Does quitting soda actually help with fat/weight loss?

Options

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero daily. I drink Pepsi Max daily.... I can put away 2ltrs a day....... I still lose weight.

You will also lose teeth.
    Why, do you think people who drink soda don't know how to brush their teeth? What an idiotically ignorant thing to say.

You know that tooth decay from drinking fizzy drinks isn't simply a result of not brushing your teeth afterwards right? 2L is a VERY large amount of soda.
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    For years I was a "red Coke" drinker. Yes, I adored the full calorie, wonderfully sugary stuff in the red can. Diet soda always seemed like a poor substitute so I wasn't tempted by it. When I had a young child my biggest temptation was fast food restaurants with play places and self serve drinks. I could easily consume 2 large Cokes. I also meet other moms who, like me, had figured out which of these restaurants mixed the Coke with just a tad more syrup.

These days, however, I've switched to Coke Zero. I have one each with lunch and dinner. When I finally did give up "the real thing" I was very hungry at first. I had to learn to eat my calories instead of drinking them. It has made a huge difference, not only am I seeing it in my weight, but I also have more energy and I wake up earlier now.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cut back on soda and sugary drinks as well. I still have a sprite here or there, but for the most part I dont really drink it anymore.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero daily. I drink Pepsi Max daily.... I can put away 2ltrs a day....... I still lose weight.

You will also lose teeth.
    Why, do you think people who drink soda don't know how to brush their teeth? What an idiotically ignorant thing to say.

ALL carbonated drinks are corrosive to teeth (even water) - both my boys were banned from them by their orthodontist while they had their braces. Carbon dioxide is so highly corrosive that carbon capture & storage facilities (to reduce CO2 in the atmosphere and stop global climate change) have to use tremendously thick containers just to ensure they don't corrode through in under 100 years. (Not sure what happens after that....)

It corrodes your teeth as soon as you drink it: if you brush your teeth immediately then you are effectively brushing your enamel off with the acid (same for OJ) - according to the orthodontist so don't shoot me! Slightly helped by having with a meal rather than on its own.

I have one diet soda with my lunch. For the rest I choose the options of water, tea or white wine:drinker:
  • cindyzens
    Options
    I have found your taste buds change. When I have a Diet Coke I crave something sweet after. I prefer unsweetened iced tea or flavor water.
  • GazF1888
    GazF1888 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't see how drink's with zero calories like Pepsi Max & CocaCola Zero can hamper weight-loss? There's a decent amount of caffeine in these drinks too which can taper hunger slightly & increase speed of metabolism..
  • ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    After years of drinking soda on a daily basis, the last time I had soda was on the April 17th. I'm trying to give it up because I heard it helps with weight and fat loss. I have also heard that it can contribute to all sorts of medical conditions like artritis and multiple sclerosis. Granted, I'm not at much (if any) risk for either of those in particular, but I do have a family history of diabetes and would love to avoid that if I can. I have had anxiety and depression issues for a good chunk of my life and the nurse practitioner I see for that recommended at least cutting down on how much soda I drink to see if getting less caffeine helps me. I'm trying to go cold turkey and drink tea, water or milk when I'm thirsty. (I don't drink a lot of milk and haven't in the past few years, so I don't have the problem with getting extra fat through that.)

Has anyone had any luck with losing weight after giving up soda? I'm not expecting to drop a ton of weight and be skin and bones immediately since I see that as incredibly unrealistic. I don't expect to be skin and bones, ever, nor do I want that.

EDIT: Feel free to add me as a friend. I always look forward in helping encourage others in their weight loss goals.

Soda has nothing to do with MS. Also you can't ever be "at risk" of MS. You either have it or you don't.

EXACTLY!!! I don't drink soda, never liked it and I have MS. I have relatives who drink soda every day all day and they don't have MS. There is no connection between soda or anything else for that matter and MS period!

Phenylketonuria can mimic the symptoms of MS and usually goes away once you stop drinking diet soda.
  • ImpossibleGrl
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda about 8 years ago and lost 20 pounds within a few months (never really drank diet soda, just didn't like them). I found that when I drank soda I ALWAYS wanted to eat something with it. Now I cannot even stand the slightest taste of any kind of soda, it is all WAYYY too sweet. All I ever drink now is water, unsweetened tea, and coffee with Splenda only. And wine. You can pry my wine from my cold, dead hands.
  • jennifer1726
    Options
    I have heard the same thing. I never drank full sugar soda but I was hooked on the diet soda, then when I went to have surgery I was told I needed to come off of sodas. I have, and that was in March, now I don't even crave them anymore. In fact I have even come off of caffiene and that is something I never thought I would be able to do. :blushing:
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a big accomplishment.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it has helped me but it is a personal choice and one that I am glad I made. I drink water, coffee, almond milk in my cereal or protein shake and an occasional beer. I don't miss soda at all. As a matter of fact, I tried to drink one a few weeks ago and I couldn't drink even half of it. It tasted like fizzy salt water. Blech!
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Just think about it. One can of soda has about the daily limit you should have for sugar, like 40+ grams, major yikes. Think about all that sugar you are no longer having, it's truly making a difference along the line somewhere.
    But soda isn;t the only bad guy....gotta cut those juice drinks that are also loaded with the sugar.

