I have a question, do you have an answer?

Options
My question is is it better to eat nothing or mcdonalds, lets say nuggets. Lets pretend that there is no other options.

So..... which is better?

Replies

• newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It's better to feed your body some fuel than no fuel.
  • col443
    col443 Posts: 17
    Options
    I eat Mcdonald's occasionally. If it fits eat it. Why would you starve yourself?
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    It's better to feed your body some fuel than no fuel.

Thats what I thought. =)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    This is an entirely situation dependent question of course - depends on when the last meal was eaten, how many calories have been consumed in this particular day, etc etc.

Short answer: You can eat most anything you want, and as long as the total calories taken in on that particular day are adherent towards your goal you will take a step towards it, at least in terms of body composition. (ie less calories than needed to maintain = weight loss, more cals than needed to maintain = weight gain) --- Thus, if you need the calories and the only food choice is "unhealthy" food, by all means, eat. Make it a habit, however, to eat whole, "healthy", unprocessed foods as much as possible.

Long answer: Food choice is largely irrelevant when considering body composition (note BODY COMPOSITION, NOT "HEALTH"), and to a greater degree than previously thought. For a long time, its been "eat clean" in the fitness world. Many newer studies and anecdotal research have hypothesized (and even proven, to some degree) that meal timing, food choice, and even macronutrient partitioning have little effect on body composition versus just eating most any food and hitting calorie goals. Are there benefits to using these advanced methods and tools versus "winging it"? Absolutely! Are they make or break? Absolutely not!

This doesn't mean go out and eat donuts all day to get shredded. What it means is that energy = energy. It follows a simple pattern of taking in food, turning into usable fuel, and then either using that fuel or storing it. This balance of caloric intake determines body composition long term - eat too much, store it as fat; eat too little, lose mass (in the form of fat, muscle, etc).

SO, if your goal involves manipulation of calories to either lose, gain, or maintain... first and foremost take care of the caloric intake (in other words, eat that thing). Now, take note we are talking about BODY COMPOSITION, not overall HEALTH. You will feel like death if all you eat is 2000 calories of table sugar a day. You need a healthy balance of proteins (lean meats, combination of plant based proteins, milk, etc), fats (mostly as a by product of protein intake, but including healthy oils/nuts/seeds), and carbs (nutrient dense, again, minimally processed)- including the micronutrients (minerals/vitamins) they will provide. You should try to eat foods that are minimally processed, free of excessive ingredients/fillers/chemicals, etc as much as humanly possible in order to maintain general health.

So in review, if you need calories to hit your goal - eat
    If you dont - stare longingly and try to ignore the grumbling belly
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. How hungry am I, how long would I have to wait for my next meal, and is there a possibility it would be decent? I'd want to wait for something healthier if that meant I wouldn't be starving and ready to eat ALL THE FOOD by the time I got it. Otherwise, I'd eat my nuggets, log 'em, and enjoy every last bite.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    My question is is it better to eat nothing or mcdonalds, lets say nuggets. Lets pretend that there is no other options.

So..... which is better?

Ewww... drive/run/hike down the road to the drug store or a 7-11 and buy some yogurt, a Slim Fast shake, or something else.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

So..... which is better?

Ewww... drive/run/hike down the road to the drug store or a 7-11 and buy some yogurt, a Slim Fast shake, or something else.
    Dunno, those slim fast shakes seem worse than the mcnuggets.

Personally, I'd go hungry until I could get some real food. Unless I have a damn good reason, I'll kill and eat a squirrel before McCrap.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Feed is better than leave....
    To be brutally honest if I knew more about health and fitness at a young age I probably still would have eaten a lot (maybe not as much as I did) during my years as a teen... Thing is, I probably wouldn't have reached my full growth potential during puberty if I suddenly pulled back from eating all together to have that 4% body fat look...
    But your circumstances sound as though you have a choice no? :sick:
  • jjgirl76
    jjgirl76 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    So in review, if you need calories to hit your goal - eat
    If you dont - stare longingly and try to ignore the grumbling belly

^^ This. Better to fulfill the calories, but not for a simply splurge.