Trying low carb

Options
emccand
emccand Posts: 195 Member
Is anyone else trying low carb? I love my bread, bagels and pasta but cant seem to stay under calorie when I eat these things. Plus my mom and my husband have both been eating less carbs and losing weight so I thought I would try it too. Im not cutting out every single thing with carbs in it but not eating bread, bagels, pasta, rice, potatoes, crackers, cookies, cakes, cereal ect. except for on the rare occasion. Its a big change for me, since I used to eat spaghetti, mashed potatoes, or mac and cheese every single day, and I am looking forward to seeing if this helps the pounds drop. Has anyone else done this and had success? How many weeks before you starting noticing a difference or dropping pounds? I am eating lots of fruits and veggies instead and drinking lots of water and have been at or under my calorie goals ever day but 1. Let me know what you thinks thanks!

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm a very-low-carb (ketogenic) dieter, have been for about 2-1/2 years to control my diabetes. I lost considerable weight in combination with diet and exercise - but best of all I've completely controlled all my blood sugar levels to normal readings.

There is a reasonably active low-carb group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

... as well as a ketogenic diet group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1143-keto

The one thing I'll advise you with a low-carb diet is if you lose weight with it, and get to a point where you're happy, and want to eat carbs again ... reintroduce them SLOWLY. Too many that lose weight on low-carb plans just jump back into high-carb diets when they reach a goal weight ... and gain it all back.

A gradual re-introduction is by-far the best way to go once a goal is reached.

Feel free to add me if you want.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm a very-low-carb (ketogenic) dieter, have been for about 2-1/2 years to control my diabetes. I lost considerable weight in combination with diet and exercise - but best of all I've completely controlled all my blood sugar levels to normal readings.

There is a reasonably active low-carb group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

... as well as a ketogenic diet group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1143-keto

The one thing I'll advise you with a low-carb diet is if you lose weight with it, and get to a point where you're happy, and want to eat carbs again ... reintroduce them SLOWLY. Too many that lose weight on low-carb plans just jump back into high-carb diets when they reach a goal weight ... and gain it all back.

A gradual re-introduction is by-far the best way to go once a goal is reached.

Feel free to add me if you want.

I agree with this.

Most people are not capable of dropping carbs completely without a binge later on. If you do start it, do it slowly. And then gradually re-introduce carbs later on, eg 2-6 weeks later.. Oatmeal or sweet potatoes in the evening would be ideal for example.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Last time I did a diet (14 years ago), I pretty much cut carbs, and gained it all back later, because it was very hard to avoid carbs all the time.

Can you start by limiting your carbs to 100g a day? Or decrease your diet to 40% carbs or something? It just seems much easier to maintain that diet than pretty much cutting carbs altogether.
  • runner_gurl76
    runner_gurl76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
    There are so many delicious and healthy things in this world - why waste calories on pre packaged, pre processed junk.

I have 2 words that will rock your world:

SPAGHETTI SQUASH
  • jordantylergillespie
    jordantylergillespie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Last time I did a diet (14 years ago), I pretty much cut carbs, and gained it all back later, because it was very hard to avoid carbs all the time.

Can you start by limiting your carbs to 100g a day? Or decrease your diet to 40% carbs or something? It just seems much easier to maintain that diet than pretty much cutting carbs altogether.

This is what I've been doing lately and has worked wonderfully. I've reduced carbs down to 40% of my daily intake and upped both protein and fat so that I can maintain that. It has been great, I'm not hungry, I have lots of energy, and I'm really enjoying finding new sources of protein like cottage cheese and different cuts of steak.

Remember that carbs in and of themselves are not the enemy necessarily, the high starch, high GI carbs, carbs that spike blood sugar are the ones to cut out.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I am a low carb'er.. Have been for about 4 months now.
    It works for me and I don't miss them at all. I am following Atkins
    so when I get to where I need to be I will gradually start adding carbs back into my daily routine.
    Good luck!!!
    fyi.... Adkins has yummy snacks.....
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If I keep my carbs under 60 I will lose weight. I agree with the above posters. When you do go to add back carbs into your diet do it slowly. Because you will gain the weight back with a vengence otherwise.

I would suggest cutting out the fruits that you are currently eating for a couple of weeks. Then add them back in slowly. You are already on the right track cutting out your breads and starchy vegetables.

I have been reading on the Paleo diet which is a version of low carb and it seems manageable.

