Random, senseless acts weight lifting

Options
NormInv
NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
Is there a disadvantage to randomly lifting heavy throughout the day when you get the chance. Lets say you got dumbbells at home or the office and when you get 5 minutes, you do dead lifts or shoulder presses. You keep your protein intake to meet daily goals but do not time your meals around the random acts of lifting weight. Could this be good for you?

Thoughts?

Replies

• phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    the benefit of lifting comes from overloading the muscles. then while resting your body will adapt to that overstress. just randomly lifting here and there doesn't overload.

So while it's better than nothing I suppose, it's far from the optimal way to train.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Sure why not. But I agre with this guy ^^
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If that is literally the only way to get in a work out, then sure. I had an exercise class as part of my diabetes instruction, and half the stuff there was things you could do while in your office chair etc. Of course, that class was really geared to obese people who don't do anything, so the idea was to at least get them to do something.

If you are already working out though, and you start throwing in extra exercise, I'd worry about over training. You have to let the muscles rest!
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am already working out but some weeks are busier.

Also agree that the point is to fatigue the muscle group you are working on and just randomly doing heavy reps wont tire the muscle.

Thanks.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    A lot of people lift multiple times per day.
    I do on weekends. =)