Knee/Joint pain

Options
2»

Replies

• endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I would ask runner friends for a local recommendation for a doctor specializing in working with runners. He/she will be the best equipped to balance your desire to run with the reality of what is going on. If you are already hurting now, you may end up doing permanent damage as you ramp up to marathon level training. This is not a macho thing to endure, you need to get a professional opinion (or two).
  • ShinyDragonfly
    ShinyDragonfly Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Is it okay to do the elliptical on rest days? Or should that be incorporated into workout days?

You can run the Boston Marathon for a charity, you don't have to qualify by running.

I will look into everything else mentioned, even though I'm not responding individually I am reading, taking note, and further researching. I truly appreciate the continued responses.
  • Jennie183
    Jennie183 Posts: 10
    Options
    See an othopedist. You could be doing great harm to the miniscus. Find out with x-rays and a doctor.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Someone may have mentioned this already, but if you don't want to stop running then strengthen the muscles that support the knees. Glutes, hamstrings, etc. by doing Squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc. It really helps take the pressure off the knees.

But being so young I still suggest a quick trip to the doctor in case there is something wrong. Building some muscle will also help with making your bones stronger. If you are recoverying from an ED you probably have some damage to your body that still needs healing? Good luck, running in the Boston Marathon is a great goal :)
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I've got the same problem, it sucks sucks *kitten*! I'd only recommend speed walking and the stepper for 'smooth' movements..
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    See a doctor...you will need those knees for decades.
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    See an orthopedist. He or she can help you.
  • jobi1kanoobi
    Options
    I don't know what surface your normally run on but road running is high impact and can cause knee problems. You could try running on grass to reduce the impact, or try taking up a class like spinning to build your muscles. I regularly do half marathons and have suffered knee pain myself in the past. You could try a knee support but they really don't make that much difference.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    There is a DVD put out by Gaiam called Strong Knees. I have recently started using it. It addresses weak muscles that cause most knee pain. I have seen a huge difference in my knees since I started the simple exercises it recommends. It's definitely worth a shot.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    A collective response: While I do appreciate the feedback, I think I will continue to train. My hopes is to do the Boston Marathon in 2014. Obviously if it gets worse I will stop but I don't feel it's at that point yet. I do want to address the problem and hopefully correct it before it does get worse though. Also, wouldn't biking be worse than running?

I did the same thing and kept running through the pain. I decided to wait until it got worse. Ended up with serious nerve damage and, on doctor's orders I wasn't allowed to even walk more than a block. I was completely out of commission for three months and it sucked!

Biking actually is not nearly as hard on your knees as running provided you have your bike adjusted properly. When I was able to workout again, my doctor had me doing cycling first and then walking before I could go back to running. When biking, you are using your quads, hamstrings, glutes and core to move. It takes a lot of the pressure off your joints and you aren't pounding them like you are when running.
  • cynthiatwayne
    Options
    Check with your doctor to insure that there is no underlying joint issues and then follow a good program, insure you have proper running shoes, and train smart. A good strength training regimine including quad, hammy and glute work will help build muscles that are critical for good running form but also will protect and strengthen the muscles supporting your knees.

Just for the record I am a marathon runner and also have rheumatoid arthritis so yes, you can run with joint issues.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Some article I read this week (runner's knee for me), suggested that thigh and hip strengthening is often needed in runners to help with knee issues:

Workout 1:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/ironstrength-workout

Hips:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/all-hips

Google cross training for runners, or thigh, hip exercises for runners, get a notebook, and write them down. I use stick figures to job my memory with some brief notes. Cross train a couple days a week.

Also, Couch to 5K is highly recommended to condition the body and lunges for anyone out there getting started (not sure where you are in your journey.)
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Read up on Chi Running, buy some good running shoes (I run in Brooks Pure minimalists, I LOVE them), and learn how to run properly. Most people who have knee issues when they start to run is because they have improper stance and stride. Also, find a running company and have a gait analysis done.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    #1 See a sports medicine doc.
    #2 Squats, lunges, deadlifts to strengthen lower body muscles
    #3 Strength core. Weak core will lead to lower body pain in runners
    #4 Get RUNNING shoes. NOT cross trainers
    #5 Switch up your running surfaces
    #6 Start a SERIOUS lower body stretching routine after every single run
    #7 Consider a running coach if you are just getting started
    #8 Ice your knees after your run

I understand your desire to train for Boston. Can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind. Follow a decent training program based off your current running ability.I have used Hal Higdon training plans myself. If you over train, you can seriously injure yourself and Boston ain't gonna happen.

Good luck!!
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm just starting running and I want to address this issue. I have pretty bad knee/joint pain. They often crack or feel like they need to. They hurt until I do crack them. I take joint pills that are supposed to help rebuild cartilage and it does help but it's not perfect. I'd really appreciate some tips or ideas.

Stop running for now
    Get on an Elliptical
    Do exercises to strengthen your knee joint. Improve Hip Mobility, search for exercises.
    Apply cold for 15 on 15 off if you have pain and swelling.
    Your too young to have lost any cartilage I think. If your pain persist I'd go see a Dr