Losing weight with PCOS.

Options
2»

Replies

• witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I had a feeling that people were going to suggest low carb! I have done this before and had my best success with it, I seem to lose better with low carb than anything else, I just get frustrated that I can't even have low calorie things that I like that are high in carbs.

Seems like I need to invest in a low carb cook book and get logging! Please do feel free to add me everyone, would love some extra support.

Thank you all so much for your replies xxx

I agree with Albertabeefy. I think a ketogenic lifestyle will help based on the comments from other people on MFP and that it is associated with other metabolic problems. I would also suggest following the Paleo/Primal guidelines of minimizing processed foods and trying to get the highest quality animal products possible.

I eat extremely low carb and I don't miss the higher carb stuff at all, because i don't miss being sick and fat. Not at all.

I have lots of Paleo cookbooks and even though I can't access many of the ingredients, I still find them useful.

I'm having lots of trouble losing weight suddenly, but that doesn't impact my health journey at all. It's a blessing to feel terrific and 30 pounds over weight feels a million times better than 90 pounds over weight.

Thank you! I am shopping tonight for some staple low carb foods and will call to a lovely farm near where I work tomorrow to stock up on some good quality meats :)
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    I have PCOS, hypothyroidism, and a bunch of other auto immune diseases and I agree with the low-moderate carb suggestion! Read "The Perfect Health Diet," it might help a lot. A lot of hypothyroid people follow it and it's the same sort of symptoms.
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Bump :-)
    PCOS-er diagnosed 10+ years ago. I try to avoid processed, high carb foods and stick with high-fiber whole grains. I too can't control myself with the 'whites' bread pasta etc, so I try to avoid them. I'm happier when i don't eat them. I'm vegetarian so I really can't do 'low carb' but I do eat plenty of whole, fresh fruits and veggies :-)
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I wish I had been diagnosed PCOS and knew about a low carb diet before I was diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic. Maybe I wouldn't have spent 2 decades weighing over 300 pounds. I tried low calorie diets. I would lose 20 pounds fairly quickly, stop losing and then gain it all back plus more. I finally stopped dieting altogether out of self-defense... I didn't want to end up 400 pounds.

When I was diagnosed diabetic I was put on a low carb diet (South Beach). It was magic. I lost weight and I became less sensitive to carbs. Unfortunately, my discipline waned and I went off it and slowly gained the weight back along with high blood sugars and even more sensitivity to carbs.

Now, I am on a ketogenic, mostly Primal/Paleo diet. I aim for approximately 20 net carbs a day. Even though I've lost almost 100 pounds I am still very carb sensitive. That's what happens when you don't control diabetes/pre-diabetes or insulin resistance. You get more resistant.

I know it's hard. But, be thankful that you have been diagnosed now. Take care of it and control the insulin resistance now. That way you can still enjoy a bit of fruit or an occasional piece of birthday cake.

I do recommend that you follow a lower carb version of a Primal or Paleo diet. Start with Paleo which eliminates dairy. After about 6 months add back some dairy and see if you can tolerate it and how much. If you can tolerate dairy then you can go Primal. I suggest that you start with under 100g of carbs a day for a week. If the carb/sugar cravings and hunger don't get under control, lower the carbs to under 75g. Give that a week. If that doesn't stop it, go under 50 g. Find the level that works best for you. Once you've lost the weight you might be able to slowly increase the carbs again.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I also recommend eliminating soy from your diet as much as possible. It's in everything. Even watch for it in cosmetics and beauty products. Soy is a plant estrogen. It will mess with your hormones and your thyroid and soul cysters don't need any more stuff messing with our hormones.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It can be done. You will find what is right for you, but this is my story:

I too have PCOS and Insulin Resistance. It runs in the family and I suspect my DD will have it as well, she has already had a burst ovarian cyst at 13. She was an IVF baby, I had several operations before having her, and about 3 after. The last 8 years or so have been much better for me since I changed my diet somewhat.

As many others have stated, one way to deal with this without resorting to medication is to eat a lower carb diet and exercise regularly.

I have benefitted greatly from reducing added sugar, processed foods and starchy carbs from my diet. I still eat a lot of vegetables, but not starchy ones. I have pasta sauce on chopped up cauliflower, find replacements for bread, pasta and rice. It's not like I say that I can't have them - but I just don't. Or try not to. If I do, I know I'll pay the price for it. About 30% of my diet comes from carbs, which is higher than recommended for Insulin Resistance, but this is the amount that works for me. When it's higher, I put on weight very easily, all around the waist.

With exercise, a daily walk is all it takes. Sure, you can do more than that, but walking ticks many boxes and you can do it as soon as you open your front door.

I have not taken medication other than low dose progesterone for my PCOS or Insulin resistance (they go hand in hand and my endochrinologist told me many years ago that they werent really sure which one came first). It CAN be controlled, if not resolved through diet and exercise. I'd rather change my eating habits and lifestyle than take a bunch of medication that is going to affect my health long term in other areas. But that is just my opinion, I know others do take medication and it's certainly one way to fix the symptomns.

Best wishes, it may take time to work out a plan for you, but do not lose heart, it can be controlled.
  • ILOVEFWANKWIN
    Options
    I stay between 100-200 carbs and eat as I please. I am also on Metformin which I think has helped somewhat. Other than that I haven't had any issues. Good diet, exercise. Pretty basic.
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    bumping this thread for future information. I have a Dr. appointment Tuesday in which i've asked to discuss the possibility of PCOS. Particularly after doing lots of reading these last couple days I am fairly confident I will be a big fat positive for it!
  • AnjylNguyen
    Options
    I have no tips. I was diagnosed with PCOS after multiple misdiagnosis. I have had it since 11 and to be honest so far weight loss is a nightmare rollercoaster for me. All I know is I can't give up or stop. if others here would add me I would appreciate it. I really need the encouragement.
  • Anna7595
    Anna7595 Posts: 38
    Options
    I have PCOS too, and low carb has been the only way I can ever lose weight. I was off the wagon for a long time but I just cut down the carbs about a week ago and have already lost 5 lbs and am waking up in the morning with more energy. In the past I lost weight on Atkins, but I have found that I don't need to restrict my carbs quite to the extent of an Atkins induction. I'm probably eating 50ish grams of carbs per day and I am at a ketogenic level. I just base my meals around protein and get most of my carbs from vegetables and lower glycemic fruits. Though I have been eating a small serving of no sugar added frozen yogurt as an evening snack after my walking. Years ago when I lost a lot of weight on Atkins, I did have some improvement in some of the PCOS symptoms. I had regular periods for a time, my acne was mostly clear...still had issues with the hair growth though I don't know if that will ever go away.
  • beckiern1
    beckiern1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i have PCOS, and am treated with depo-provera (progesterone) and aldactone for the acne and hair growth. i don't have any specific diet, and i've been extremely fortunate to not have any problems with diabetes or insulin resistance.

i DO know that weight loss can help both your symptoms of PCOS and decrease your chances for developing DM in the future.
  • jcgutierrez
    jcgutierrez Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump, I need to read this, i also have pcos.