Doing this for my daughter's sake

tamaramtz
tamaramtz Posts: 13
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
My 12-YO is battling hypothyroidism and PCOS, with its accompanying insulin resistance and tendency toward elevated triglycerides. She has been overweight since birth and in spite of eating healthier than probably every other kid her age in the country and involvement in taekwondo she keeps packing on the pounds. She needs to lose half her body weight to get to the heaviest end of normal for her age. :( I, too, am hypothyroid and have other hormone imbalances, but have been blessed in that my conditions haven't manifested themselves in excessive, uncontrollable weight gain.

Both my daughter and I are working with a fitness trainer who sent us to MFP for extra guidance.

I know that technically my daughter can't be here, but her weight and medical conditions are quickly becoming a matter of life and death, so here we are. Her goal is to get and keep the insulin resistance in check and put off type 2 diabetes (which runs rampant through my family and my husband's) indefinitely, manage her PCOS, and teach her thyroid to work with her. It would be nice if in the process she ends up looking like a normal, healthy teen. My goal is to lose the last 10 lbs. of baby weight (the baby is now 18 months old and I have been stuck at this weight and size for a full year), avoid type 2 diabetes (I already have some warning signs and need to be extra careful), tone and firm up, build endurance, boost my thyroid and balance the other hormones, and most importantly, provide support for my daughter by walking the walk with her.

There is already such a wealth of info on this site I doubt we will have much to add and will mostly just lurk. I've already learned a lot from you in the short time that I've been lurking. Thank you! You guys are awesome. :)

Oh, and as a bit of personal info: We're in TX (best state in the Union, thankyouverymuch ;)), my husband and I have 6 children, I've been a health nut for a little over a decade and keep getting nuttier, our family's favorite form of exercise is taekwondo (by this time next year 4 of us will have our black belts!), and I homeschool 2 of my 4 school-aged children. And there you go. Happy Monday! It's a great day for a new beginning.

Replies

• LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Im in TX too!

Glad you are here!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Welcome and good luck to you and your daughter!!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Sounds like you've got the right mind-set, your daughter is lucky to have you to support her!! My heart goes out to her, what a difficult age to be in her situation. (Not that any age would be 'ideal'!!)
This discussion has been closed.