Almost hit by a car -- time to invest in lime green shirts

Options
I'm walking a lot, plus leaving my car at home (when I can) if I need to do an errand. I live in a small, historic town with a lot of sidewalks and clearly marked crosswalks, so walking seems easy.

A car almost hit me this week at a three-way stop.

Two cars, an old brown Buick and a new Honda, stopped at stop signs and I set out across the crosswalk. I was halfway through it when the old Buick came right at me. It would plowed over me if I didn't run for my life -- the front bumper missed me by inches.

The driver of the Honda pulled over to ask if I was okay. Then the psycho driver made a U-turn to ask if I was okay. It turns out he was a very old man, probably in his late 80s, who had cataracts and was due for surgery in a few weeks. He said he didn't see me at all and thought I was a shadow.

My new rules:
(1) Make eye contact with the driver before I cross the street.
(2) Invest in lime green shirts.

Replies

• blodk66
    blodk66 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am glad that you were not hurt. (good thing you are fast!) I honestly don't know that lime green shirt would help an 80 year old with cataracts see you. :glasses:
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Always watch the eyes of the drivers...
    and also get bright orange shirts too!! =)
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that. I did not see you there.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Yep that's a good investment. That happened to me about a month ago and I was wearing light colors. I think the driver was distracted. I invested in an LED blinking clip on light and a reflective arm band.

Just because you have your eyes on them doesn't mean they have their eyes on you. Be safe out there!
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Moral of the story: avoid old people.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    If you look around online (I think roadrunnersports.com, for sure) they have really lightweight running vests (I've seen bright yellow, green and orange) you can get so you don't have to buy a boat-load of florescent clothing. You just throw the vest on over whatever you're running/walking in that day

Edit: While the vests are effective, I can't promise that anything will work when it comes to incompetent drivers/old folks :happy:
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    Shadow people are scary. I also try to run them over when they cross my path.
  • jporte
    jporte Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    No wonder I can't even find a neutral color running tank top....they probably make them bright for that reason....glad to hear you weren't hurt.
    I've been running outside more lately too and it makes me pretty nervous when I am running on the side of the road since people don't pay attention and could swerve.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    By all means, get brighter shirts, but I will tell you... people are blind.

I go for a run on a military base, wearing the bright yellow navy PT shirt with reflective lettering... and still get almost hit at least once a week.

Go running with a gun, people tend to pay attention then :D
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're safe! I think both of your new rules are good ones.

THAT SAID, I feel like even when you implement safe rules successfully, some dummy is always out there... or we're bound to slip up sometimes! I invested in a RoadID this spring and don't regret it one bit. It has all my personal information on it, so if some unfortunate accident WERE to happen to me, all of my ICE "In Case of Emergency" phone numbers are right on my ankle, along with my name, DOB, and blood type. I don't feel like I need to carry a wallet when I run now, and I can keep a password on my phone where in the past I didn't just in case someone needed to make a call FOR me. I also think it will be a good peace of mind going into all these 5k's, 10k's, and the half marathon I've signed up for this summer... if I get dehydrated or injure myself on the course when I have nothing with me, I'll have all my important info on me for the medical team.

For example, my sister got in a horrible bicycle accident as a kid, and all of her stuff (phone, the small backpack she had on) got thrown a good 30 feet away from her in the accident. She had no way to call for help, and if the circumstances were different, she could have easily lost her phone into a creek or busy road. Fortunately a stranger found her and was able to find her phone and call up "Mom" in her contacts... the best possible outcome of a very bad situation. If her phone had been ruined in the accident, I don't know what would have happened.

Get a RoadID. It's $20, a really sturdy product, and a fantastic little piece of security. I got the anklet, but they have smaller bracelets and running shoe ties available too.
  • qasim91
    qasim91 Posts: 25
    Options
    Luckily you were okay. This just goes to show that after a certain age people should have to have their driving tests done again.
  • calimari
    calimari Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    We got the bright yellow jackets - some reflective trim on them - and the sleeves zip off to make it a vest. We wear them biking or walking after dusk. Even so - people still don't always see us. When walking, we also carry a small mag light for extra illumination. Riding, we have headlights and taillights too. People just don't watch. Even so, while we watch when we drive, we are amazed at the number of "invisible pedestrians" out there - wearing dark clothing, walking down the road. Seriously, you just can't see them!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Good investment. There are at least 2-3 deaths a year in my town with bike/pedestrian vs car accidents. Though, I live in a college town so you have about 10,000 people walking the streets any given day. Most of them just jay-walk right out in front of cars without looking so that is not helpful... The police actually had to set up patrols to ticket students for walking in front of cars.
  • jhagerman
    jhagerman Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time! I wear the brightest ugliest shirts, try to make eye contact, sometimes even wear flashing bike lights if it's dark outside, and STILL people nearly run me over in cross walks all the time. Sometimes they even honk at ME to get out of their way (if they see me at all). Be careful out there!
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    bright green, yellow, orange and pink shirts :wink:

and I too always make eye contact and like another poster - I have a road id that I wear all the time "just in case"
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure an 80 year old with cataracts shouldnt have a license. Or maybe the ruling varies from state to state? Glad you are okay, but even though it was an 80 year old this time, it might just be some careless *kitten* the next. Stay safe out there, and id definitely invest in either brighter shirts or the running vest several have suggested.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Even if you make eye contact with the driver, they still may run you down. That's how I got nailed when I was 9. I was stopped on a bike at a 4-way stop with a car to my left. I waited, looked at him/her several times, and waited to see if s/he would go. S/he didn't, so I did and s/he just ran me down anyway.
  • EmilyGMcK
    EmilyGMcK Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Man with dense cataracts should not be driving! The doctor who is doing his surgery probs shoulda said that to him. At the end of the day, you were at the crossing, even if you were naked (he'd probs notice you more) all cars should stop for you lol
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I was hit from behind last summer by a landscaping truck that did not estimate his turn correctly (I was not on the road). He jumped out and started yelling at me. I am glad there were three witnesses. He left and I called the cops, not because he hurt me to bad but because he verbally abused me for something HE did. He told the cops that I walked into him. Oh boy, the cop that investigated it is MAD. Told me to sue but that is not my style.

Said all that to say this, it caused me a little bit of trauma and I was scared to run by myself outside until yesterday. With all this hard work I am doing getting and being healthy, it would be a horrible shame if I I got killed while out on a run.

We need to take all precautions we can to ensure safety.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that. I did not see you there.

LOL!