Have you ever "OD-ed" on a food?

Barneystinson
Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
By, OD-ed, I mean, literally "overdosed" on a type of food - be it healthy or no? Ever had something you had SO MUCH of you got sick or couldn't even look at the stuff again?

I can think of a couple things:

Swedish Fish -- just ate way too many of these as a kid

Wendy's Frosties -- used to love these then had one when hungover and got REALLY sick

McD's fries...or...really anything from McD's -- food poisoning leading to dehydration (this actually happened to me as a young kid - loved their fries, then they changed oil and BAM! Instant stomach trouble)

Scalloped potatoes -- ate them alllll the time as a kid and now can't stand them as an adult

Hamloaf -- see scalloped potatoes reasoning...LOL

Veggie burgers -- just ate too many of them in college as a cheap meat substitute

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Beleive it or not: Yogurt

The summer after my freshman year I had it every day for breakfast and lunch. That was way more years ago than I care to admint and, to this day, I really just can't face yogurt.

I'm also that way about crab dip. Someone made a warm crab dip appetizer once that had mayo and worstershire sauce. I got so sick that I still can't eat crab in any kind of cream or mayo type sauce. Makes me ill just to think of it.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Beleive it or not: Yogurt

The summer after my freshman year I had it every day for breakfast and lunch. That was way more years ago than I care to admint and, to this day, I really just can't face yogurt.

I'm also that way about crab dip. Someone made a warm crab dip appetizer once that had mayo and worstershire sauce. I got so sick that I still can't eat crab in any kind of cream or mayo type sauce. Makes me ill just to think of it.

Oh yogurt I can totally believe. I don't like normal Yoplait light/regular for that reason - used to eat the stuff all the time in college, too, because it was cheap and I had coupons, lol. If I taste the stuff now I think "Mmmmm chalk" after getting used to eating Fage and other Greek-type yogurts.
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Yes I have. First when I was newly married I ate a lot of ramen noodles, they are cheap and we didn't have much money for food. Couldn't stand to even look at them for quite awhile. Still not a huge fan of eating them either. Second at the beginning of April this year I had so much candy in one day that I literally made myself sick for 2 days. I am a breastfeeding mom and it affected my milk and ended up making my baby have stomach issues as well. I haven't touched candy since.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    In another post I mentioned : I ate an entire (large) jar of Marshmallow Creame. I can not stand the smell of marshmallows to this day.

Also - I got intoxicated on peppermint snapps and slammers and beer and shots of Tequilla. Well you know how that night went I'm sure. I get ill to this day just at the smell of peppermint.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Ice cream. My grandmother raised me on it, and when I was older, I'd eat it until my epiglottis froze. And I got fat. There were many years starting in college that I couldn't stand to even look at it in the store anymore.

Recently I had a roommate bring ice cream home on a regular basis and I ended up starting to eat it again...but only those little single serve containers of Haagen Dazs as a treat.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I've definitely ODed on some foods as a kid and it's taken me until now (age 23) to get back into them. Some that I'll never eat again are salami and liverwurst. I just can't eat them, ham is sort of the same story. And pork chops. I'm picky with what meat I'll eat now, although I'm branching out slowly. I ODed on oatmeal during college but now I eat it daily again. Same with certain cereals like Kix. I tend to eat a food daily and then get sick of it for a few years and then pick it up again. It's just how my eating habits work.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    This is a little different but when I was younger my favorite ice cream was schwann mans butter pecan ice cream. One day I had been feeling horrible for 2 days and my stomache was just killing me but I was so hungry so I got a bowl of it and got sick. (Turns out I needed exploratory surgery and was in the hospital shortly after that) But now I can't stand the ice cream. I think of it and it just makes me ill.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    In my early adulthood - ate chicken leg quarters because I was broke and they were CHEAP! Haven't eaten them since.....
    Also - when I was a kid, I ate a WHOLE pecan pie - haven't touched one since.
    And last - glazed donuts - ate one every morning for 5 years - yuck!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Chicken. I haven't eaten pork or beef in a few years, and I never realized how sick you could get of chicken.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    It may sound weird, but I like chicken, I just can't eat the leg quarters. Many years ago, there was this store that sold them for 49 cents a lb. so I would buy a lot.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    When I was pregnant with my first child I had cravings for lemons, one day I ended up eating two whole lemons.....the result wasn't pretty! Ten years later while pregnant with my second child the craving came back, needless to say I did NOT give in to it that time!!!!!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Chicken. I haven't eaten pork or beef in a few years, and I never realized how sick you could get of chicken.

I had a friend who worked in a chicken processing plant one summer. She won't touch chicken. Can't say I blame her!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Senior year of high school, our 4th year spanish class went to Rocky Point for Spring Break. Yeah, homemade, from scratch curros. Watched them roll the dough, put it through the shaper and cut it right into the vat of oil to deep fry it, and then bring it out and roll it in cinnamon and sugar. YUM!!! We ate at least a dozen 12" churros PER student. Yeah, won't ever do THAT again :laugh: But they were soooo good! :bigsmile:
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    I was in Ontario on business last week. I think I OD'd on alcohol. All types. The thought of drinking anything makes me want to puke, and I didn't ever get super drunk. It's just that I don't drink much anymore trying to eat better and lose weight and all....I still feel like half my body is booze right now. Bleh
This discussion has been closed.