Where are my EMTs, Firefighters, and First Responders at?

Options
I'm an EMT and Firefighter. I'm looking to get into better shape partly due to the demands of being EMS. Any others out there? I'd love to see how you handle working out even when you're facing a 24 hour shift. And meeting new friends with similar interests is always fun!

Replies

• Raezor1207
    Raezor1207 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    In it's not the same, but I am studying to be an R.N
  • deemartin2
    deemartin2 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    That's cool, I have a lot of respect for all nurses. My friend and I actually talked about get our R.N. or becoming flight medics one day. How do you fit in workouts with a crazy schedule?
  • Canadianraven
    Options
    911 police dispatcher here. I get in my workouts after a dayshift, or before nights. I'm a single mum so I joined the Y which has free kids activities for my girls while I work out. We have a gym at work too so occasionally I make it there on my lunch. Though I am looking forward to the summer when it'll be nicer to get workouts in like biking.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Here.
  • deemartin2
    Options
    911 police dispatcher here. I get in my workouts after a dayshift, or before nights. I'm a single mum so I joined the Y which has free kids activities for my girls while I work out. We have a gym at work too so occasionally I make it there on my lunch. Though I am looking forward to the summer when it'll be nicer to get workouts in like biking.

Ok, I gotcha and thats awesome that the Y has stuff for kids while you workout. I try to workout on my days off and if I have time on days that I work. Though I find I love to use work as an excuse. lol "I'm tired, don't have time etc" I now cannot claim those though, thanks!

@OneEye - Woot! glad you could make it :drinker:
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to become a ff.
  • Canadianraven
    Options

Ok, I gotcha and thats awesome that the Y has stuff for kids while you workout. I try to workout on my days off and if I have time on days that I work. Though I find I love to use work as an excuse. lol "I'm tired, don't have time etc" I now cannot claim those though, thanks!

Bit of a misconception about you firefighters. We think you have all the time in the world to work out. That and wash your cars lol. j/k :tongue:
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

WaffleHouse.jpg

Ok, sorry it was just a joke.
  • deemartin2
    Options

WaffleHouse.jpg

Ok, sorry it was just a joke.

:laugh: Don't I wish sometimes!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    From my experience, a lot of them are ALREADY in great shape, so finding them here may not be the best place.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • deemartin2
    Options

Bit of a misconception about you firefighters. We think you have all the time in the world to work out. That and wash your cars lol. j/k :tongue:

workout? no. wash the car ehh maybe, thats only after we've gotten the cat out the tree that is :happy:
  • Yumaz
    Yumaz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i'll be the first to respond to any place offering free booze or sex
  • Yumaz
    Yumaz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    yeah my wife called to get her cat out of the tree. they said no. surprise.
  • anichole85
    anichole85 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    911 dispatcher married to a FF here. My husband's dept lets them go to the Y on shift to work out every day when they aren't busy. They just respond to calls from there if necessary.
  • deemartin2
    Options
    From my experience, a lot of them are ALREADY in great shape, so finding them here may not be the best place.

IDEA Fitness member

You obviously haven't been around small local volunteer and even small town paid companies: EMS or Fire Service. Just as many if not more have lots of room left for improvement. Just what is your experience with Fire Service and EMS?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

You obviously haven't been around small local volunteer and even small town paid companies: EMS or Fire Service. Just as many if not more have lots of room left for improvement. Just what is your experience with Fire Service and EMS?
    Not small town ones obviously. Practically every place I've lived has EMS and firefighters who were in shape. Oh well.

IDEA Fitness member
  • carlialjim
    Options
    E.M.T for my school and studying to be a nurse...
  • deemartin2
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Not small town ones obviously. Practically every place I've lived has EMS and firefighters who were in shape. Oh well.

IDEA Fitness member

Small town volunteer do not have the PT requirements as say FDNY. Even the paid Ambulance corps I have worked with (I can not speak for all of course) do not put you through a PT test. So along with that you will find individuals with the training and skills but not necessarily the fitness levels, especially with the fact that they are only active when needed. There is a lot of hurry up and wait.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Obviously you have not seen my local volunteer FFs...fat (one's name is Jumbo) and a bit dumb. I live in a real rural county with no monies, and sometimes a fire scene ends up looking like this...
    Firefighters_1_zps25e0c7d7.jpg

I totally kid. My hubby is Chief. :heart:
  • deemartin2
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Obviously you have not seen my local volunteer FFs...fat (one's name is Jumbo) and a bit dumb. I live in a real rural county with no monies, and sometimes a fire scene ends up looking like this...
    Firefighters_1_zps25e0c7d7.jpg

I totally kid. My hubby is Chief. :heart:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: LOVE THIS!!