Muscle gain using high BF%

Options
Is it possible to for your body to help build muscle using stored fat as an energy source to fuel muscle growth if eating at a calorie deficit. For example a 180 pound 24 old male 5"8 with a body fat % of 21 eating just under maintenance, 2700 calories. Getting enough protein, carbs and calories. Just wondering

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Are you new to lifting? If so, maybe. Or since you are young and male, maybe. Wouldn't hurt to try. If you get frustrated with lack of progress either in gaining muscle or losing fat you can always change it up later.

Read this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
  • StephanDwarika
    Options
    well kinda new. Used to life before but got sick and gained a bunch of fat over my muscle. But would like to ask all teh crazy questions first before I start something :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,725 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to for your body to help build muscle using stored fat as an energy source to fuel muscle growth if eating at a calorie deficit. For example a 180 pound 24 old male 5"8 with a body fat % of 21 eating just under maintenance, 2700 calories. Getting enough protein, carbs and calories. Just wondering
    Possible yes. Probable no. There's lots of variables. Genetics, hormones, intensity, rest, etc. I tried it as a novice bodybuilder and it didn't work. That was with 100% dedication to it at the time (I was 21 at the time).
    Realistically, if it could happen, then pro/amateur body building competitors would be low body fat all the time instead of going through bulk cycles to gain muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • StephanDwarika
    Options
    Possible yes. Probable no. There's lots of variables. Genetics, hormones, intensity, rest, etc. I tried it as a novice bodybuilder and it didn't work. That was with 100% dedication to it at the time (I was 21 at the time).
    Realistically, if it could happen, then pro/amateur body building competitors would be low body fat all the time instead of going through bulk cycles to gain muscle.

IDEA Fitness member

Ok in relation to what you said. Am 24 bf% 21 5"8 180 pounds. I have some muscle, but If I would to drop down to my goal of 10% body fat I will look to lean. lol. and I want to add some muscle on to that. So Would it be more feasible to eat clean with a calorie surplus of lets say 250-300 to gain muscle mass per week. I only want like 3-5 pounds of muscle max. Not a lot. And then afterwards to a small cut to lose the weight and keep muscle. I know that a standard. Am just scared of putting on a bunch of extra fat and look bloated. What would you recommend.

With current exercise calorie maintenance is about 2900. Could you recommend whats best then please. Kinda short to so don't want a whole lot to look short and wide. Thank you. Have been doing some resistance training for the last two weeks. Eating clean. No refined carbs. lean meats, wholewheat everything, long grain rice and using whey 100%. Also what would a good macro be. Right now I go 2500 calories, 180 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat, 220 grams of carbs.

Please.... am begging.. lol. Don't want do a dedication and doing all the wrong things. Thank you
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Ok in relation to what you said. Am 24 bf% 21 5"8 180 pounds. I have some muscle, but If I would to drop down to my goal of 10% body fat I will look to lean. lol. and I want to add some muscle on to that. So Would it be more feasible to eat clean with a calorie surplus of lets say 250-300 to gain muscle mass per week. I only want like 3-5 pounds of muscle max. Not a lot. And then afterwards to a small cut to lose the weight and keep muscle. I know that a standard. Am just scared of putting on a bunch of extra fat and look bloated. What would you recommend.

With current exercise calorie maintenance is about 2900. Could you recommend whats best then please. Kinda short to so don't want a whole lot to look short and wide. Thank you. Have been doing some resistance training for the last two weeks. Eating clean. No refined carbs. lean meats, wholewheat everything, long grain rice and using whey 100%. Also what would a good macro be. Right now I go 2500 calories, 180 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat, 220 grams of carbs.

Please.... am begging.. lol. Don't want do a dedication and doing all the wrong things. Thank you

Cut the body fat first.

