Chocolate experts out there?

Options

Replies

• andrewjuu
    andrewjuu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    When I was in San Francisco I got to try the Scharffen Berger Extra Dark (82% cacao) fine artisan chocolate. It's probably been my favorite so far. But for every day chocolate use I eat what I can buy locally & usually that is Green & Black or LIndt, which are both 85% cacao. One I tried but didn't like as much was the Ghiradelli brand dark chocolate....I found it overly strong & bitter tasting.
  • rachelamedley5
    rachelamedley5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    organic cocoa from essential ingredient is good makes delicious chocolate creme brulee, use sugar substitute, eggs and cream if you are low carb and coconut milk if you are cutting calories. Takes about an hour in the oven and 6 hours in fridge and if you can't resist a crunchy top make an almond or hazelnut praline less cals than the regular sugar topping. hmm might make one tomorrow.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I love green and blacks 85% but when you start eating dark maybe start at 60% or something as it can taste bitter. Once you get used to taste you'll start noticing the sweetness in it :)
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments about starting out around 60% and working your way up from there. I personally love the Scharffen Berger 72% Dark chocolate tasting squares. I buy them in a box and they are just 24 cals a piece.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I like 50-60%. Took me time to get used to it though and Lindt is my favourite. I find anything above 60% bitter. I really don't enjoy milk chocolate anymore, only dark, so that really is a great bonus!

Zara
  • firedupfriend
    firedupfriend Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Madagascar's best kept secret.......Madecasse Dark chocolate with.....cinnamon and sakay pepper...or....sea salt and nibs.....or...arabica coffee.....or ....pink pepper and citrus.
    Worth leaving home for!!!!!
    http://store.madecasse.com/
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Vogses, Milka(the kind you get from europe) or Ghrahdelli.

All make fantastic chocolate bars. Not sure if Milka does a dark or not, but their milk chocolate bar is to die for.
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Vogses, Milka(the kind you get from europe) or Ghrahdelli.

All make fantastic chocolate bars. Not sure if Milka does a dark or not, but their milk chocolate bar is to die for.

Milka is worth going to switzerland for!!
    You can buy it in teeny tiny little bars too, so I'm quite sure they have no calories!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Green and Black 85% or Vintage Plantations Artisanal Chocolate 90% are my favorites. I have some almost every day. They are almost the only one's I've found that do not contain soy.
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love, love super dark, dark chocolate... my newest LOVE is THEO brand chocolate... I love their 85% bar and limit myself to 1/2 -1 oz per day.... I particularly like it because it tastes great and doesnt have soy lethecin (sp?) in it.. avoiding soy these days
  • Logical_Integrity
    Options
    Anyone know exactly what I should look for and where to get it? Does it need to be a certain percentage of cocoa solids? Something like that?

Try Green & Black's Organic Dark Chocolate 85%
    It also melts well in microwave making it easy to drizzle over snacks.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I love, love super dark, dark chocolate... my newest LOVE is THEO brand chocolate... I love their 85% bar and limit myself to 1/2 -1 oz per day.... I particularly like it because it tastes great and doesnt have soy lethecin (sp?) in it.. avoiding soy these days
    I've had THEO. It is very good. It's just a little bit pricier than Green and Black or Vintage Plantation in the store where I get them.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I like Ghiradelli, Scharffenberger (sp?), and Valrhona.

I buy Ghiradelli 60% dark chocolate chips and let them melt in my mouth one by one. They're convenient, they take some time to eat if you do it this way, and a couple of chips is good to kill my appetite for an hour or so.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So I love chocolate and I've heard that eating a few pieces of really good quality dark chocolate can satisfy a craving. Anyone know exactly what I should look for and where to get it? Does it need to be a certain percentage of cocoa solids? Something like that?

I want it to be the kind that melts right when it hits your mouth

I go with 80% Scharffenberger when I want something super sweet. Otherwise, I tend to eat 90% or 100% cacao from a boutique vendor called Hotel Chocolat. Economical, and really good quality.
    http://us.hotelchocolat.com/

If I want to splurge though, I'll pick up a 75%-85% Rey Sol, if and when I can actually find it.
  • moonshadows72
    moonshadows72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    try a really small glass of port with your 80-85% dark chocolate.... HEAVEN!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Lindt 99% Cocoa: Cocoa Noir. It comes in big bars that you can break into the individual squares to eat on any given day.
  • cutiemexiz
    cutiemexiz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this because I totally love chocolate, but hadn't figured that I could have it so reading this makes me happy :) I'll definitely be trying some of these :) I did buy a dark chocolate, but its 54% would that still be considered "eh" or is it okay?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have a fantastic organic German chocolate at the moment that I think was over 90% and not all that bitter but I threw the wrapper out so foget the name.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this because I totally love chocolate, but hadn't figured that I could have it so reading this makes me happy :) I'll definitely be trying some of these :) I did buy a dark chocolate, but its 54% would that still be considered "eh" or is it okay?
    If you like it, it's more than okay. All things in moderation.