Runners or Spectators of Races

Options
Does anyone know of an GPS APP to track my Daughter in a half marathon run so i can tell where she is??

and any tips as a spectator... what would make us stand out for her./ or a gift to bring her after she is done.? ( like when dancers finish a performance and get flowers) I have never been to a race or run. Just wondering what woudl fun and special for her!

thank you

Holliwood97

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If the race is big enough sometimes they have runner tracking that sents you texts when they hit certain spots.

Bright colors or a sign would help to stand out.
  • islandgirl76_
    islandgirl76_ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I bet she would LOVE for you to make her a sign. A cool little gift would be a 13.1 car magnet or tervis tumbler.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of an GPS APP to track my Daughter in a half marathon run so i can tell where she is??

I use RunKeeper. If you pay the $20 and get an Elite subscription you can see where that person is in real time during the race or during any activity they choose to share.
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    There are lots of apps out there that would do what you're looking for. Assuming of course your daughter has her phone with her during the race.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I know some people who have the runkeeper subscription for this. It works fairly well.

This is the only two things I want when I am done with my first half marathon.

tumblr_lc1jz2jYi51qegd88o1_500.jpg

RSU100-NA?wid=438&hei=432&fmt=jpeg&qlt=75,0&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=1.1,1.0,5,0&iccEmbed=0

..for a place to put my 26.2 sticker
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    FindMyFriends app would work if you have iphones, it's not running related but you can track your friends that are signed up, it works great for events like this, theme parks, etc. My husband and I use it when he goes biking and I run so that he can loop around and find me.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    How old is she? To stand out get a brightly colored sign... Commemorative medals are always a neat gift...
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love reading the signs when I am running and holding them cheering runners on when I am just a spectator!

My fav that got lots of responses was " Keep running your hair still looks great" Do you know how many bald men run.....lol They loved it. I was about 500 metres from the finish line and the crowd enthusiasm was awesome!

My first half marathon my sister had a special medal inscribed for me, it has place of pride with my running memorabilia.

Karen
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me a silver band with XIII.I engraved on it as a gift.

http://www.endureshop.com/product/half-marathon-ring-xiiii
  • BeccaAnderton
    Options
    Food. Bring her food. Lots of food. When I completed my first half marathon my Mum cooked me a full roast dinner. It was amazing.

Or some sort of commemorative token about what she's achieved, so a necklace/medal/bracelet/sticker like the others have said.
    But seriously, food.
  • CoachKristenSmith
    CoachKristenSmith Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions cuz I don't know of any apps like that. But, unscientifically, you can find out what her typical average pace is, like a 9-minute mile or 10-minute mile or whatever, and see what time it is when she crosses the start and then you can kind of estimate what time she will finish. Worked for my fiance when he tracked my first half marathon.

WAY TO GO being supportive!! I have done many races and no one but my fiance has ever come to see me run or finish. It kind of bums me out to not see anyone I recognize at the finish or along the way. But, I do it for me, so I just enjoy the satisfaction.

Oh, and races that long typically have long, boring, open stretches - it's fun to go to the middle portion of the race and cheer there, it's a fun energy-boosting surprise, have seen many people really come alive after seeing someone they know cheering in the middle of a long race.
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My fav that got lots of responses was " Keep running your hair still looks great" Karen

I would so love to see this when I run! I'm always fretting how crappy/sweaty my hair gets (and quickly too) and shudder when someone takes my pic.

The best gift waiting for me at the end would be food.
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    flowers would be awesome! a big sign somewhere along the race would be really cool (i've never had spectators at any of my races, but i told my kids they'd better be there when i do a half.)
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Seeing you at the finish line will be the greatest gift of all!

Any of the above mentioned trinkets sound great though. After a HM I definitely would want something to memorialize the event. Some people are famished, some people cannot stand the sight of food so find out in advance if she eats after her long runs.

Good luck and positive vibes to your daughter! Running is such an amazing sport. Kudos to you for being so supportive!

Don't know of any of the apps, might look into this myself. Maybe go on some of the bigger running sites and search too. www.runnersworld.com www.coolrunning.com www.letsrun.com www.runningtimes.com Etc...good luck!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Yes. kudos to you for being so supportive! My family has only come to 1 of the 9 half marathons I ran. It would mean SO much just to have them there, so anything beyond that would be awesome!
  • themelmac
    themelmac Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just put RunMeter on my phone. The app is free and you pay another $4.99 for tracking. The app will actually send email updates to you to let you know when she runs 1 mile or even by minutes. It gives you a link to a map too.

I looked at a couple of sites and this one was the cheapest.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Signs at races are awesome!

awesome_pictures_11.jpg
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You are so thoughtful! :flowerforyou:

I remember with the news about Boston Marathon hearing something about a program that texted the friends/loved ones of the races to say where they were. I'm wondering if you could contact the race coordinators to ask them if there are any specific websites or apps they use?

As far as gifts, if you know she likes a particular flower then that's a wonderful gift! I love the bright flashy sign idea! Pizza and a big bottle of Gatorade would be lovely as well.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Signs at races are awesome!

awesome_pictures_11.jpg

Lol ^^^
    Agreed. This guy has a different sign for every leg of the 17 leg relay I've participate in. I wish I had more photos/could remember his others

P5261262.jpg

Costumes are fun too (same relay race)
    P5261310.jpg

There are tons of inspirational quotes for posters but I love the funny ones personally.