healthy banana bread??

Options

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i don't make bread much anymore, but my two favorites to make are banana bread and pumpkin bread. mmmm

i like to use this recipe, it is a banana nut bread but you can make it without the nuts and it will still come out fine
    makes 2 loaves of bread, 26 slices

7 ripe medium bananas, mashed
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (i use this in place of oil when i bake)
    2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    4 tbsp softened butter
    1 cup light brown sugar
    4 large egg whites
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
    baking spray

this recipe makes two loaves.
    preheat oven to 350, grease 2 baking pans

in medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt with a whisk, set aside
    in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. add egg whites, bananas, applesauce and vanilla and beat at a medium speed until it is thick
    add flour mix and optional walnuts, blend at a low speed until it is combined
    pour batter into loaf pans on center rack and bake 50 minutes or until toothpick in the center comes out clean

comes out to 106 cals per slice, 2.1g fat, 20 carbs, 2 protein 1.2 fiber. less cals if you leave out the nuts
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Now I want banana bread! Drool.
  • PattyG406
    PattyG406 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yummy!! BUMP
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/grain-free-goodies/paleo-banana-bread/

YOU'RE WELCOME.
    This is so awesome. Best served warm with a little bit of butter & honey on top. You could add a sweetener of choice to the batter if you want or you could use some sort of jam on top.

This is grain free, full of good for you ingredients, and tastes just like the real deal. 206 calories for a piece according to the website. Not sure how many slices that is based on. I usually get around 8-10 when I make it.

I realize most people probably eat grains and don't use coconut flour, almond flour, etc. but you can take some almonds (whole, silvered, etc.) and grind them up in a blender, grinder, whatever. Same thing as store bought.
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Bump

I've been thinking about making banana bread all week.
  • Alison12121
    Options
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/classic-banana-bread-10000000549764/

I use non-fat plain greek yogurt in place of the low-fat yogurt. It always tastes great and this bread disappears FAST in my house.

I just made the banana bread that you suggested, and it was absolutely delicious! I wasn't paying enough attention, and added twice the butter (oops!). It came out great though, and the calorie increase wasn't as bad as I thought. Thanks! :smile:
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I made this the other day and it turned out quite well :)

2 mashed bananas
    1 egg
    150g self-raising flour
    2 tablespoons golden syrup

1. Add syrup and egg to banana and mix with spoon
    2. Add flour and sugar and mix until combined
    3. Pour mixture into prepared loaf tin
    4. Bake at 180 degrees C for approximately 25 mins until loaf springs back when touched in the middle

Om nom nom :happy:
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    Real simple:

2-3 ripe bananas

2 scoops vanilla protein powder

3/4c oatmeal chopped in blender

3 egg whites

1/4c plain greek yogurt

preheat over to 350

Mix wet. Add dry, bake for an hour or until knife in center comes out clean. Amazing. I add 3/4 c blueberries. Great protein too!
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    Real simple:

2-3 ripe bananas

2 scoops vanilla protein powder

3/4c oatmeal chopped in blender

3 egg whites

1/4c plain greek yogurt

preheat over to 350

Mix wet. Add dry, bake for an hour or until knife in center comes out clean. Amazing. I add 3/4 c blueberries. Great protein too!

credit: found this on IG through _hunny_buns_fit
  • jessicaperkins52
    jessicaperkins52 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My family LOVES banana bread! Thanks for all the ideas!!
  • marysowter
    marysowter Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yummy I have bookmarked for later!
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    Remember too, that with any recipe you can sub out some of the oil for applesauce, use more natural/lower glycemic sugars (honey, coconut sugar), and do more whole wheat flour to make it more nutritious & calorie-friendly. I personally prefer the texture I get with applesauce, over using more oil, but to each their own!

Seriously, as long as it doesn't have like 17 cups of sugar in it and you don't eat the whole loaf in one sitting, banana bread can actually be a pretty decent nutrient-dense food.
  • Alison12121
    Options

Seriously, as long as it doesn't have like 17 cups of sugar in it and you don't eat the whole loaf in one sitting, banana bread can actually be a pretty decent nutrient-dense food.

I just wanted to share a tip for portion control. Instead of using a loaf pan, I baked my banana bread in cupcake wrappers in a muffin pan, and cut the bake time in half (25 to 30 minutes). The bread came out great, and it was easy to see how many portions I had.
  • rschreiber
    rschreiber Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic, don't worry about naturally occurring sugars. Bananas are good and good for you.

This! Bananas are our friends.

Yes! Thank you for saying this! My sugar numbers are always over because of all the fruit I eat. I choose to ignore it!
  • anna_louise90
    anna_louise90 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    How many grams in a cup?
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    How many grams in a cup?

Not sure how accurate the below is, but this is what I found online. It appears just from me looking briefly online, that there's not an EXACT conversion because it depends specifically upon what's being measured.

All-Purpose Flour and Confectioners' Sugar
    1 cup = 110 grams

Brown Sugar
    1 cup = 200 grams

Butter or Margarine
    1 cup = 225 grams

Cake Flour
    1 cup = 95 grams

Cocoa
    1 cup = 125 grams

Flaked Coconut
    1 cup = 75 grams