I think the last time I had a soda was around thanksgiving last year, not that it's much better, but it was just a diet one.

Go water and green tea (not the bottled ones, but the tea bags)! One of the best health decisions you'll ever make.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    After years of drinking soda on a daily basis, the last time I had soda was on the April 17th. I'm trying to give it up because I heard it helps with weight and fat loss. I have also heard that it can contribute to all sorts of medical conditions like artritis and multiple sclerosis. Granted, I'm not at much (if any) risk for either of those in particular, but I do have a family history of diabetes and would love to avoid that if I can. I have had anxiety and depression issues for a good chunk of my life and the nurse practitioner I see for that recommended at least cutting down on how much soda I drink to see if getting less caffeine helps me. I'm trying to go cold turkey and drink tea, water or milk when I'm thirsty. (I don't drink a lot of milk and haven't in the past few years, so I don't have the problem with getting extra fat through that.)

Has anyone had any luck with losing weight after giving up soda? I'm not expecting to drop a ton of weight and be skin and bones immediately since I see that as incredibly unrealistic. I don't expect to be skin and bones, ever, nor do I want that.

EDIT: Feel free to add me as a friend. I always look forward in helping encourage others in their weight loss goals.

Soda has nothing to do with MS. Also you can't ever be "at risk" of MS. You either have it or you don't.

EXACTLY!!! I don't drink soda, never liked it and I have MS. I have relatives who drink soda every day all day and they don't have MS. There is no connection between soda or anything else for that matter and MS period!

Phenylketonuria can mimic the symptoms of MS and usually goes away once you stop drinking diet soda.
    PKU has nothing to do with only diet soda. It will drastically affect someone if they consume ANY source of phenylalanine, which is basically any protein source (meat, nuts, even some fruits and vegetables.) If someone has PKU, they know it from birth, as without a diagnosis as an infant, they would they will suffer from serious mental disabilities and will fail to develop. PKU is a genetic condition, it's not something someone can develop later in life.
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    switched from sodas to mio and water before I began to work out and stuff. Of course I wasn't actually measuring the stuff before I joined mfp but I can say I dropped at least 10 lbs from that alone.... good luck
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Even diet soda is awful - there is nothing good in it for your body and usually has a ton of sodium. If artificially sweetened, it can make you have cravings for sweets too.

I like EmergenC when i want something fizzy. It's high in Vit. C (obviously) but really tasty and gives me a sweet/fizzy fix. I like tangerine, but there are many flavors. Sparkling water (not club soda) is good too.

I've seen articles saying that carbonated drinks, including diet, can actually grow cellulite in the lab. Whether it's true or not I'm not sure, but if there is no nutritional value, why consume it? I have a freind who gives up Diet Coke for Lent, and always loses around 10 lbs, so that is a good measure of what it does to your body!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Even diet soda is awful - there is nothing good in it for your body and usually has a ton of sodium. If artificially sweetened, it can make you have cravings for sweets too.

I like EmergenC when i want something fizzy. It's high in Vit. C (obviously) but really tasty and gives me a sweet/fizzy fix. I like tangerine, but there are many flavors. Sparkling water (not club soda) is good too.

I've seen articles saying that carbonated drinks, including diet, can actually grow cellulite in the lab. Whether it's true or not I'm not sure, but if there is no nutritional value, why consume it? I have a freind who gives up Diet Coke for Lent, and always loses around 10 lbs, so that is a good measure of what it does to your body!
    Water has no nutritional value, either.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    *shrug* If it's not diet, cutting it out saves calories. I drink diet soda. I like it and I don't buy into all the scary stories about it. I've lost weight just fine. Besides, diet soda gets rid of my appeitite.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Water has no nutritional value, either.

Shhh.. you are supposed to keep that a secret....

Also, why consume it... simple, it's delicious.
  • Raeesa777
    Raeesa777 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I dropped a lot cutting down soda.. i used to love the 500ml Coke.. now i dont drink at all for 6 months now.. not even the diet version