Water and weight loss

Options
Some explain the importance of water in a diet besides hydration. Might b a dumb ? But I've read a lot of different stuff

Replies

• fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    It helps counter your sodium intake (and the swelling or bloating that goes with it)...it regulates your body temperature...it helps keep hunger in check (it's known that sometimes thirst is mistaken for hunger)...it keeps your energy level up...

on and on and on.

There's tons of things.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    It keeps your metabolism up, it lubricates and hydrates your joints and organs. It's also required for proper brain function.
  • SpencerR
    SpencerR Posts: 37
    Options
    Ok. I know your suppose to have about 8 8 ounce glasses a day. I'm getting about 6 due to the fear of putting back on water weight
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hope you don't mind me adding my own question to yours, as they are related.... I'm wondering whether drinking more water makes you hold onto less water weight or if the opposite is true?
  • fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    Ok. I know your suppose to have about 8 8 ounce glasses a day. I'm getting about 6 due to the fear of putting back on water weight

I realize it sounds counterproductive...but NOT drinking water will cause you to put on water weight.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    It also makes you pee more, so if you work in a place like me, you burn calories walking down all the stairs, across the warehouse floor, then back and back up all the stairs again every time you need to pee! LOL
  • SpencerR
    SpencerR Posts: 37
    Options
    So u lose more weight by drinking water
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Yep. It's just like calories. When your body doesn't know when it's going to get more, it will store what it already has. Thus ensuring that it will have enough for the necessary functions. As soon as you start giving it more, it starts to release the old water, and keep the new. Then after you've convinced it that you're not going back into the desert anytime soon, it will start to let go of that water also.

Side note: When you start working muscles that haven't been worked in awhile, they will hold onto water for awhile. Until they get used to the new work. Then they will let go.