New to strength training question

Options
Hi, I'm new here and just joined a gym to strength train. I have an appointment set up for a fitness consult next week and may hire a trainer to help me set up a plan. I know nothing about strength training. I am reading up on it, but have a couple of questions. I'm 54 and female, carrying an extra 25 pounds of fat. Lost my muscle over the past three years. I was relatively fit before that.

I joined a gym with a circuit and did that yesterday. One question is how much cardio should I do the day I do the circuit and or lifting? I did 10 minutes on the bike and 20 minutes on the treadmill. I've used a treadmill for six months now and walk at about 3.5- 4.0/MPR for 30 minutes a few times a week. Had a knee issue so I have to take it that easy.

Should I take a day off in between strength training sessions? I am not in the least bit stiff or sore today, though I was sweating. Could anyone suggest good exercises with weights for soft upper arms and core?

Thx!

Replies

• kwogni
    kwogni Posts: 18
    Options
    To answer your questions,

On your weight training days, do the weight training program first and then if you feel you have the energy, do a cardio/circuit session afterwards. It very important to rest between your weight training sessions; the rest will be needed to repair and strength your muscles after each weight training session. The only exception to weight train over consecutive days is for example, day 1 is for the upper body muscles and day 2 is for the lower body muscles (with day 3 for rest).

Upper arms consist of both the bicep and tricep. You need to exercise both muscle types for balance. I would also train the shoulders while you're at it. As for the core, the standard sit-up or V-up should strengthen it or your could take a yoga class.
    I'll leave it to the other members here for their ideas on exercises because there are plenty available out there on the internet.
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about strength training.

There's a good chance your consultant won't either. Their main job is selling memberships and classes. Bearing that in mind, your best bet is to take a look at 'Starting Strength' by Mark Rippetoe, or 'New Rules of Lifting for Women', watch some youtube videos, and get a very basic understanding of strength training. You'll then be able to access whether this consultant is going to be able to help you get strong and healthy, or have you flopping around on a bosu ball with some pink foo foo weight dumbbells.
  • beacrys
    beacrys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thx n3ver3nder. I figured as much re: the consultant which is why I was thinking of hiring a personal trainer for a session to set up a plan. Then I would work that for a few months and have then in again. Does that make sense? Will pick up the "New Rules" book. and yes, video. Can't believe I didn't think of that.
  • beacrys
    Options
    Thx kwogni. I thought as much about the rest. I was just sitting her kind of itching to go back to the gym today. I was surprised to find that I enjoyed the ST. I'm curious about how fit I can get again at my age.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thx kwogni. I thought as much about the rest. I was just sitting her kind of itching to go back to the gym today. I was surprised to find that I enjoyed the ST. I'm curious about how fit I can get again at my age.

That's me too... I'm 47 and hoping to get in shape to get through menopause healthy! I started with a circuit 2/3 x a week about a month ago, I do roughly 15 min cardio to warm up first and then 10 after to cool down.

Good luck!
  • beacrys
    Options
    Yeah Henriette, that's my plan for this week too. My daughter just picked up "New Rules of Lifting For Women" for me. Can't wait til she gets home with it.
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You'll then be able to access whether this consultant is going to be able to help you get strong and healthy, or have you flopping around on a bosu ball with some pink foo foo weight dumbbells.
    [/quote]

haha, this actually made me laugh out loud. This was totally me when I started at the gym, then I bought "new rules of lifting for women" and hired a trainer to show me how to use the big, scary weights in the gym. I love what I do now so much more than the typical circuit they show you and the inches are literally falling off. Have fun learning!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers are hit and miss. If you want to maximize your benefit for the time and effort spent, get on a good beginner program. I recommend either Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. Follow the program exactly as prescribed. It is not wise to modify the program as a beginner.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    OP...too echo others, yes...get into true, structured strength program and follow the program. My strength program is the focal point of my fitness routine so my cardio is actually pretty minimal. If you want to make good gains in the strength department, you don't want to be doing all kinds of crazy cardio on top of it...you just don't have enough recovery. I do enough cardio for heart health and general fitness...basically run a few miles a couple days a week and a lot of walking. I don't do any aerobic cardio on lifting days.
  • elopro
    elopro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Those are all really great questions. I was a personal trainer for a short bit (NSCA certified). I wanted to put in my thoughts because you mentioned a few things that stuck out to me. First, don't worry if you are not sore. No pain no gain is a bunch of bull. Secondly, really ask you potential trainer lots of questions. Make sure they are making sure your form is proper. I used to make my mom come into my gym so I could train her (she was about 58, this was 2 years ago), and she was really worried about lifting weights. The biggest thing is having proper form for safety, and light weight and higher reps for loosing weight.

The fact that you have a knee issue you and you are on a treadmill worries me a little. Are you walking or jogging? Watch the jogging if you are on the treadmill. Impact is great for you bones but you can build bone density with weight training. Great exercises for your knees include step up and step downs. Start on something small, like a curb, facing the curb step up onto it, then step back down. That is a step up. Then from the top of the curb, facing the street, step down with one foot keep the other foot solidly on the curb, touch your heel (or whole foot if you have to) to the ground and bring it back up. That is a step down. These are excellent rehab exercises for your knees.

As for cardio on you strength training days, always always always do a warm up and stretching before any session. So 10 mins on the bike then stretch. Stretching should be kinetic, meaning it has movement. It's not ballistic stretching, so try not to bounce, but don't lie on the ground and stretch or stay still and stretch. It defeats the purpose of warming up, which raises the heart rate. The idea is to keep the heart rate up before you get into your workout.

I do recommend making sure you have the energy to do your strength training before you jump into a cardio workout if you are going to combine them (as previously mentioned in another reply). BUT if you would like to think forward into goal setting. You are not going to start using your fat as energy ("burn fat") until at least 30 mins into your moderate to heavy cardio workout. You burn through your sugars and proteins first. So when you start getting energy levels up, for fat lose goals, you may want to consider working toward a 30 min cardio workout before your strength training.

As for upper body and core exercises there are a few. Squats are particularly great for the legs and core if you are doing them correctly, which most people don't. It takes and incredible amount of back strength to do a proper squat. Good exercise to work up to. Look into rows as well. Excellent for upper back support. As for an all out core exercise, look into planks and variations thereof. There are always beginner exercises to all of these and thats where you should start. Too be honest it should be very little weight until you know you are nailing your form. No sense in strengthening your body into improper alignment.

Again really ask you personal trainer lots of questions. It's no joke how many unqualified trainers there are out there. And there are many paths to reach to desired goal so make sure they listen to you. Better to be safe then sorry.

My apologies for the book that I just wrote to you! I really wish you the best of luck and hope you get an amazing trainer!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

There's a good chance your consultant won't either. Their main job is selling memberships and classes. Bearing that in mind, your best bet is to take a look at 'Starting Strength' by Mark Rippetoe, or 'New Rules of Lifting for Women', watch some youtube videos, and get a very basic understanding of strength training. You'll then be able to access whether this consultant is going to be able to help you get strong and healthy, or have you flopping around on a bosu ball with some pink foo foo weight dumbbells.

I agree. I see personal trainers put their clients through really bizarre and overly complicated routines, where all you really need to see good results is simple: compound lifts with the heaviest weight you can do with good form. If I were you, OP, I would do what the trainer says, but then move on to the classics (as quoted above).

edit: I don't do any cardio on lifting days. Don't need it. If you want to warm up, you can do 5 min on an exercise bike or something. Or just do your normal exercises with a very light weight to warm up.
  • beacrys
    Options
    Those are all really great questions. I was a personal trainer for a short bit (NSCA certified). <>
    My apologies for the book that I just wrote to you! I really wish you the best of luck and hope you get an amazing trainer!

Thx for taking the time to write your comment. I appreciate it. This will help me know what to look for in a PT. I am walking on the treadmill only at this point. Really miss running, but...
  • beacrys
    Options
    Personal trainers are hit and miss. If you want to maximize your benefit for the time and effort spent, get on a good beginner program. I recommend either Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. Follow the program exactly as prescribed. It is not wise to modify the program as a beginner.

I'll look into these. Thx.
  • beacrys
    Options

I agree. I see personal trainers put their clients through really bizarre and overly complicated routines, where all you really need to see good results is simple: compound lifts with the heaviest weight you can do with good form. If I were you, OP, I would do what the trainer says, but then move on to the classics (as quoted above).

edit: I don't do any cardio on lifting days. Don't need it. If you want to warm up, you can do 5 min on an exercise bike or something. Or just do your normal exercises with a very light weight to warm up.

This helps so much, thank you.
  • beacrys
    Options
    OP...too echo others, yes...get into true, structured strength program and follow the program. My strength program is the focal point of my fitness routine so my cardio is actually pretty minimal. If you want to make good gains in the strength department, you don't want to be doing all kinds of crazy cardio on top of it...you just don't have enough recovery. I do enough cardio for heart health and general fitness...basically run a few miles a couple days a week and a lot of walking. I don't do any aerobic cardio on lifting days.

Will be searching out a program instead of the circuit. Thx.
  • beacrys
    Options
    You'll then be able to access whether this consultant is going to be able to help you get strong and healthy, or have you flopping around on a bosu ball with some pink foo foo weight dumbbells.

haha, this actually made me laugh out loud. This was totally me when I started at the gym, then I bought "new rules of lifting for women" and hired a trainer to show me how to use the big, scary weights in the gym. I love what I do now so much more than the typical circuit they show you and the inches are literally falling off. Have fun learning!
    [/quote]

THIS ^^ is what I will do. And THAT comment made me laugh too.
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    HEY OP. Send me a friend request or PM me. I am a strength and conditioning certified personal trainer.
  • beacrys
    Options

Loving the New Rules book. Thank you so much. Now to find a trainer to teach me proper form. I am now exploring 5X5 training.
  • BoyzMom520
    BoyzMom520 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I skimmed most of the comments but forgive me if this is repeat.

I balance a bit of cardo with strength training. Strength training, in the long run, is what is going to help you lose weight. Does your place have Body Pump? I am currently taking that class at our local YMCA, I love the class. We have ALL ages and all levels, but it really helps you in strength training.

On my off days I usually do cardio. This has helped me lose a bit and build some muscle. I believe as we grow older, we need the strength training.
  • beacrys
    Options
    I skimmed most of the comments but forgive me if this is repeat.

I balance a bit of cardo with strength training. Strength training, in the long run, is what is going to help you lose weight. Does your place have Body Pump? I am currently taking that class at our local YMCA, I love the class. We have ALL ages and all levels, but it really helps you in strength training.

On my off days I usually do cardio. This has helped me lose a bit and build some muscle. I believe as we grow older, we need the strength training.

Yes, after all my research online and reading New Rules Of Lifting For Women I am convinced that ST is what I must do. I am going to jump in the deep end and either do the 5X5 program or the NROFW program. I have a question posted re: which I should do.