Good Luck.
  • bridge1101
    bridge1101 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

This is what I've been doing lately and has worked wonderfully. I've reduced carbs down to 40% of my daily intake and upped both protein and fat so that I can maintain that. It has been great, I'm not hungry, I have lots of energy, and I'm really enjoying finding new sources of protein like cottage cheese and different cuts of steak.

Remember that carbs in and of themselves are not the enemy necessarily, the high starch, high GI carbs, carbs that spike blood sugar are the ones to cut out.

What he said..
    A strict Low carb diet can be maintained only if you're ready to drastically alter your lifestyle for the long term. Otherwise it comes back..
    I am on a low carb/good carb diet and i just try to increase my protein and fiber intake (to help me stay full). Though.. who wants to deprive themselves of mac & cheese. I love pasta, I love bread.. but i've just found other alternatives. Spelt, brown rice, Quinoa, sweet potatoes..the list is endless.
    And heres a nice trick for my pasta lovers.. ZUCCHINI!! grab a julienne peeler..steam for 30 seconds...add sauce..tastes just like your mom's spaghetti and meatballs.

----> in case anyone's interested..Zucchini spaghetti http://nomnompaleo.com/post/5695132949/zucchini-spaghetti-zoodles-meatballs
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I am a low carb'er.. Have been for about 4 months now.
    It works for me and I don't miss them at all. I am following Atkins
    so when I get to where I need to be I will gradually start adding carbs back into my daily routine.
    Good luck!!!
    fyi.... Adkins has yummy snacks.....

Oh my! The peanut butter cups are awesome
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Low carbing and strength toning is the only way to get results.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm not "trying" low carb, I am ketogenic Primal for life (gotta love the silly labels!). I'm extremely low carb and have no choice in order to heal my health (I might increase carbs back up to 10% once I'm recovered but that's about it). Also, I do not agree with a low carb eating plan that includes lots of processed food and artificial sweeteners. I eat this way for health first and foremost. The weight loss and lack of constant hunger are very nice side effects of my healthy lifestyle.

My diary is open to everyone. You might be surprised at my macros. Yes it IS healthy.

I don't miss bread, or any of the stuff I don't eat anymore, because I don't miss being sick and fat. :happy:
  • 08kat
    08kat Posts: 51
    Options
    I am loving low carb. I have only recently gotten serious about sticking to a low carb diet and exercising regularly. I have had a 15 pound weight loss in the past 3 weeks since I got serious. Lots of veggies, substitute spaghetti squash for pasta, lean meats and lots of egg whites. My saving grace are the Atkins products. They have added frozen meals to their line of protein bars and shakes. They taste great and keep my energy up. GOOD LUCK!!! :wink:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I am loving low carb. I have only recently gotten serious about sticking to a low carb diet and exercising regularly. I have had a 15 pound weight loss in the past 3 weeks since I got serious. Lots of veggies, substitute spaghetti squash for pasta, lean meats and lots of egg whites. My saving grace are the Atkins products. They have added frozen meals to their line of protein bars and shakes. They taste great and keep my energy up. GOOD LUCK!!! :wink:

Why only "lean" meats and why no egg yolks? But the Atkins processed foods are a "saving grace" (um, NO, I've read the ingredients). I don't get it. And this is why I'm no longer part of the Low Carb forum. A healthy low carb lifestyle requires lots of healthy fats from real food. IMO.
  • just_fur_luck
    Options

Why only "lean" meats and why no egg yolks? But the Atkins processed foods are a "saving grace" (um, NO, I've read the ingredients). I don't get it. And this is why I'm no longer part of the Low Carb forum. A healthy low carb lifestyle requires lots of healthy fats from real food. IMO.

Enjoy your arteriosclerosis.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Sorry, new to the quoting thing. But I agree that processed foods like the Atkins snacks and meals can not be good for you. If there are ingredients that I can not pronounce or need to spell check...I don't eat it. Low carb is a good way to lose weight, but there IS a difference between the type of carbs you eat.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I agree with bacitracin, spaghetti Squash has quickly become a favorite. I've been low carb for a while aside from a few cheat days. I thought it was giong to be harder then it was. I've lost weight but I just in general feel better, cutting down carbs and eating not processed stuff for the most part. Good luck, feel free to add me if you want
  • just_fur_luck
    Options
    Yes. Definitely spaghetti squash. If you had never had spaghetti squash and had always been told that real spaghetti was clear and limp and flavorless then you'd never be able to tell the difference.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Bump ... check out those links