wanted some advice

Options
Hi I have a quick question, When i did my food diary Monday,Tuesday it said it was over my sugar by in take.I was under my calories is it OK to be over your sugar limit ???? and will effect you loosing weight?? monday its saying i was over -35 and for tuesday its saying i am over by -05

Replies

• m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine.
  • Rachaelf67
    Options
    Hi, sorry to piggy back on your topic, but I'm over every day. I eat four peices of fruit per day and this has a high sugar content. I would think that natural sugars as in fruit etc. would be better than those found in processed foods. I have found even eating very healthy it's hard to keep under on your sugar goals.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I always go over....doesn't seem to make any difference to my weigh loss.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi, sorry to piggy back on your topic, but I'm over every day. I eat four peices of fruit per day and this has a high sugar content. I would think that natural sugars as in fruit etc. would be better than those found in processed foods. I have found even eating very healthy it's hard to keep under on your sugar goals.

FALSE
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I just put this same answer in a similar thread. It comes up often.

You will hear two diametrically opposed viewpoints on this topic. Some people believe sugar is the root cause of our obesity epidemic, that it is addictive and it's basically out to get you. Others believe that sugar is simply a carb and you don't need to worry about it at all so eat up.

For me, I changed my settings so sugar isn't even reported. I don't care because I don't think what I eat is unreasonable. I eat plenty of fruit and I have ice cream almost every day. The fruit alone would put me over the MFP sugar allowance, and anything that tells me I should eat less fruit, or that tells me I can't have one measly serving of ice cream every day, is something I'm going to ignore. Do I binge on sugar? No.

Focus on what matters. Calories, calories, calories. Then make sure you're getting enough protein and good fats, sufficient fiber, and satisfying your micronutrient needs. Also strength train and do some cardio. After that, stop. Life is way too short and there are other things that are worth worrying about. If you do want good nutrition info, then go to the source, such as pubmed.

Edit: I am obviously not speaking to diabetics here. Just to be clear.
  • Syleyna
    Syleyna Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I suggest that if you are NEW to calorie counting, you stick to focusing on achieving your calorie goal and ignoring the micro-nutrients (sugar, salt, protein, etc.). Focus on the calories, you'll lose the weight. After you've got the hang of eating within your calorie allowance, then start focusing on the micros, as that'll be another HUGE step altogether, and will assist in a speedier, more maintainable weight loss.
  • Kelley3505
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying to my topic, It helped a lot and now I am less worried :smile: :happy: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • kablondy
    kablondy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just ignore it & stick to the calorie intake. (well hopefully I stick to mine!) lol
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Going over sugar is fine as long as you don't have a medical condition that asks you to avoid it. I personally try to limit my sugar intake purely because most of the added sugar products just aren't worth the taste and nutrition (except ice cream. Ice cream is ALWAYS worth the calories). Don't worry about it. The sugar from fruits are good for the health also in case you were wondering. They're awesome actually in terms of calories vs. taste and nutrition.

Enjoy the sweet eats :)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I suggest that if you are NEW to calorie counting, you stick to focusing on achieving your calorie goal and ignoring the micro-nutrients (sugar, salt, protein, etc.). Focus on the calories, you'll lose the weight. After you've got the hang of eating within your calorie allowance, then start focusing on the micros, as that'll be another HUGE step altogether, and will assist in a speedier, more maintainable weight loss.

I hate to quibble, but sugar and protein are not micronutrients. Sugar is a carbohydrate which is a macronutrient, protein is also. Salt is arguably one, but it's for the most part treated as something on it's own, I suppose because the majority of western populations consume too much. I agree though that I wouldn't worry about sugar and salt. I would worry about protein while losing weight because, for most people at least, the goal is to lose body fat but maintain as much muscle as possible. Consuming adequate protein and resistance training will help accomplish this.

All of this said, keeping things as simple as practical is always a good idea. If you're the type of person who eats a lot of meat and fish, then you may not have to track protein. I absolutely love meat, fish, dairy and eggs but I still track protein because I also love pasta, bread and ice cream.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I only really try to make sure I hit a reasonable protein level, watch the calories and try to keep salt down. The rest falls as it falls - if I go high on carbs one day, it's usually a lower fat day, and vice versa. Seems to be working for me..