Apparently my metabolism is dead

Options
2»

Replies

• Cobwellac
    Cobwellac Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    For those telling the OP to eat more, she's already said she tried that and actually gained weight.
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    For those telling the OP to eat more, she's already said she tried that and actually gained weight.

Uh..l don't see that posted anywhere. Even so, she wouldn't have given it enough time if that happened. After eating VLCD for a while then starting to eat more your body gains some weight but starts losing again after a few weeks.
  • crobert
    crobert Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @parisgypsy:
    I am taking GNC womens ultra mega enery and metabolism
  • Broejen
    Options
    I am taking GNC womens ultra mega enery and metabolism and looking into buying the fitbit (doing research as I type this)

I bought a FitBit Ultra in August but now have a FitBit One and it's helped me tremendously in my weight loss! Their customer service is awesome as well (they generally replace for free if something happens). I'd recommend FitBit to anyone!
  • crobert
    Options
    @Jennilyn76 :

Question, is the app for fitbit on I-phone 5 free ? Do they advertise it as free and then try and charge you to get more info ? One web site I read said the app is free and you can track some info, but if you want the whole experience and all the info available, you have to pay a monthly charge....
  • crobert
    Options
    What is an OP ? Not sure if you were replying to my post... I have not tried eating more to lose weight. I've cut down drastically since January 5th. Apparently I've cut down too much though... But I really am not hungry. I feel properly nourished every day. I can't imagine eating more than 2000 calories in one day and keeping them semi healthy... I'd feel stuffed all day and night....
  • Broejen
    Options
    @Jennilyn76 :

Question, is the app for fitbit on I-phone 5 free ? Do they advertise it as free and then try and charge you to get more info ? One web site I read said the app is free and you can track some info, but if you want the whole experience and all the info available, you have to pay a monthly charge....

Nope, it's all free! There IS a premium membership, but I have it (was given to me by the company because of some problems I had) and I wouldn't pay money for it. But to use the FitBit and app is free. :)
  • Broejen
    Options
    What is an OP ? Not sure if you were replying to my post... I have not tried eating more to lose weight. I've cut down drastically since January 5th. Apparently I've cut down too much though... But I really am not hungry. I feel properly nourished every day. I can't imagine eating more than 2000 calories in one day and keeping them semi healthy... I'd feel stuffed all day and night....

OP is Original Post(er). Your body has gotten used to the amount of calories you are giving it, that's why you don't feel hungry anymore. Check out the group Eat More 2 Weigh Less. It'll help you out. :)
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    crobert - what a great post and a lot of positive feedback. Like many of the women who have responded, I too am in the same boat, just turned 50 and like to think I am very active. Work out 6-7 days a week w/running and elliptical and doing the Insanity work out when I can squeeze it in. On top of that I try to maintian a daily step goal of 14,000.

I am currently 5'3" and 150 lbs, ideally would like to get to and maintain at 140. My great downfall is my appetite. I really have to be very diligent about my eating. Unfortunately, I go through cycles where I am very disciplined and get to my goal weight, but all that diligence and avoidence gets old and then I break the cycle and creep back up and then get mad at myself and re-start the cycle all over again. So for me, in order to maintain I need to balance both diet and activity.

Not sure about the other ladies, but I also find I can not eat like I use to in my 20's, 30's and 40's. If I tried to eat like that today I definitely would be as big as a house!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

So she should slowly increase calories.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Me too. Turned 42 last week, stick around 1200cals (net) and haven't lost any weight for 2mths.
    Not discouraged but getting rather peeved, lol.
  • Broejen
    Options
    1200 calories is rarely enough for anyone... Figure out your BMR and at least net above that!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Yup you killed it. I had the same problem. I am trying the tdee method now. I feel better eating more.
  • crobert
    Options
    @Jennilyn76
    You have been really helpful the last few days ! Thanks so much !
    I bought the fitbit through amazon so it should be here in about 5 days. I signed up and linked fitbit to MFP already... Few questions for you becuase I tried adding food on both fitbit and MFP just to see the caloric difference and there is one so I'm not sure which site is more accurate.... I added a banana on MFP and it said 90 cal and then added 3 oz on fitbit and it said 102 cal...
    ** Have you figired out which site is more accurate? Do you enter your food through one or the other or both?

** I don't have the fitbit yet, but when I logged on this morning it said I've burned about 400 calories.. how does it know that ? :) I did ab ripper X this morning so I entered my exercise in for 100 calories, but that's all I've done so now it says I've worked off about 500 cal... Curious how it got the first 400 without my wearing the fitbig yet....)
    ** Do you prefer to enter your exercise through fitbit or MFP ? And do you even enter aything at all since you are wearing the fitbit all day... does it add your calorie loss automatically (wifi) to the fitbit web site ? I assume for now since I don't have the fitbit yet, I should manually enter my work outs, but once I have the fitbit, it will add calories burned for me ?
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Not Jennilyn, but a fitbit user.

I use MFP for logging food and any non Fitbit captured exercise (weights, bike, other non step activities), The two communicate really well.

As for whose calories are more accurate --- can't speak for Fitbit but I always take MFP's with a grain of salt, since it is mostly user generated info. Weight what you can and go with labels over the database.

The 400 calories that it listed were the "you are alive" calories -- the ones you burn for simply being alive. See what it gives you for a day before you link your Fitibt and you will get an estimation of your BMR.

My daily calorie goals are slightly different for MFP and Fitibt. I try to stay below both, but MFP is what I use for my actual goal.

I set MFP to sedetary, this results in me getting additional "exercise" calories each day. I prefer that. It has really helped me associate how much I can eat with how active I was that day.
  • GKoz004
    GKoz004 Posts: 87
    Options
    Two words: Eat More.

Trust me, I know what it feels like to not see the scale move. I was at 148 (fluctuated to 150's) at 5'1" and eating 1300 calories a day w/exercise, and didn't see the scale budge. I was convinced dieting had ruined my metabolism, but I sucked it up and raised my calories. Slowly my body adjusted and the pounds melted off faster, can't explain it.

I'm now maintaining 98 pounds with 1800-1900 calories (started weight training), so safe to say all my misconceptions about my metabolism were in fact, misconceptions. Just have a little patience and faith in your body's ability to properly use the correct and sufficient amount of fuel you give it.

I'm in a similar situation that you were in. I'm trying to increase my intake by 100-200 cals/week (to start), and I've noticed a definite gain. How long did it take your body to sort of level off and start losing again? I've heard it takes a month or so of eating at maintenance, but I'm not even close to that (It should be 18-1900 cals) and I'm "gaining". I'm trying to press on, but it's discouraging. Just thought some info from someone who has had success could help haha