make sugar free treats (no splenda) and I drink shakeology and that has curbed my sugar cravings.
  • Cherie0622
    Cherie0622 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I combat my cravings with fruits.
  • rkrazzy
    rkrazzy Posts: 4
    Options
    small amounts of very dark chocolate- a square or two. sugar + chocolate + healthy benefits of high cocoa content = craving curbed.
  • BranMuffin947
    BranMuffin947 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Just know that it does get easier - I feel like that alone should at least give you a breath of relief for now =]

I avoid sweets/sugar like the plague. It's hard at first, and I went through a lot of cookie and ice cream binges throughout the process but I find now that my binges are very far apart these days and I don't think about that stuff nearly as much as I did before.

Spend time with people who aren't sweet eaters - that helps too!

:heart: :heart:

you CAN do it :flowerforyou:
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving sugar after dinner I usually try to have some berries with cool whip. Also, Chobani makes 100 calorie greek yogurt bites. I get the raspberry and dark chocolate flavor. They are really good! I actually don't have a huge sweet tooth, but from what I hear, the cravings begin to go away after your body gets used to not eating as much sugar. Just stick with it for a week or two and i'm sure you'll be surprised at how little you crave sugary foods.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm. Alcohol lowers willpower - but I dont think this is your problem.
    Get fresh fruit and sprinkle on stevia. SOOOOO sweet it should kill your cravings.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    Weight watcher ice cream bars rock! Hehe low calorie def lower carbs than a candy bar! I'm super disciplined so Ill break up a pack of starburst over a few days! I always make room for a lil sweetness added to my diet a day!
  • Liz71459
    Liz71459 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks Anna. I never heard of shakeology but I just googled and it looks interesting. Says it helps with craving. I think I'll give it a try. I would love to look as slim as you do in your pic.:smile:
  • carleycook33
    Options
    I chew gum!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I realize I have to stop eating sugar all together

tumblr_mlpyxjrILM1rivouuo1_500.gif

Just eat a sensible diet and hit your macros. Don't isolate some foods into categories of bad or good.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I always have cravings for Sugar, but if you moderate your intake you could get grumpy. Just saying.
  • m03sh3ll
    m03sh3ll Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of licorice tea. It is amazing how sweet it is.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I am a big junk food junkie and totally understand. I decided in March that I couldn't stand being fat and exhausted anymore.

You have to start eating regular meals that fill you up and don't have a lot of sugar. Plan what you are going to eat and have it in your kitchen for the next day. If you work or travel, plan what you are going to eat and take it with you. Plan your snacks. For breakfast I drink a Slim Fast shake, which has a small amount of sugar, then fill up on regular wholesome food.

My sugar cravings have vanished, which is like a miracle. I'm definitely a sugar addict and feel on shaky ground when I go in a restaurant, but so far my desire to have a better life has won out.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

I realize I have to stop eating sugar all together

No, you don't (barring any medical reasons).

Calorie deficit = weight loss.
  • Liz71459
    Liz71459 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips and encouragment everyone. I 'll give it another go of course. Just have to be disciplined. Alcohol does lower willpower. Maybe I should give up the wine for awhile too. Anyone else like wine?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I always have cravings for Sugar, but if you moderate your intake you could get grumpy. Just saying.

Sugar can be both intoxicating and addictive. This is why Sugar needs to be controlled. Too much Sugar can be a bad thing. But too little Sugar is even worse. It's best to find a healthy balance with Sugar.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Just have to be disciplined. Alcohol does lower willpower. Maybe I should give up the wine for awhile too. Anyone else like wine?

Alcohol lowers a lot more than willpower. *nudge nudge, wink wink*

I avoid it for the most part. It's not evil. It's just calories but it can make you do things you regret later such as eating an entire box of those little powdered sugar donuts.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Sugar can be both intoxicating and addictive. This is why Sugar needs to be controlled. Too much Sugar can be a bad thing. But too little Sugar is even worse. It's best to find a healthy balance with Sugar.

This is true. OP, make sure that your Sugar wants to be controlled, first, though. You might start with something simple like light restraints.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    well you start out by getting sugar cravings (current), let some time go by, let them pass....wait a while........and then you will be in the state you were looking for (passed) \m/
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I stopped (mostly) by using flavored Keurig coffees, sweetened with xylitol and lightened by cream. Far lower-calorie than almost any candy bar or baking or whatever. And there are/were some good flavors available (and some bad ones, too).

However, I've since switched to high-quality, black, fresh-roasted, fresh-ground, espresso-brewed (and variants such as long black) coffee, and sold my Keurig machine.