Getting my body composition tested at the AIS :)

Options
Dom_m
Dom_m Posts: 337 Member
I'm off to see the AIS for an "anthropometric profile". I'm pretty sure its a caliper method fat test. FYI: AIS is the Australian Institute of Sport, a government department that churns out Olympic medals and does a lot of health / nutrition research as well. I'm not sure which of those is the main business, but I can easily tell you which one brings in the money :)

Anyway, I feel like going out on a limb and pre-announcing my own test results, just to see how inaccurate I am.
I've used 3 different measures. From this site: http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
Last week I used the Jackson / Pollock 4: caliper method and got a body fat of 10.5%
Yesterday I did the Jackson / Pollock 7: caliper method and got 9.93%
And the Parrillo Caliper Method and got 12.55%
Then I used the tape measure method and got 17.6%!!!
And the tape measure method from this site: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/metric-body-fat-calculator.php
gave me 17.89%

So my measure is between 9.93% and 17.89%. I wonder if I'm actually in that range or not? I don't think I get the results straight away, so I'll reply once I know.

Replies

• Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 337 Member
    Options
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Dont mean to sound dumb but what is a good % to be at for men and women??
  • MiekeJ
    MiekeJ Posts: 139
    Options
    I'd also like to know this :-)
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Dont mean to sound dumb but what is a good % to be at for men and women??

Here:

Men:
    Essential Fat: 2-4%
    Athletes: 6-13%
    Fitness: 14-17%
    Acceptable: 18-25%
    Obese: 25%+

Women:
    Essential Fat: 10-12%
    Athletes: 14-20%
    Fitness: 21-24%
    Acceptable: 25-31%
    Obese: 32%+

I can't wait to hear your results Dom! I should get some calipers to try those methods, but for right now I use linear software tape measure method. :smile: