3 Ways Women Should Train Differently from Men

Options
Sohee Lee writes good stuff.

She isn't saying that women shouldn't do the same type of strength training as men. All she is saying is that the focus can be tweaked a bit.

http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/3-ways-women-should-train-differently-to-men/
In general, there’s not much that sets women and men apart when it comes to the way they should train. A chick and a dude can follow the same training program and both experience positive results. Assuming a sound and effective program, both will get stronger, experience hypertrophy, and all-around become more badass.

Obviously there are factors that set them distinctly apart – namely female vs. male psychology, expectations, gender stereotypes, etc. We won’t be discussing those things for the purposes of this particular article.

A training program tailored toward both sexes can be good. But if you want to take a program from good to great, there are a few things you should know about women. These are merely suggestions, of course, so take from this what you will.

1. The answer to, “Does this make my butt look big?” used to always have to be a resounding no regardless of whether or not a woman’s skirt was ripping clean down her rear end. Nowadays, it’s a little different: chicks want big butts (and they cannot lie). More specifically, they covet the shapely derrieres that come only with either rare genes (damn you, Kim Kardashian) or heavy glute-focused strength training. And since training programs should be tailored toward an individual’s goal, this means that women’s training programs should by and large have a greater focus on lower body work than on upper body work. Bret Conteras, the Glute Guy himself, will be quick to say that some women even request that they devote all their training time toward their glutes exclusively – and while this is not the norm, it says a lot about how highly we women value Dat Butt.

Of all the ways to skin a cat, the best movements that women should incorporate regularly into their training include: hip thrusts (bilateral and unilateral), glute bridges (bilateral and unilateral), reverse lunges (regular and deficit), and weighted hyperextensions, to name a few. Be sure to mix in both low rep and high rep work to really get the most out of your training also.

Does this make my butt look big?

Does this make my butt look big?

2. Relatively speaking, women tend to have weaker upper body strength as compared to men. This means that prescribing something like pull-ups for reps of 6-8 simply won’t make sense for women because many have difficulty performing even one. For cases like this, regressions are always recommended: band-assisted pull-ups, half-kneeling 1-arm lat pulldowns, inverted rows, and the like. It will take women longer to get stronger on these upper body movements, so more patience will be required to build up the necessary muscles to perform a strict bodyweight pull-up.

Similarly, pushups tend to be another weakness for women. Rather than watching in horror as they grind out snake-ups, the pushups should be regressed to be performed against a wall, on a bar, or against a bar. Just because they can’t do them – yet – doesn’t mean they shouldn’t do them at all.
Regressions, regressions, regressions.

For those not aware, A regression is a less advanced variation of a particular exercise that’s used when an individual is unable to perform the original exercise for any reason (be it injury, mobility restrictions, or simply lack of strength). Resorting to a regression does not in any way imply that you are weaker or inferior to others; all it means is that you’re making your own safety the top priority and maximizing the effectiveness of your time in the gym at the current level of fitness you’re at.

So for example, if an individual has never hip hinged before, it would make sense to learn the basic hip hinge movement pattern via mobility drills, cable pullthroughs, and the like before moving onto trap bar deadlifts, then sumo deadlifts, and finally conventional deadlifts (the most technically difficult to master).

3. Women tend to recover faster than men and can handle higher volume training. Now, this isn’t to say that women have the green light to train six days a week (not that we really see that anyway). Rather, rest periods can be a little shorter, or perhaps some active mobility work can be incorporated into a training session to keep a woman from getting bored as she keeps an eye on the clock. It’ll help pass the time and also make her minutes in the gym much more well-spent rather than scrolling away on her iPhone (which I am often guilty of.)

So maybe something like the following:

A1. Hip thrusts 4 x 6-8

A2. Bodyweight lateral lunges 3 x 10 each side

And piggybacking on point #1 above, faster recovery means that it’s okay to hit the lower body more frequently throughout the week. A well-programmed 4-day full body split is completely feasible for women, and they will have no issues whatsoever with overtraining.

Now, depending on how nitpicky you want to get, we could discuss additional differences such as Q-angle, muscle fiber types, and how the ladies probably spend less time pretending to wipe the sweat off their foreheads with their T-shirts in order to get a peek at their abs. But I think that’s far more myopic than we ever really need to get.

When it comes down to it, all you really need to remember are the basics that hold true for both sexes: compound lifts over isolation exercises, heavy weight selection (ie. constantly challenging your body’s muscles), more pulling than pushing movements, and more posterior chain exercises.

Besides that, train hard, eat big and sleep well.

And log your workouts on Fitocracy, duh.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I was going to come in here and argue, but that's a pretty good article. Some women can do pull ups (like me) just like some men can't. For all people it's a matter of progression.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I was going to come in here and argue, but that's a pretty good article. Some women can do pull ups (like me) just like some men can't. For all people it's a matter of progression.

Completely agree. She normally writes pretty good stuff.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    There are many men who cannot do pull-ups or push-ups. As already mentioned, these are things that every individual must work towards, regardless of gender. I rarely like articles that make generalizations on the basis of gender, and this was no exception.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Very good article.

Thanks for posting
  • IronPlayground
    Options
    There are many men who cannot do pull-ups or push-ups. As already mentioned, these are things that every individual must work towards, regardless of gender. I rarely like articles that make generalizations on the basis of gender, and this was no exception.

You missed the point. Article was written by a woman, BTW.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    When I saw the thread title I thought "Uh-oh", but honestly it's a really good article. Thanks for posting! :)
  • NicoleisQuantized
    Options

Yes, I know it was written by a women. Again, regardless of gender, many people cannot do certain moves at the outset of a new training regimen.
  • IronPlayground
    Options

Yes, I know it was written by a women. Again, regardless of gender, many people cannot do certain moves at the outset of a new training regimen.

Best of luck on your goals!
  • NicoleisQuantized
    Options

Ok bro, whatever....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,646 Member
    Options
    I likes. Good article and perspective.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

NicoleisQuantized Destroys goals. Really about the only thing I can't do is a keggle, and I'm not sure I want to. Other than that bit, I'm not sure what a woman can't do. No offense but it doesn't hold a lot of water with me.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Great Article! Thanks :smile:

Oh and why is everyone so terrified to say that there are differences between the AVERAGE male and female body?? Good Grief! Since when does political correctness mean we have to be blind? When I look at all the women here in my office I can clearly see that in general their strength is focused in the lower body and the opposite is true with most the men here! So whats wrong with the generalization?
    Sure there are some women who crank out some pull ups (GO Them!!! Someday I will too!) and there are some men who couldn't do even one...but this is not the norm!

YAY for political correctness forcing us all to pretend we live in some made up world where men and women identical in every way except sexual organs (because that seems to be the politically correct thing to pretend these days!) :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

Some generalizations are true, though. The typical man will have more upper body strength than the typical woman. The strongest men in the world are stronger than the strongest women -- otherwise women would be in the NFL.

So go ahead, light me on fire.

That doesn't mean women can't be strong in general, and it doesn't mean a woman can't be stronger than a men, or even most men. More power to ya - I'm definitely PRO-lifting for women.

Where generalizations become stupid is when we try to apply them to a single person. Obviously wrong.

Good article!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Agreed and concur with pretty much everything in the article. Very well written. Thank you for posting.
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later, thanks
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it is better for a woman to do as much as she can of the more difficult exercise than to crank out modified versions of something. I used idea this with my pushups. I used to do "girl" pushups on my knees and I could go forever. I started to do "full" pushups with good form and could only do a couple at first, but now I have progressed to being able to do 3 sets of 10 with my hands on an upside down bosu ball. I still have to use the weight assisted machine for pullups, but hopefully one day I'll get there. Lots of my MFP friends who are female can do full pullups. They are badass for sure.

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    article was written based on certain goals -- it seeks after the weaknesses of the gender world which is good.....lots of women can't do pull-ups -- I used to not recently and now i can do strict cause I worked everyday to achieve it and did regressions. Women are more built to handle heavier weights using the legs and hips where men are not.

The article bounces a little bit but regressions are key to help build those weaknesses.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Love this Mike!! Definitely something I needed to read today. :smile:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

These are just simple facts and not meant to be gender discrimination.

The fact is that if you were to compare an untrained man and an untrained woman the man would naturally have more upper body strength than the untrained woman. That's not to say that a trained woman can't have upper body strength.

For example there's a girl at my gym who is a far better athlete than me. She squats more than I do, she deadlifts more than I do but when it comes to bench, OHP, and Pullups I've got he beat.

I think the article did a very good job of stating the facts.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Bumo to read later