Breakfast burritos?

funkyspunky871
funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I read about somebody who makes breakfast burritos for the entire week, and I want to try and do the same. I want to put scrambled egg substitute, turkey bacon, and shredded cheese in tortillas. How long do you think they'll last in the fridge? And do I cook the turkey bacon before hand? :) Stupid questions, probably. Sorry!

Replies

• smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    I skip the sausage, but I make egg, salsa, cheese, and tortilla almost every morning. It takes 4 minutes to make. I'd say if you're going to do the sausage, nuke it.
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    i've not made them in bulk to reheat, but i would think you would cook it all the way, then wrap the unused portions in tin foil and freeze. you could probably reheat in the microwave for 2 minutes when you want one! I'd give it a try with one just to make sure though before taking my word for it :P
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Good idea.
  • andaustin
    andaustin Posts: 18 Member
    when i first changed my eating habits i was so BUMMed that i would have to give up eating burritos, but i did a bit of research and asked a nutritionist what they suggested. if your upping your fiber and your lowering carbs and calories. then i would suggest using whole wheat tortilla wraps... great in fiber but SOOOO much better for you that regular flour tortillas... also, the whole wheat tortillas i use are made with olive oil, not the vegetable oils or corns oils used in other tortillas... again a great healthy substitute...
  • funkyspunky871
    Eh, my body is just going to have to live with the flour tortillas and white bread. I've tried wheat, and I absolutely hate it! It's not like I'm eating that many tortillas anyways. And, I need the extra calories and carbs or else I won't make it to my goal. Haha!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    My aunt gave this suggestion to my DH (he's probably the one you saw mention it:wink: ). We cook up 18 eggs at once, with some diced tomatoes and peppers. Throw in some red pepper, and it's good. Divide the mixture among 9 to 10 tortillas, wrap in foil, and refridgerate. We know they last at least a week in the fridge. They never make it longer than that!:laugh: Sometimes, we've been known to freeze them, also. To do that, we wrap in foil, then put in a ziplock bag, squeeze the air out, an put in the freezer.

If you want to add meat, I would definately pre-cook it. That way all you're doing is reheating. If you try to heat it long enough to cook the sausage or bacon, you run the risk of rubber eggs. (The risk of this is increased, anyway, because of the reheating.) If you have other questions, just let me know!:flowerforyou:
  • andaustin
    andaustin Posts: 18 Member
    AWESOME! its always a good feeling to know you have to add calories for you to make your range... and truth be told, i needed em more for the fiber... always good to have fiber...
  • funkyspunky871
    Thanks so much Lisa! I'm new to preparing foods ahead of time. I'm always, ahem... anal about expiration dates.

Andaustin - It sure is. :)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    My aunt gave this suggestion to my DH (he's probably the one you saw mention it:wink: ). We cook up 18 eggs at once, with some diced tomatoes and peppers. Throw in some red pepper, and it's good. Divide the mixture among 9 to 10 tortillas, wrap in foil, and refridgerate. We know they last at least a week in the fridge. They never make it longer than that!:laugh: Sometimes, we've been known to freeze them, also. To do that, we wrap in foil, then put in a ziplock bag, squeeze the air out, an put in the freezer.

If you want to add meat, I would definately pre-cook it. That way all you're doing is reheating. If you try to heat it long enough to cook the sausage or bacon, you run the risk of rubber eggs. (The risk of this is increased, anyway, because of the reheating.) If you have other questions, just let me know!:flowerforyou:

And this weeks batch has a LOT of peppers! They're HOT and good. Ummmmmmm
This discussion has been closed.