sugar alcohols

Options
Is consuming sugar alchohol bad for you? I know they will cause you some stomach aches and give you a laxative effect, but are they healthy??!!

I'm finding protein bars will have sugar alcohol in it!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    They're fine.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    I don't know about healthy...my son is allowed to deduct sugar alcohol from carbs to lower the net carb calculation for his insulin (type 1 diabetes) so they must have a different effect on the body than other sugars...but as far as healthy, I don't know. Will be interested to see other responses. Personally I don't tolerate them well - gas, bloating, grossness.
  • davidjkirk
    Options
    I think they're pretty healthy and they are low-caloric.

They come from food and naturally occur in corn husks, birch trees and strawberries. (As opposed to Nutrasweet and all the other artificial sweeteners.)

Amberlyn Chocolates are some really delicious ones we've used for several years.

If you go crazy in the amounts, there can be digestive issues, but if you consume them in moderate to low amounts you should be fine.

Just be aware that sugar alcohols are poisonous to dogs!
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think they're fine as well. They keep your blood sugar from spiking as opposed to regular sugar. I also read where it's supposed to be better for your teeth as well than regular sugar. The protein bars I eat (Think Thin) has 0 sugar, but 14g Sugar Alcohols. I haven't noticed any reactions from it on my end. Since I'm doing low carb, I generally go for the SA :smile: