Juicing

I'm thinking about doing a juicing fast. What are your thoughts on it?? :happy:

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Really expensive way to get way more micronutrients than your body needs, while totally neglecting protein and fat which your body needs more.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    bad
    Exhaustion, Weakness and Dehydration

Without sufficient calories and nutrients, the Juice Diet can cause low blood sugar levels, tiredness and physical weakness. Since we also reap fluids from foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables, soups and milk, you may experience dehydration. Other variations of juice-only diets, such as the Celebrity Juice Diet, encourages use of herbal supplements. These ingredients and particular juices, such as lemon juice, can have diuretic, or fluid-flushing, effects on your body and can also make way for dehydration. Symptoms of dehydration may include tiredness, dry mouth, reduced urine output, thirst, headache, dizziness and mental confusion. People who do feel energized while juice fasting may be reaping a placebo affect, according to Mayo Clinic nutritionist Katherine Zeratsky. The Juice Diet encourages exercise, which can cause or worsen exhaustion, weakness and dehydration.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/334309-dangers-of-the-juice-diet/#ixzz2RJvX1pTK

Reduced Metabolism

Your metabolism, or the rate at which your body converts food into energy, changes depending upon how much food you eat, how often you eat and how much physical activity you partake in. Restrictive dieting forces your body into "starvation mode," according to the National Eating Disorders Association. In an attempt to compensate for the little amount of energy and nutrients you consume, your metabolism slows down. While a few days of low-calorie intake may not cause permanent damage, frequent or occasional "cleansing," which Bailey recommends, can have a longer-lasting impact. The more your metabolism slows, the greater your chance of weight gain while eating fewer calories.

Emotional Effects

The Juice Diet can also dampen your emotional health. If your blood sugar drops, you may experience low moods similar to depression. You may also feel deprived of solid foods and normal amounts of calories and feel uncomfortable around meal times, particularly if friends or family members are enjoying normal food. Restrictive diets, such as the Juice Diet, can also lead to chronic dieting, according to NEDA, which is associated with heightened stress, anxiety and clinical depression. If you stop the diet or "cheat" by eating solid foods, you may feel guilt or shame. These emotions are problematic, as they can trigger a cycle of on-again, off-again dieting. If you have history of a psychiatric illness, such as anorexia, bulimia, depression or anxiety disorder, the Juice Diet may trigger or exacerbate your symptoms.

Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/334309-dangers-of-the-juice-diet/#ixzz2RJvcZJrv
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Uh oh . . .here it comes!

riot_zpsb9cd4c68.gif
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    You're more than welcome to do things that are at best useless and at worst eff up your body.

Balance calories, balance macros, and exercise. It's that simple. Jucing and fasting is just a bad way to eff your metabolism, hormones and lean mass.

(exception being intermittent fasting and variants)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    Not what I thought this thread was going to be about.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    I did a juice fast once for breakfast. I was a hangry ***** until lunch.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Not what I thought this thread was going to be about.

Yeah, I just heard a Jose Conseco interview on the radio today. Thought it would about that.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Don't do it.
  • I'm thinking about doing a juicing fast. What are your thoughts on it?? :happy:

I'll do it if you do it.. :flowerforyou:
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Really expensive way to get way more micronutrients than your body needs, while totally neglecting protein and fat which your body needs more.

Done in one! Exactly this^
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member

QFT

My roommate and her boyfriend did one. They spent ~$70 a day for both of them. x3 days = $210 (or $105 for one person) for 3 days. That's a whole month of groceries for me.
  • I LOVE JUICING!
    Here are some great recipes

Sweet Green Juice
    Add the Kale & Parsley first. Then add the Romaine, Cucumber, Celery and Apple. The apple will sweeten up the juice. Apples are considered a “neutral” fruit and can be combined with vegetables.
    2 cups Kale
    2 cups Parsley
    3 cups Romaine
    1 Cucumber
    3 Celery Stalks
    1 Apple
    Kale Green Juice
    Of all green leafy vegetables, kale is the most nutritionally dense.
    3 Carrots
    1 Apple
    3-4 Celery Stalks
    3 Cups of Kale
    Smooth Green Juice

1 green apple
    1 cucumber
    5 large leaves of red leaf lettuce
    1/2 lemon, peeled
    1/2″ ginger (optional)

I mentioned this to someone else earlier - if you arent a big fruit and veggies consumer - use a product called FRESH. Its a powder that provides all adequate amounts. Made by onebode live
  • cmstirp
    cmstirp Posts: 51 Member
    I don't get the juicing trend. If you want to go on a liquid diet, why not just throw all your fruits and veggies in the blender? You get the fiber that keeps you feeling full, and you get more mileage out of each piece of produce.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Uh oh . . .here it comes!

riot_zpsb9cd4c68.gif

I feel 10x more badass just watching this.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    I don't get the juicing trend. If you want to go on a liquid diet, why not just throw all your fruits and veggies in the blender? You get the fiber that keeps you feeling full, and you get more mileage out of each piece of produce.

Because most people have a blender, but few people have juicers. How do you expect Breville to keep the lights on with that kind of thinking?

I'm sorry to say that I fell for the Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead juicer advert, errrr, I mean film, and rushed out and bought a juicer. Then I came to my senses, learned how to eat properly and track everything I ate, and have very successfully lost 50 pounds of fat (and little to no muscle), without ever consuming a juice. The wife uses it periodically, though, so it wasn't a total waste of money. Just mostly.
  • cmstirp
    cmstirp Posts: 51 Member

Because most people have a blender, but few people have juicers. How do you expect Breville to keep the lights on with that kind of thinking?

I'm sorry to say that I fell for the Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead juicer advert, errrr, I mean film, and rushed out and bought a juicer. Then I came to my senses, learned how to eat properly and track everything I ate, and have very successfully lost 50 pounds of fat (and little to no muscle), without ever consuming a juice. The wife uses it periodically, though, so it wasn't a total waste of money. Just mostly.

Ahh, it all makes sense now :smile:
  • hayleygirl01
    hayleygirl01 Posts: 48 Member
    Alrighty... I see where this is leading to... not a good idea :0) Maybe I wont "fast" but ill replace a meal with a juice instead.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    I tried a three day juice cleanse. I lost like 5 pounds, but immediately gained it back. It's like losing weight when you're sick - not permanent. I definitely think it could be good to juice for breakfast or a snack, but it's better just to eat healthfully if you want long term success.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    You don't need a machine to chew your food,

Your gut flora keep you healthy, why would you deprive them of even one meal? Just eat the veggies and fruit.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    I would never never never do that. I hate juicing.