What do you do...

mommyhof3
mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
After you complete a good workout? Protein shake? Water? Chocolate milk? I am starting to feel a little drained and want to try something as a pick up after my workout.

Replies

• sroseber
    sroseber Posts: 197 Member
    I've heard chocolate milk is great but maybe a chocolate protein shake would be even better. I think you need something to refuel your muscles/body so I wouldn't suggest water (not that it would be bad, especially if you are really thirsty) but I think you need something with some nutritional value. Just my 2 cents, I'm no expert by any means, just some things I've heard.

Congrats on your May 14th accomplishment! Looks like you are doing great! Keep it up!
  • KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Right before I saw your post I was reading an article on "Eat This Not That" and it had a list of things good for after a workout. I wrote them down.

Pineapple or Papaya
    Salmon or Fish Oil Supplements
    Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich
    SMALL bowl of Pasta and Meat Sauce
    8 OZ Chocolate Milk
    Pork Tenderloin
    Coffee
    Green Tea
    COLD Water

I personally have been just grabbing a protein bar, but I may definately try the chocolate milk! I didn't realize that was good after a workout!
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    I just read an article in Women's Health yesterday that said the best thing for after a workout is milk. It stated that it was great for an energy boost and muscle repair...... I hate milk but choked down a glass after my morning work out today... I guess we'll see!
  • JessicaFB
    JessicaFB Posts: 126 Member
    I usually work out in the morning. With P90X, I've been following the workouts with shakeology blended with frozen berries, almond milk and ice. Works for me :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Greek yogurt 0% fat and half a banana mushed in. Perfect balance of carbs and proteins.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Chocolate milk is good but it has a lot of sugar. Last night I did a scoop of whey protein, 4 oz water, some ice cubes, and 2 tbsp peanut butter. Blend and drink! It's good stuff, especially if you get natural peanut butter.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    I always have a banana afterward and it seems to do the trick for my body.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    I usually have a small serving of pineapple and strawberries after a work out. If my work out is later at night I just have water...
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I typically do a scoop of Optimum Nutrition whey protein powder blended with skim milk and sometimes some fruit if I have it on hand.
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    I was wondering if anyone has tried the new Gatorade stuff, the recovery drinks? I might pick some up at the store tomorrow and try them out. Currently I just drink loads of water afterwards.
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    I've just started having some milk and protein powder after working out. Sometimes I also have half a banana too.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I'm diabetic, so the first thing I do is EAT! For the last month or so, I started taking a protein bar with me so I don't bonk on the way home. I'm going through different brands at the store. So far I've tried Larabar (YUM!) and Promax (not as yum, but pretty good, and twice the protein). When I get home I eat again, a full meal this time, and I've been including chocolate milk (Over The Moon is fabu) as part of it.

Before my workout, I make sure I have a high protein meal, balanced with good carbs (kashi golean cereal has been my choice lately, with 1/2 a banana, and 4 oz of almond milk).
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    I was wondering if anyone has tried the new Gatorade stuff, the recovery drinks? I might pick some up at the store tomorrow and try them out. Currently I just drink loads of water afterwards.

I usually drink a muscle milk light, but the last week and half I have been drinking the Gatorade Recovery, and I can't honestly say I have noticed any difference compared the muscle milk. It is refreshing to drink after I work out though. I usually stick it in the freezer before I start, so it's super cold when I'm done.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Workouts at night, I throw dinner in the oven and eat it as soon as I get out of the shower and it's usually 3-4 oz. protein, and 1 cup of veggies. I'm going to start doing a whey protein shake with some fruit after my work outs just to fill up my protein and see how my muscles react to that. Since you're doing p90x, I would definitely recommend some protein after you work out, really get the full effect of your exercise.
  • millymoo81
    millymoo81 Posts: 20 Member
    most people squirm when I tell them what I have after the gym, but it works wonders for me and actually tastes great.

Mix below in a blender;
    glass of low fat milk
    raw egg
    vanilla essence
    cinnamon
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Greek yogurt 0% fat and half a banana mushed in. Perfect balance of carbs and proteins.

I do that too!!

Or I drink a protein shake.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Well we live in a small town so I went to Walmart and their shelves were picked pretty badly, must be because of the weekend. Anyways, when I finished my workout this morning I was feeling nauseous but decided to drink the chocolate milk and it made me feel better. I was surprised. I bought 1% chocolate milk. Next time I am out without kids I am going to go looking for whey powder to see if that will help. Thank you all for your suggestions :smile: