MFP got me fired!

Options

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have been talked to previously about being on here visibly like if someone peeked over my shoulder or over my cubicle in just the right way you could see I was on it but I always minimized the window when anyone walked in or when I was doing work which when I was on here more visibly it was because I literally had no other work on my plate and they had no work to offer me so it was kind of odd to call me on it without giving me a working alternative. Anyways, I definitely spend a lot of time on here but it's usually during my downtime which I have less frequently since one of my team members went on maternity leave. I bet though if there was a company wide audit on computer use that more than 1/2 the people would be spending what they'd consider too much time (over an hour) doing non-work related activites. At least I don't visit facebook and play farmville and stuff like that as I have seen countless people do. I am at least on a website that promotes a healthy lifestyle and is helping me maintain a healthy lifestyle lol.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    lol good, you're clearly a useless worker with a crappy work ethic if you spend 7 hours of an 8 hour workday on this website

You assume I work an 8 hour day. Maybe 7, 10, 12?

It's an addiction and the employer should help the employee. Are there weekly meetings for something like this, you know like AA.
  • TheWinman
    Options
    I have been talked to previously about being on here visibly like if someone peeked over my shoulder or over my cubicle in just the right way you could see I was on it but I always minimized the window when anyone walked in or when I was doing work which when I was on here more visibly it was because I literally had no other work on my plate and they had no work to offer me so it was kind of odd to call me on it without giving me a working alternative. Anyways, I definitely spend a lot of time on here but it's usually during my downtime which I have less frequently since one of my team members went on maternity leave. I bet though if there was a company wide audit on computer use that more than 1/2 the people would be spending what they'd consider too much time (over an hour) doing non-work related activites. At least I don't visit facebook and play farmville and stuff like that as I have seen countless people do. I am at least on a website that promotes a healthy lifestyle and is helping me maintain a healthy lifestyle lol.

Yes, no FB or games it was to just better my health. A healthy employee makes a better employee, right?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    That's why I liked Google Chrome at the office. Alt+F4 closes the window and all tabs without asking like IE does. The IT manager liked to come in without knocking and decide to walk around to my side of the computer and show me dumb things.

*this is all in past-tense because I was laid off, not fired over Mfp :p
  • jelk8881
    jelk8881 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yeah right I have been going nuts trying to find a job. Its so hard when you can only work certain hours.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I would be totally screwed, because MFP is open from the time I log on til I go home.

Maybe I shouldn't have kept 40+ tabs open. lol

We have Symantec Endpoint, and even though I Alt-Tab out, the stupid ActiveScan screen pops up and automatically switches back to MFP!
  • TheWinman
    Options
    I would be totally screwed, because MFP is open from the time I log on til I go home.

We have Symantec Endpoint, and even though I Alt-Tab out, the stupid ActiveScan screen pops up and automatically switches back to MFP!

I have a serious tab problem. At home on Chrome I usually have about 55-60 tabs open.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options

^^ Ditto
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    An audit of computer use by my employer revealed that I spend 7 hours of my work day using the computer for personal use, mainly the MFP site. Thanks alot MFP!!

Hmmm...you couldn't use your cellphone for your personal use? Whatever happened to personal culpability? MFP did not make you use your company computer for your personal business. You gave them one hour of work use for the eight you were contracted? tsk, tsk, tsk.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    That's like blaming McDonald's because one ate their food too much and became overweight.

Well, in a way it is McDonalds fault. :)

Exactly. McDonalds made him fat, so he had to turn to MFP. Poor guy. Find a job where you can work from home, and then they won't be able to check your comp history. Solved it for you.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

I have a serious tab problem. At home on Chrome I usually have about 55-60 tabs open.

I do if I see a lot of forum posts I want to check out, but generally I only I have 2 or 3 (one being Pandora). Today I tabbed out because I went outside with a co-worker to look at my Jeep, and when I came back the ActiveScan screen was up, and so was the page I was using to search gifs. Freakin' tattletale.
  • TheWinman
    Options
    An audit of computer use by my employer revealed that I spend 7 hours of my work day using the computer for personal use, mainly the MFP site. Thanks alot MFP!!

Hmmm...you couldn't use your cellphone for your personal use? Whatever happened to personal culpability? MFP did not make you use your company computer for your personal business. You gave them one hour of work use for the eight you were contracted? tsk, tsk, tsk.
    Another assumption of an 8 hour work day. :) Guys and extensive typing on a phone does not work well.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Only 7 hours? Damn, mine would be more like 8 hours and 29 minutes!
  • sapphire318
    sapphire318 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Oh my!!! Hope mine is never audited...think I had better start using my phone..logging off now :sick:
  • TheWinman
    Options

I do if I see a lot of forum posts I want to check out, but generally I only I have 2 or 3 (one being Pandora). Today I tabbed out because I went outside with a co-worker to look at my Jeep, and when I came back the ActiveScan screen was up, and so was the page I was using to search gifs. Freakin' tattletale.

That sucks that it pops back up. :) What kind of jeep? YOu can answer on my wall if you would like.
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    tumblr_li7n41teNv1qafrh6.jpg
    Look at it this way... now you have more time for MFP!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options

Me too
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    A little basic Internet 101 might be in order.

When you hit a web page (open, refresh or click a link, whatever), data is sent between your computer and the server. It all happens in a matter of moments and the connections are closed. This is generally how web based internet works. Your IT department can monitor and log these connections at the router. Unless you're company has monitoring software on the computer itself, they have no idea what windows you have open in your browser, except for those momentary connections.

If you have MFP sitting open on your desktop for hours on end, doing nothing, nothing is happening and and there is nothing to be logged. It's only when you are actively using it that connections are being made. So the person who is claiming to be fired had to be actively using MFP, a lot, to show that much internet usage. When I was the IT Manager, I would have reported that level of activity to the persons supervisor and Human Resources. At that point, it is up to them.

Personally if I were an employer and I had a guy who spent his entire day doing ANY personal stuff on the internet and not working, I'd fire them too. A person who hit MFP a few times a day, maybe even a couple dozen times a day? No big deal. But then, I'm not his (former) employer.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    You seem awful happy about this...are you really serious about getting fired or are you just messing with everyone? If it had gotten me fired, I know I wouldn't be happy about it at ALL!
  • TheWinman
    Options
    You seem awful happy about this...are you really serious about getting fired or are you just messing with everyone? If it had gotten me fired, I know I wouldn't be happy about it at ALL!

Coping mechanism