Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    TDEE, Google is our friend!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Can you enlighten me... what is the TDEE method? I don't think I have heard of that before and would be interested in learning more.....
    How about not logging calories since HRM's are only marginally accurate anyway and don't account for the period post-exercise in which you're metabolism is still on overdrive, use the TDEE method of calculating your calories, and simplify your lives by not worrying about logging exercise and crap like "oh I swept up cat litter and picked up my husbands dirty drawers off the ground, that's worth 100 calories right?" TDEE is so much easier and just as accurate folks, if not more accurate.

TDEE is Total Dailey Energy Expenditure. It incorporates your daily activity, and I believe height, weight, and bodyfat% (been a while since I've had to calculate it myself) and tells you what you should be eating. You don't have to worry about eating back exercise calories burned and all that nonsense. I apologize if I'm coming off as harsh. The reality is that HRM's are a swag at best and in many cases a HUGE swag. Just Google HRM's and accuracy and you'll find plenty of articles about it. I think a brisk walk or something like that was the most accurate calorie measure. However, your body is still highly metabolic after exercise and the HRM does not account for that, so counting some calorie "burn" and not the other is kinda' silly in the end. Heck, I've talked with many pro-trainers (not local gym trainers) that don't even have their clients count calories in the first place, just get them on a better eating plan. It will absolutely simplify your life and make your goals easier to get to, instead of worrying about tracking very calorie "burnt". :)
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Purely for the sake of curiousity, I wore my HRM during my usual Saturday afternoon clean. Vacuumed 3 levels, plus stairs, changed linens, did laundry, dusted etc. I was at it for a good 2.5 hours.

My HRM said I had burned 167 calories. My house looked great, I felt great with how clean it was, but I was never under any impression that these Saturday afternoon cleaning sessions were workouts.