P90X and cardio?

Options
gpies
gpies Posts: 56 Member
To those of you that do P90X, do you have to do cardio aside from your video workout? I apologize if this is a silly question, but I was wondering about it (while considering my purchase). Seems a lot of folks on here do their cardio outside or in addition to their weight training, etc. and was wondering how cardio fits in with P90X? I'd be happy to hear anything on this.

Also, for you
P90 Xers out there do you have "stats" you could mention on how it has worked for you (ie. lbs or inces lost, or visual changes in your physique?)

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    there's 3 or 4 cardio dvds that come with the system. You do cardio 2 days a week, yoga 1 day, lift 3 days, and rest 1 day. Not in that order :-)
  • gpies
    Options
    So that's all that's needed is just a few cardio days? hmmm, I'm surprised to hear that. So you still get a large calorie burn out of the other days of the schedule?
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    The cardio included is plenty. And the strength training workouts can burn crazy calories, not to mention the metabolism boost effects of heavy strength training. Some people swap out the cardio included for their own because it's too easy or too hard or they just want something more suited to their tastes.

As for my stats, you can check out my photos in my profile. It shows me at Day 1, 90, and 150 so far (I'm on my second round).
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    I would like to know where I can find it and how much it costs. I have heard so many good things about it.
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have done 2 rounds of p90x & both times I did "extra" cardio. There are 2 "scheduled" cardio days..Kenpo & Plyo X. Once a week you do a Legs & Back workout, & it is a fairly large calorie burn. Then there are 2 upper body focused days...on these days I must admit, I add other cardio. Sometimes I do kickboxing, sometimes step aerobics, sometimes just an easy dance-type dvd...My 2nd round, I subbed Insanity workouts for Plyo X & Kenpo.

As far as "stats", I started out pretty fit before p90x, but still managed to lose 9 pounds, an inch off my chest, 1.25 inches off my hips, 1.5 inches off my thighs & dropped 7% of my body fat. It may sound corny, but p90x turned my life around. I did the "classic" schedule, lifted as heavy of weights as I could, kept my diet very clean & followed the nutrition guide fairly closely.
  • gpies
    Options
    I guess I wasn't considering how much the weight training can contribute to cardio. I always think of them very separately. Thank you very much for the feedback - and it seems like great results!!
  • kimberlymejia
    Options
    I run outside of the P90X videos, usually five days a week. I love running and couldn't live without it. I typically do not do both back to back on the lifting days, will usually do P90X in the morning and then run in the evenings. The average calorie burn is roughly 600 calories a workout, but you gotta work for them. Less effort, will be less calorie burn. I do not follow the diet plan, but eat healthy on my own and often throughout the day.

I just finished up Week 4 and did the 30 day pictures and it was amazing the difference already. I do not know inches lost but can tell so much in my pants that they are "crinkling" at the top when I put on my belt they are getting that big. I am down 11 1/2 pounds. I would recommend it to anyone! This is the first workout program that I've stuck with and it's by far the hardest but I see results and the strength I am gaining is so motivating.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6 of P90X, first round, and with no other cardio than what's provided with the program I dropped my runtime for a 1.5 mile distance from a 15:41 to a 13:26 in 2 months. I've also lost 8 lbs and inches around my waist/hips/highs, as well as getting definition in my muscles everywhere.

@LilMissAngi - you can get it either straight from Beachbody (http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x.do?tnt=TNT_P90X-PLAC_A&code=p90xdotcom) or online at amazon. The full program is $120 (includes nutrition plan, fitness guide, etc); just the DVDs is $65.
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    I run outside of the P90X videos, usually five days a week. I love running and couldn't live without it. I typically do not do both back to back on the lifting days, will usually do P90X in the morning and then run in the evenings. The average calorie burn is roughly 600 calories a workout, but you gotta work for them. Less effort, will be less calorie burn. I do not follow the diet plan, but eat healthy on my own and often throughout the day.

I just finished up Week 4 and did the 30 day pictures and it was amazing the difference already. I do not know inches lost but can tell so much in my pants that they are "crinkling" at the top when I put on my belt they are getting that big. I am down 11 1/2 pounds. I would recommend it to anyone! This is the first workout program that I've stuck with and it's by far the hardest but I see results and the strength I am gaining is so motivating.

