Snide comments?

Options
Once you started to loose weight and people started to notice, did you get any snide comments? Well, I have two relatives (not husband) who is making snide remarks.... things like "I don't have to exercise to loose weight"...." so glad I wear pretty clothes again"...

Now I have not told anyone that I am loosing weight, dieting or exercising. Not even posted anything on face book or anything yet. But I know the weight loss is starting to show and other friends are saying "wow you look good, you've lost a few pounds...keep it up"

How do you deal with the snide comments? Maybe I am just being touchy, because I have not told them, so maybe those comments are really aimed at me?

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I am not getting "snide" from either of those comments.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I find it really helps to assume other people are doing the best that they can and respond with as much kindness as possible. Don't get defensive. A lot of times, the snide tone that you think you hear was not intended. And if it WAS intended, there's nothing quite as disarming as replying kindly. It can be a simple as a smile.
  • MsCristie
    MsCristie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell my family that I was eating healthy and exercising- my mother told me I looked sick and unhealthy. (FYI- No one else thinks that at all- I am 5"5" and 138ish). When I told her no, I am watching what I am eating and working out (now that my ankle has healed) she stated that if I lost any more I would look terrible. I once again told her no, I have a dietation friend that I talk to and my doctor is very pleased. You'd think that family of all people would be happy for you- guess not. I'm not sure why she thinks that, she couldn't tell me other than she thinks I look too skinny.
  • Jocmc631942
    Jocmc631942 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    One of the comments "I am glad I can wear pretty clothes" Its on the tone of voice and the eye roll that came with it.

Other comments are from the same person to another person on face book and I might be reading more into it because I am trying to hard and because they did mean that first comment to be mean.

She also wrote how grandmas funeral was going to be miserable because none of her clothes fit..... which I don't thing has anything to do the funeral and shouldn't be said.

But I am emotional right now to so I am biting my tongue so I don't regret saying things later.
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    people say whatever they want when they are family or friends and assume it's okay... stand up for yourself if you don't like it, or they will never know to stop (easier said than done)
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If they truly are being snide (and this is impossible to tell w/o knowing your history with them, the tone, inflection, etc.) and you act like they are being genuine and you respond in a positive friendly way, it will REALLY pi$$ 'em off that you don't feel stabbed........
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    She also wrote how grandmas funeral was going to be miserable because none of her clothes fit..... which I don't thing has anything to do the funeral and shouldn't be said.
    This is a very insensitive thing to say, I'm really sorry for your loss :(

Ignore her if you can, some people are just rude!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I think you're being overly sensitive.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't think the comments are meant the way you are taking them. But even if they are, who cares. This is about you.
  • jaybaack
    jaybaack Posts: 15
    Options
    Snide comments are generated from those who by looking at you, realize that they need to change.
    It is a self defense mechanism that allows them to feel good about themselves when they are around people who are making changes (in this case, you!).

Ignore them, they are projecting their own lack of confidence in themselves on you.
    Surround yourself with positive people and let these others fall to the way side.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    just let it be water of a ducks back! They might be jealous or annoyed that they cant drop a few lbs or maybe they mean it nicely just have no tact lol well done on you and keep it up
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    so maybe those comments are really aimed at me?
    Don't count on it. I hate to say it but, most people probably don't care.
  • Jocmc631942
    Options
    so maybe those comments are really aimed at me?
    Don't count on it. I hate to say it but, most people probably don't care.

Good point.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    One of the comments "I am glad I can wear pretty clothes" Its on the tone of voice and the eye roll that came with it.

Other comments are from the same person to another person on face book and I might be reading more into it because I am trying to hard and because they did mean that first comment to be mean.

But I am emotional right now to so I am biting my tongue so I don't regret saying things later.

I didn't see this before my comment.

Just take a deep breath. Everyone gets crazy when a loved one dies. People lash out at each other to try to avoid feeling the pain of the loss. If this family member isn't a comfort to you right now, then just avoid her. She's really letting her jealousy show right now, and honestly, there really isn't anything you can do to make her feel better.
  • Jocmc631942
    Options
    Guess I can add ignoring it, letting it slide and not taking it personally to my goal list. :blushing:

Thanks for the input everyone.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Guess I can add ignoring it, letting it slide and not taking it personally to my goal list. :blushing:

Thanks for the input everyone.

If it continues past a significant period for grieving, then you might consider confronting this family member, but I wouldn't suggest doing it right now while everyone is grieving. That will just cause drama.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I have in laws (sisters) who have been saying things to me for 25 years. For the first 10 years it really bothered me. I stepped back and tried to understand where their comments were coming from. It's their issue not mine. I now let it go. Don't feed in to their mess and you will be a whole lot happier...:wink:

Oh and on a side note. It's lose not loose. Loose is what your pants are when you lose a lot of weight. :heart:
  • Kaathmandu
    Kaathmandu Posts: 129
    Options
    People who make snide comments are usually either jealous, or trying to build themselves up by putting someone else down - either way, they are the one with the problem!! As someone else suggested, if they are trying to get at you, the best reaction is to not be got. And double that by looking fabulous
    I know what it is like to be over sensitive and assume the worst, while this is often not the case.
    So assume it wasn't about you ("it is none of your business what other people think of you") and keep up the good work!
    Go girl! :flowerforyou:
  • marieann82
    marieann82 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I fully believe that mean comments have more to do with the person saying them than they do with the person they are directed at. They are feeling inadequate, jealous, lousy, ect-and need to boost their pride by comparing themselves to somebody else.

It sucks-I think we've all dealt with it. Just keep your head up high and keep on your journey. You are stronger than they are!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Once you started to loose weight and people started to notice, did you get any snide comments? Well, I have two relatives (not husband) who is making snide remarks.... things like "I don't have to exercise to loose weight"...." so glad I wear pretty clothes again"...

Now I have not told anyone that I am loosing weight, dieting or exercising. Not even posted anything on face book or anything yet. But I know the weight loss is starting to show and other friends are saying "wow you look good, you've lost a few pounds...keep it up"

How do you deal with the snide comments? Maybe I am just being touchy, because I have not told them, so maybe those comments are really aimed at me?

Haters! Jealous people, thats all. Ignore them.