You don't want to start a bulk phase at 24% body fat.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    It will happen, just VERY slowly. There's a reason there are such things as "bulking" and "cutting" cycles.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You may want to take a look at the Adonis index forums. Both the creators Jonn Barban and Brad Pilon are knowledgeable when it comes to fat loss and muscle gain.
    How did you come up with 24% b/f? If you are a true 24% b/f then I would cut the fat first by eating at a calorie deficit but I would continue with lifting weights to maintain my current muscle mass.
  • StephanDwarika
    Options
    You may want to take a look at the Adonis index forums. Both the creators Jonn Barban and Brad Pilon are knowledgeable when it comes to fat loss and muscle gain.
    How did you come up with 24% b/f? If you are a true 24% b/f then I would cut the fat first by eating at a calorie deficit but I would continue with lifting weights to maintain my current muscle mass.

Sorry miss worte. On average about 20% body fat. Well on average. But I don;t look that big, thats the thing. If you take a look at my profile picture you will see. Ok thanks will do
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I've gained strength while in a deficit, targeting a loss of 1lb per week with near-optimal macros. There is no doubt about the strength gains, because I can and did measure it.

Many say it's impossible to gain muscle mass in a deficit. Once I halted my bulk and started my cut, I was braced for a grinding period with no gains. But that's not what happened. The strength gains kept coming though more slowly.

I cannot confirm muscle mass gain. The truth is, it doesn't matter whether I did or I didn't gain muscle mass. I'm happy with the result. Lifting even more heavy *kitten* weight, and looking better.

It's fine to ponder the question you raised. But lift either way.
  • StephanDwarika
    Options
    I've gained strength while in a deficit, targeting a loss of 1lb per week with near-optimal macros. There is no doubt about the strength gains, because I can and did measure it.

Many say it's impossible to gain muscle mass in a deficit. Once I halted my bulk and started my cut, I was braced for a grinding period with no gains. But that's not what happened. The strength gains kept coming though more slowly.

I cannot confirm muscle mass gain. The truth is, it doesn't matter whether I did or I didn't gain muscle mass. I'm happy with the result. Lifting even more heavy *kitten* weight, and looking better.

THats very interesting. I guess its all trial and error. I was wondering also for a calorie surplus on days you life heavy and deficit for the others you may do cardio or HITT. What would that do?
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I aim for a 500 calorie deficit each day, mainly because that is simple to manage. I eat back a conservative estimate of my exercise calories. I don't have any reason to think eating a surplus on lifting days would be beneficial. Digestion does not work on a 24 hour window.
  • StephanDwarika
    Options
    I aim for a 500 calorie deficit each day, mainly because that is simple to manage. I eat back a conservative estimate of my exercise calories. I don't have any reason to think eating a surplus on lifting days would be beneficial. Digestion does not work on a 24 hour window.

LOL. ok thanks. Well I think I will do a 20% fat cut right now, and the add on half pound of muscle a week. Should just stick to the basics that work rather than trying to short cut it. Thanks all.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Well I'm an inch shorter than you and in my pics weigh 180lbs. So it's "how" and "where" you put on the muscle that will help dictate how you look.
    Figure with about 1lb of muscle, you'll put on about .3lbs of fat. That's just how it works ( in calorie deficit, you lose lean muscle along with fat too). So if you're thinking 3-4lbs then you probably need to shoot for at least 5-6lbs of lean muscle gain. Even if you were stringent with nutrition, workouts and rest, 1lb of muscle gain a week is still pretty hard to do.
    Also you workouts need to be more directed to volume training. Lots of sets with moderate reps.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

This is not an unnatural phenomenon. Gaining strength from heavy lifting even while on calorie deficit is due to neuromuscular adaptation.

IDEA Fitness member
  • StephanDwarika
    Options
    Went and check my body fat a bit more accurately and its about 17%. lol. Wel thing is I have been doing resistance training with a rtio of about 45 carbs 45 pro and 10 fat. I have lost some fat but not so much muscle. In fact I my chest is starting to form maybe because of the weight loss but its a bit harder and so are my hands. SO I think if I keep up the resistance training for a couple of week at a 20-25% cut (yeah i knw thats a lot.) and then afterwards add on some muscle. I just wanta nice over-roll body that can show I workout. So not a whole lot there. Will do the short reps plenty of weights. Was actually gonna just follow exercises from p90x. Can hit the major muscle groups 3 times a week and get in some HIIT in there.

This is not an unnatural phenomenon. Gaining strength from heavy lifting even while on calorie deficit is due to neuromuscular adaptation.

IDEA Fitness member