Thanks!
  • hsmail21
    hsmail21 Posts: 1
    Options
    I was also thinking of purchasing the P90X and reading about all of the positve results everyone is having I might decide to try it! My husband has been on me to get it for the two of us to try out.
  • kimberlymejia
    Options
    Just one thing I always like to tell people when they are thinking about the program, each workout is an hour to an hour and a half six days a week with an option for rest or stretch (60 minutes) on Sunday. For three months. So you must take that in to consideration.

I do have a friend that has the videos and she doesnt follow the program, just does a video of her choice every now and again but definitely do not get the results, not even close as if you follow the program.
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I could not agree more with kimberlymejia about the committment. It sounds like a great program and it is, BUT you have to be able to commit the time and effort into it. You will not get the results that everyone talks about unless you put in the time. Diet is also very important and can't be left out. Together, you will get major changes to your body in 90 days. Otherwise, you are just throwing your money away. If you do start, don't get too discouraged during the first few weeks. Anyone who is not in great shape struggles with the exercises and the pain. It does get better, but not by much. You end up getting stronger but lift more and work harder. It really takes a toll on the body over the 90 days. The big thing that keeps you going is the mirror and the tape.
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I just got the P90 program a couple of days ago and am on day 3 - I didn't get P90X for the very reason you all were discussing - the time commitment - I work 9 hrs /day 5 days /week w/ and hour and 1/2 commute each way. I knew right now it would be unrealistic for me to think I would be able to workout for and hour-hour and 1/2 everyday for the next 90 days.
    The P90 - while may not be as intense or have the variety as P90X - is a challenging 40 minutes every day w/ 1 rest day. Also comes with a 36 minute Fat Burner DVD. Right now I am only using 5 lb weights and can get through all of the lifting - I might need to increase to 7lbs. I fit an am workout into my schedule and can add a pm workout and, for me, so far so good. The fat burner DVD is great. Today I did that in the morning and just finished sculpt.
    I'm surprised how much I like the workouts and Tony Horton as an trainer - he makes me laugh and the time goes by really quickly. I look forward to seeing my results in 30, 60 and 90 days.

Who knows, maybe then I'll be ready for "X":wink:

Much success on your journey,
    Janet:heart:
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I just got the P90 program a couple of days ago and am on day 3 - I didn't get P90X for the very reason you all were discussing - the time commitment - I work 9 hrs /day 5 days /week w/ and hour and 1/2 commute each way. I knew right now it would be unrealistic for me to think I would be able to workout for and hour-hour and 1/2 everyday for the next 90 days.
    The P90 - while may not be as intense or have the variety as P90X - is a challenging 40 minutes every day w/ 1 rest day. Also comes with a 36 minute Fat Burner DVD. Right now I am only using 5 lb weights and can get through all of the lifting - I might need to increase to 7lbs. I fit an am workout into my schedule and can add a pm workout and, for me, so far so good. The fat burner DVD is great. Today I did that in the morning and just finished sculpt.
    I'm surprised how much I like the workouts and Tony Horton as an trainer - he makes me laugh and the time goes by really quickly. I look forward to seeing my results in 30, 60 and 90 days.

Who knows, maybe then I'll be ready for "X":wink:

Much success on your journey,
    Janet:heart:

I just wanted to say CONGRATS on quitting smoking!!!! That's an awesome accomplishment!! :drinker: Also wanted to just throw out there that Chalene Extreme is a great program as well and the workouts are pretty short 35-45 minutes per day & has 2 rest days scheduled instead of the 1 w/p90x. It is a "complete program" just like p90x...intense, just not as intense & w/o the pull-ups. :flowerforyou:
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I did no other cardio outside of the dvd's but my goal is to get ripped while attaining muscle.

I'm on my 3rd round...

Start:
    288 lbs
    34% bodyfat
    48 jean size

After 2nd round:
    222 lbs
    8% bodyfat
    31 jean size

Program works people.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    I did no other cardio outside of the dvd's but my goal is to get ripped while attaining muscle.

I'm on my 3rd round...

Start:
    288 lbs
    34% bodyfat
    48 jean size

After 2nd round:
    222 lbs
    8% bodyfat
    31 jean size

Program works people.

you kick butt dude!!