Competition at the Gym

ajswriter
ajswriter Posts: 117 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone find themself "competing" with others at the gym? When I don't have a workout buddy, I pick someone to gauge myself against. Tonight, it was only me & a man maybe 10-15 years older. He was there when I got there, I worked out on the elliptical like a crazy person for 30 mins, and he was still going. I wanted to keep it up, but after working all day & having a cold, I had to give it up...but I feel disappointed in myself! Is that nuts?

Replies

• DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    I do a little bit too. When I see ladies who are 20 years older than me lifting weights heavier than me I am motivated! There might be days that you are motivating to someone else!!

D
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    It's not really about the competition, to me, it's about the thought that, "oh.. well if that person can push themselves THAT hard and not break much of a sweat, I suppose I could do a bit more." With that mentality, I've gone from using level 4 on the elliptical trainer to level 10, that i've actually gotten on a treadmill (for some reason I've had a phobia!), and that I've gone from 15kg weights to 20kg when using the strength equipment. I think a little healthy comparison is good for motivation. If it were up to just me to motivate myself, I'd probably exercise a lot less effectively.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    OMG, I thought I was the only one! I am a competitive swimmer and for about 9 months out of the year, I am the best in the pool. When summer rolls around, like it is now, the college/high school swimmers start hitting the gym pool, since swim seasons are over and their schools' pools are closed. These kids make me look like driftwood floating in a kiddie pool! Whenever they start their workouts in the lanes next to me, it always pushes me to try harder, swim faster, improve my technique, and make my intervals.

And yet, they leave me in their wake!

I just have to keep reminding myself that I'm far from 20-someodd years old, have joints that are fused, and have severe RA. At least I'm still in the water and plugging away and should be thankful for that. It just kinda sucks that they remind me of what used to be!
  • ajswriter
    ajswriter Posts: 117 Member
    Interesting...we are at least influenced by the other folks...the reminder to keep on working is key! We can keep it up!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Funny! I'm not like that too much on the machines. But am like that in the pool. I don't like to get passed by anyone, especially if they are doing frog kicks. I'm also like that with push-ups in my Taekwondo class. I never put my knees down between sets. I like to think that I'm stronger than all the little kiddies in my class.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    I absolutely am. Whether I'm in the gym or or running outside...I want to run a little faster or longer or lift a little more than the person next to me...Nuts, I know... :laugh: But for me, it pushes me and it's motivating.

Heck, sometimes when I lift, I lift next to the biggest guy in the place. Mind you I won't be curling those 50 pound weights, but you get the idea
This discussion has been closed.