Tips on training for my RAF fitness test?

Options
Hi guys,

I have around 6 weeks to get into shape before my fitness test. For my fitness test I have to:

Run 2.4km in 13 minutes
32 (full) sit ups
10 Press ups.

I'm not too worried about the second ones, it's more the running. I don't have access to a gym right now so I will be practising outside. I used to be very in shape, I could stay on an elliptical trainer for an hour at a time but when it comes to running I can only manage a few minutes before collapsing. Help - I'm panicking!!!!

Also, when my test day does arrive, at what speed will I have to run at to achieve the 2.4km in 13 minutes?

Also my knees tend to hurt when running on hard ground, any tablets/foods you can recommend to help this would be fab.

Thanks

Replies

• Walberg1960
    Options
    Maybe this will help you... You're used to the elliptical trainer, but this device doesn't give you any impact at all (I'm thinking of your knee problems...)
    Try to vary your running... Think of this: If you run up a small hill, you will actually use some of the same muscles, you use on your elliptical. So variation: Up/down, slow/fast, hard/soft ground... If it's possibly run with a friend, taking turns in deciding the route, speed and so on. All of this might help on your knee, and take a bit of the trivia out of training.

Good luck with the test (By the way, I'm in the RAF (Denmark) myself ;-)
  • mikejr1981
    Options
    The fitness test is all about muscle memory and mental will power. Run the 2.4k once a week for the six weeks. PLUS other trg like described above. Once your used to the distance you will know how fast to run and how you like running. Control your breathing and relax in to see it. If you feel concerned remember the RAF test is easy as sleeping and the best way to get promoted in the RAF is to he fat with glasses. At 32 I only have 11 minutes. Be the best. Army. Ha kidding hope you do well if you train regularly and have determination you will pass without problem same for press ups and sit ups just practice and make sure you do them correctly don't want the PTI not counting any.
  • mikejr1981
    Options
    The fitness test is all about muscle memory and mental will power. Run the 2.4k once a week for the six weeks. PLUS other trg like described above. Once your used to the distance you will know how fast to run and how you like running. Control your breathing and relax in to see it. If you feel concerned remember the RAF test is easy as sleeping and the best way to get promoted in the RAF is to he fat with glasses. At 32 I only have 11 minutes. Be the best. Army. Ha kidding hope you do well if you train regularly and have determination you will pass without problem same for press ups and sit ups just practice and make sure you do them correctly don't want the PTI not counting any. I run at 14kph which gets me just 10.15. Keeping above 11kph. Or 6.8 mph will just get you 13 minutes. 12 kph 7.5 mph is a reasonable pace for sub 12.30. Approximately by my working out
  • hakudoshi82
    Options
    To answer your speed question 2.4km = 1.5 miles

To run 1.5 miles in 13 minutes you must do 6.92mph (or pretty much rounding up 7mph)

Also forgot to say, in metric it would be 11 kph to do 2.4km in 13 minutes.