I bought my first spaghetti squash.....

leavinglasvegas
leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
edited September 20 in Recipes
Now I'm not sure what to do with it.....

I'd like to have it for dinner tonight.

Suggestions, recipes, a little spaghetti squash 101 please and thank you....:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    You can look up some recipies online for it. One I found was to cut it in half, lenghtwise (sp), dig out the seeds, rinse it, cover both top halves in foil and bake them. I forgot for how long and what temp.
    When cooked, dig the soft squash out with a fork and this is where it strands and looks like spaghetti. I served with with tomato sauce, chicken tenderloins, and grated cheese. Was SUPER yummy!!

Found one that's different than what I did. I'd cut it and scrape the seeds out first and cover it in foil. This way, your not trying to de-seed a hot squash! :)
    http://homecooking.about.com/od/vegetablerecipes/ss/spagsquashsbs.htm
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    I bought one once last year. It was quite a challenge to cut (trying to keep all my fingers and all, lol!) and was sooooooooo much food most of it had to be tossed out but here are my suggestions. Hubby liked the fritters, he did not eat the squash as a pasta substitute – it is a bit acquired.

Spaghetti Squash

1 spaghetti squash
    12 PC Lean Italian Meatballs
    1 cup pasta sauce

Directions: Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds/pulp. Sprinkle with pepper and garlic powder (or whatever seasoning you like). Bake at 350º for about 1 hour or until the skin gives easily under pressure and the inside is tender. Remove from the oven, let cool 10 minutes. Scrape out flesh with a fork, it will separate into spaghetti-like strands. Microwave meatballs as per directions and then sauce. Top 2-3 cups spaghetti squash and serve – serves 2.

WW Points: 6

Spaghetti Squash Fritters

1 cup cooked spaghetti squash
    ¼ tsp dried parsley
    ¼ tsp dried thyme
    1 garlic clove
    1 egg
    6 tbsp whole-wheat flour
    Black pepper to taste

Directions: combine ingredients and drop onto skillet covered in cooking spray, cook until golden brown. Makes 4 small fritters.

• indybrown
    indybrown Posts: 31
    So glad you posted this! I had one in my hands at the grocery yesterday and thought to myself that I didn't have a clue as to what to do with it and so I put it back!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    if you poke holes in it with a fork and microwave it for like 5 minutes the skin softens up and it's way easier to cut :)
  • valerie58
    valerie58 Posts: 149 Member
    Put brown sugar and butter on it and bake it in the over untill tender
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    if you poke holes in it with a fork and microwave it for like 5 minutes the skin softens up and it's way easier to cut :)

Thanks for the tip! Now I'll try this again.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    I put mine cut side down on a baking sheet (sprayed with non-stick spray first), I've never covered with foil.... bake at 350 for 30-50 min depending on how big size/weight of a squash you bought. It's done when a fork goes into the skin easily. Flip the squash over let it cool until you can handle them and then shred away with a fork.

It DOES make a lot more "spaghetti" than you think it will - and it's incredibly filling (at least for me it is).

I like to eat mine with some cooked ground turkey, spaghetti sauce (or just a big can of crushed tomatoes), mushrooms, onions, olives, whatever you want to put in the sauce. :love:

I found a recipe somewhere for basil pesto spaghetti squash, but haven't bought another one to try it yet! :embarassed:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    I cut mine in half, scoop out the seeds (don't throw them away, they are great roasted, just like pumpkin seeds), place flat side down in a baking dish with 1/2 to 1 inch water. Poke holes with a fork in the skin and microwave 10 to 20 minutes (depending on size). Shred into "spaghetti" strands with a fork and serve. I like mine with a little butter, salt and pepper. I've also done spaghetti sauce over it, but I like the butter better.
  • lobsterhug
    lobsterhug Posts: 8
    What great ideas! I'll have to try them myself.

I don't cut my squash in half. I put the whole thing in the oven (remove any stickers first) and cook it at 375 degrees F for 45-60 minutes. The squash strands have a bit of a crunch to them, so if you want less of that cook it longer.

When it's done, cut it in half from end to end. Scoop out the seeds and then fluff with a couple forks. I just top mine with some olive oil or butter and a good parmesan or pecorino romano, then salt and pepper to taste. Really yummy!

A friend told me that there is a Portuguese dessert that is made with spaghetti squash. I haven't had a chance to find the recipe yet, but maybe you can google something.

Have fun cooking and enjoy!
  • pettmybunny
    I had heard about cooking them whole, just make sure you poke holes for the steam to vent, or you might have an explosion. I don't do it, just because I like to roast the seeds. I'm not sure if I can do that if they are already cooked?
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Do the seeds make a good snack? My daughter and I like to snack on seeds and nuts......
  • pettmybunny
    They roast just like pumpkin seeds. If you like those, then YUP, they'll make a good snack. There's really only enough in one squash for one or two servings, but we have a big family, and usually use two squashes.
  • Johnnyswife
    They roast just like pumpkin seeds. If you like those, then YUP, they'll make a good snack. There's really only enough in one squash for one or two servings, but we have a big family, and usually use two squashes.
    Ooh...never thought about roasting the seeds before. I'll have to try it. Now I'm gonna have to buy a squash tommorow. :laugh:
  • Johnnyswife
    Ooh...never thought about roasting the seeds before. I'll have to try it. Now I'm gonna have to buy a squash tommorow. :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.