Struggling with protein without fat too

Options
Hello folks,

I am vegetarian (so i eat eggs, cheese, milk, yoghurt). My cals are set to 1760ish, and I frequently get to 1400 or so, with only about 60g of protein and no cals/carbs/fat to have anything further!

I'm considering protein powder, though honestly I'd rather not. I have natural yoghurt which is low fat and relatively high protein, and fromage frais, ditto. Nothing compared to the protein in meat, but hey, I'm working on how to get the protein elsewhere!

By any chance has anyone got any marvellous suggestions please? thanks oodles!

Replies

• jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, edamame, and eggs

protein powder or bars arent always a bad choice. Trutein protein powder in Chocolate Peanut Butter has become a staple in my protein recipes- SOOOO delicious! and i love Quest protein bars!
  • ghsfitnesspal
    ghsfitnesspal Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Eggs I love, cottage cheese and edamame I do not! Texture of the former and flavour of the latter...actually I dont know how easy they are to buy over in England either. I'll search Tesco :)

I'll have a look at the protein powders - I know Holland and Barrret sell the stuff but wow it looks confusing!

Is there such a thing as the most plain, least processed protein powder? http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/categories.asp?cid=47
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt. 0 fat and 15 grams of protein (depending on the brand)
    Do you like MorningStar Farms veggie products? Their Chipotle Black Bean Burger is the BOMB!!
  • penguinattackstudios
    penguinattackstudios Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Salmon is always a good option, it's quite lean and packed with protein! (Tofu too!)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Egg whites!

I made my delicious crepe recipe with egg whites and it's 130 calories with 21g protein.
    5aba24ce8b7d4e86bde769efe838881b_zpse51e3a51.jpg
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Egg whites!

I made my delicious crepe recipe with egg whites and it's 130 calories with 21g protein.
    5aba24ce8b7d4e86bde769efe838881b_zpse51e3a51.jpg

Recipe please!
  • twinmoon
    twinmoon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I make a Dukan "pizza" crust - it has about 22 gr. of protein. Here’s the best recipe I've found so far. Can top with marinara, turkey or soy pepperoni, pesto, vegies, or anything else you like on your pizza (spinach, onions, mushrooms, jalapeno slices . . . ) Tip: Sauté vegies first - use an olive oil spray, such as Spectrum Olive Oil spray. I eat one almost every evening, with a salad drizzled with a little EVOO and very good balsamic.

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon – Baking powder
    1 teaspoon (grated) – Cheese
    1 teaspoon Kraft Parmesan Light
    1 Tablespoon – Corn flour
    2 Eggs (I use 1/3 cup egg whites instead)
    2 Tablespoons – Oat bran
    1 Tablespoon – plain nonfat yoghurt
    Small amount of pesto sauce or marinara for base (I like using Arabbiata, because it’s spicy and a little has a ton of flavor)

Directions:

Put the eggs, yogurt, oat bran, cornflour, baking powder and spices (I put a little oregano) into a bowl for mixing.
    Mix all the ingredients in the bowl and pour it out onto the preheated, sprayed pan. Spread it like a pancake.
    When the bottom is done, and the top still a bit liquid on top, put a bit of pesto on top with tomatoes cut into pieces, or marinara and sprinkle with grated mozzarella cheese.
    Then move the pizza from the pan to the oven or toaster; top with veggies/pepperoni of your choice and sprinkle 1 tsp. of the Parmesan Light (Kraft)
    Put under a grill or in toaster until golden brown on top.

Aside from the vegie/vegie protein toppings, this adds up to about 220 calories, including 2T of marinara sauce.