Low carb and low cal things to munch on when studying

Options
Need to hit the books hard but find I concentrate better when munching on snacks, but this is going to make me fat so suggestions for things I can have in an almost constant supply for nibbles. NB: I already have air and I am getting fed up of cucumbers.

Replies

• RiesigJay
    RiesigJay Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, lightly steamed. Or homemade kale chips.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I bought an air popper popcorn machine for like 20 bucks....and you can eat a lot of popcorn for like 120 cals....I like to add parmesan cheese and garlic salt on top
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I like questions where beef jerky is the answer. LOL
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    mmmm I love beef jerky....turkey jerky is good too....but I hate how expensive it is
  • xynyth
    xynyth Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Popcorn has been my go to study snack lately. Study and paper writing snacks have been my downfall lately with the end of semester. There are just so many raw veggies I can eat :/
  • babecon
    babecon Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    S'all about the houmus! And carrot sticks, nom nom
  • sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    broccoli sounds good right about now. Popcorn is way too carby a snack for the likes of me :( (despite it being my favourite snack)

Carrots are OK I guess in moderation.

Alas, I wish they sold beef jerky over here in the quantities I need. It's so expensive for just a little pack (UK)

Grrr!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Expensive jerky, eh? How are the pork rind prices? LOL
  • kgoodman0108
    Options
    Celery with cream cheese! One of my favorite snacks.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    You could make little deli meat and cheese roll-ups and cut them up into several different snack-sized pieces :)
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options

Oh my god, this is GENIUS. Why did I never think to do that? I'm so having that tomorrow!
  • cutemisty5
    Options
    I love beef jerky but when I ate it for snacks it gave me lots of er......'wind' and bloating. Don't know why, but it was disappointing because it was a great high protein snack :-/
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    my favorite is 'cheese chips' ... I take different kinds of cheese, slice them, put them on parchment paper and cook them in the oven ...

pull them out when browning and they harden into crispy, salty snacks. I'll go crazy and sprinkle various seasonings on them sometimes.

I just throw them all in a bag when done and munch on them anytime.
  • calculustiger
    Options
    Plain popcorn (i.e. no butter, add all the spices you want) is definitely my new favorite study snack, each bag (3-4 cups) lasts over 20 minutes and is only about 100 calories.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Plain popcorn (i.e. no butter, add all the spices you want) is definitely my new favorite study snack, each bag (3-4 cups) lasts over 20 minutes and is only about 100 calories.
    ... even better WITH butter. Still low carb, great flavor, healthy fats. The only reason to avoid butter on popcorn is if it doesn't fit your caloric intake requirement for the day... Or if you're a non-lacto vegetarian or vegan.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots and hummus. I'm a total baby carrot fiend. Now, since I've learned to cut out boredom and habit eating, I've cut back on my hummus addiction, but other things I always like to keep around are roasted edamame beans-wasabi flavor and green granola (look up hemp and greens superfood cereal)
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Quaker Rice Crisps!!!! Also the Special K rice cracker chips. Both delicious and you can eat a whole container for like 300 calories.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options

Oh my god, this is GENIUS. Why did I never think to do that? I'm so having that tomorrow!

Even better with the little Laughing Cow flavored cheese triangles. The regular are 50 cals/3 grams of fat and the lite are 35 cals/1.5 grams of fat. gives you the crunch factor...
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Quaker Rice Crisps!!!! Also the Special K rice cracker chips. Both delicious and you can eat a whole container for like 300 calories.
    ... um ... how is something made mostly of carbohydrate considered low-carb?
  • calculustiger
    Options
    ... even better WITH butter. Still low carb, great flavor, healthy fats. The only reason to avoid butter on popcorn is if it doesn't fit your caloric intake requirement for the day... Or if you're a non-lacto vegetarian or vegan.
    True, but low-calorie was specifically asked for. Eliminating the butter lowers the calorie count, and is therefore more appropriate for this thread.

Additionally, assuming the thread is about studying in college, finals are coming up soon for many, and so if one is snacking in large quantities, the lowest calorie option could be very useful.