My calories are spent but I'm hungry

Options
So, I stayed within the range today but I'm hungry (probably 5 out of 10) and could go to bed soon. I'm new to this system with tracking the calories and the added on of calories if you exercise. I didn't exercise today. Was quite lazy, actually! So, I guess I'm wondering for the people that track their caloric intake:

Option A) do you exercise to eat more
Option B) not eat anything (and go to bed).
Option C) respond to hunger cues and eat because I'm hungry.

I think my body is not used to this less of calories at this time of the day because night time is when I binge.

Replies

• MissBernie73
    MissBernie73 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If your really hungry have a piece of fruit or something light. Dont go hungry. Take it one day at a time and eventually you will work out what works for you. Maybe you need to give yourself more calories a day and try to get in some exercise even if its just a walk around the block.
  • Robin_Anne
    Options
    Yeah, that's a good idea. I could take a quick walk and it would distract me from thinking about restriction. I just had a juice shake but maybe a handful of almonds would help. I was low on protein today. Thanks for answering!
  • juliana813
    juliana813 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i usually exercise twice a day. First to burn off my breakfast calories, and the second time to burn off 1/2 my lunch calories. I would also try eating foods that are high in protein such as nuts, as they'll keep you fuller longer and make excellent snacks! If you are hungry before bed, the best thing you could eat would be fruit or yogurt or 100 calorie snacks. DO NOT eat a full meal! If you do, you won't be too hungry for breakfast. Hope i helped! x Oh also i eat back some of my exercise calories sometimes.
  • Robin_Anne
    Options
    Thank you for pointing out to not eat a full meal. I did eat the nuts and am less hungry (it's manageable now). I keep thinking of grilling up some chicken breast but that would put me way over. Like you said, don't eat a full meal.

I'm going to go bed before I open up the fridge! :wink:
  • coreybooth
    Options
    A tip I have learned over the past couple of year is that sometimes I mistake hunger for dehydration. A lot of time I have my food and half hour later feel hungry again, so then I just have a pint a water and then ten minutes later the hunger feeling has gone :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of water and reassess in 20 minutes.
  • Robin_Anne
    Options
    I should have read the water tip earlier. I've only had 4 cups today so that probably is it!!

I almost made the chicken and even googled bake time and set the oven to pre-heat--but then I stopped myself. I ended up eating a dill pickle (random, I know) cause it's zero calories and my sodium levels were under. Still wasn't enough so had a little hummus with baby carrots. Still went over on calories by 300, but better than yesterday when I was over by 3,000!

Must work on the perfection vs "to hell with it" extreme thinking.

Gotta try the water, next time!!
  • amakkun
    amakkun Posts: 5
    Options
    If you find yourself constantly hungry at night, you could try changing your meal times or eating 4-5 smaller meals per day. It will feel like you are eating more, but you are actually eating the same amount of calories.

Good luck!
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    Jog in place during those commercials burns about 100 cals on a average 150lb person per 10 mins

Mini meals work awesome too
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    It's ok to go over your calories every now and then, just try and stick to relatively healthy foods. Don't deny your body food, it won't be very happy and will probably get you down. Smile
  • runlikeananna
    runlikeananna Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I save calories to combat the late night munchies. Cheap (cal wise) foods that I fall back to are blueberries, slim pasta, eggplant, tomato, cottage cheese.
  • holly273
    holly273 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Are you set to a 1200 goal? If so, and you're still hungry at the end of the day, maybe you need to reassess. You may be overdoing it, and you might find you'll do just as well (and won't beat yourself up so much from being so hungry you go over goal often) if you up your goal to something more manageable.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You could eat some vegetables. They are very low calorie, provide great nutrition and help stave off hunger for those moments. I keep bags of frozen available in my freezer. Besides, most of us could afford to eat more veggies.

For the most part I've always done plenty of extra cardio so I could eat more. For the last 9 months, however, I've not been able to run much due to a knee injury, and yet I've had no issue with maintaining weight and losing weight as I've wanted. The trick really is calories.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Option A) do you exercise to eat more
    Option B) not eat anything (and go to bed).
    Option C) respond to hunger cues and eat because I'm hungry.

A - True & you get to eat heaps more the more you exercise

B- Why?

C- That's how you got fat in the 1st place.

My opinion...... A. How do you think I get to eat about 3000 calories a day? I still can't even eat more than about half.

BTW that pickle is NOT zero calories. Water & air are the ONLY zero calorie items on the planet. Everything else has something.
  • Robin_Anne
    Options
    I'm set at 1280 per day which factors out to a 2 lb. Loss per week?

I love all the suggestions and tips everyone is giving. Taking it all to heart. I might make a bulleted list of all these tips and post to fridge so I don't forget them!
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Now normally I always suggest following hunger cues..however, since your intention is to essentially retrain your body to expect less food (I'm guessing) I'd either go for a light walk or snack on some blueberries. I also will whip up a frozen banana in the food processor and throw in some cocoa powder for a late night snack
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm new too so try not to comment when they are so many already successful people around, but here is my experience so far far (40 days today, hey me!)

Do you have your cals set up adequately, if you have set up for 1.5-2lb a week and you are hungry maybe go for 1lb a week (no idea about your weight, etc as can't see your profile) But as much as I hate all those posts of "Eat more"(like whf wants to eat more when they want to lose weight?! ) I have to admit that setting up 1.5lb a week for me at the start was over-ambitious. Weight did come off that fast, first two weeks were brilliant, but I now find myself obsessing over counting all day long, worrying if I have enough calories left for 5 nuts... that's no way to live :-) I now have to face increasing my calories with 200 to get me to more manageable level and I know I'll probably gain few pounds in the next to weeks, it nearly kills me mentally. Wish I had been more realistic at the start, buy hey, we all learn :-). So make sure you are at a good starting point

Water is your friend! Many days two glasses of water has bought me another hour to get me to dinner time.
    Protein does keep you full for longer, I still need to work on increasing protein in my diet.
    Handful of nuts are mostly fat but will get you another hour or so. I love being able to nibble on them during the day.
    Lots of vegetables - they add volume so fill you in, yet have very low calories.

I made a promise to myself that I won't go hungry. I personally prefer few nuts that fruit as my carbs are always quite high as it is, but my rule is as long as I've eaten healthy food all day long if I'm still hungry I eat some more. I usually ask myself am I hungry enough to eat spinich or brocolli (not fond on either:-) ), if answer is yes than I'm truly hungry and I do eat

Good luck and add me if you need more friends
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You posted while I was typing :-)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 1280 per day which factors out to a 2 lb. Loss per week?

I love all the suggestions and tips everyone is giving. Taking it all to heart. I might make a bulleted list of all these tips and post to fridge so I don't forget them!

Two pounds a week is an ambitious goal. Try to keep in mind that if you want to keep the weight off permanently that you need to focus on getting rid of old habits and replacing them with sustainable good ones. Give yourself time to lose the weight, there really is no reason to rush.

If you're struggling with this, cut back to a loss of 1 pound a week and make sure you're doing some strength training. You'll feel better and maintain more lean body mass as you lose.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i hope your cal limits are not 1200