Goal Met, then "un" Met!

Options
Hey All...
Met my goal of 25#'s lost last week. Weighed in, as usual, this morning, and low and behold, I gained 4.5 #'s. I know this happens, and in fact the opposite has happened where I have lost a large amount in a 1 week period, but it is quite disheartening when it is a gain.
When do you all consider yourself at your goal???? 2 weeks at the goal weight? Longer?
THanks!

Replies

• mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I would consider my goal met, it's normal to fluctuate 5 pounds. Just keep doing what your doing!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Generally I hate analogies but...I think of it like an extended trip to another country. You spent so much energy concentrating on figuring out how to get there and then once you finally arrive...you find yourself wandering around without a plan.

Maintenance is in some respects HARDER than losing weight. Because you tell yourself it's okay to slack off, but slacking off can lead right back to couch potato. Or, heaven forbid, you go the other way, and continue losing weight. You have to set your calorie limit and eat and exercise accordingly, just like when you were trying to lose...except you may have to fiddle with goal till you find equilibrium.
  • JayRod2519
    JayRod2519 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and info. I agree that one of the things that popped into my head last weekend, the first at "goal", was that I could take some liberties with my eating that I had been avoiding. I have, since my journey began, allowed myself one or two cheat meals on teh weekends only, but nothing ridiculous (such as an entire pizza for myself). However, I found myself grazing on things that I had normally avoided. I'm disappointed that I fell into that trap, when, based on MFP, my maintenance calorie limits aren't that much more than my weight loss calorie limit ( I'm going to use the "RoadMap" to get a more accurate number).
    I'm hoping that the maintenance becomes second nature; I can see how it could be harder!!