couch to 5 k alternative??

Options
Hi everyone. I downloaded the podcast for the couch to 5 k and I have to admit, it seems a little harsh to me. I remember some years ago I found a "beginner's running" program that started off much gentler. I think the first week was something like walk 7 minutes run 1 minute, alternating for a total of 30 minutes. And you still completed it in 10 weeks! This was before the days of podcasts so I just timed myself on the treadmill. My question is this: Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative to couch to 5k? And if they do, how did they go about timing it while outdoors? Thanks!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Try the C25K program at www.coolrunning.com
    It starts at walk 5 mins, run 1 min, walk 1:30, rinse & repeat run/walk intervals until you get to 25 mins, then a 5 min cool down walk for a 30 min work out.

Pod Runner pod casts drove me bananas. Now I just push myself to grow and rock out to good tunes :)
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have a different pod cast without the voice if that might help you... the way it sounds you are looking for a totally different program, but if you are interested in just the music and the counting down then this one is helpful!

http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    how did they go about timing it while outdoors? Thanks!

Get a stop watch, or HRM, and do your intervals however you want.
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I made my own running playlist for my ipod using music I love. I took slower songs and used 2 to 3 of them as a warm up, then I did a sequence of 2 or 3 faster songs for running, one slower song for walking, 2 or 3 faster, one slower, etc ending with 3 slow songs for a cool down. Itunes tells you exactly how long each song is, so I could make the running/walking portions measure out however I wanted. After I used the first playlist 4 times or so, I was ready to make a new playlist where the running times got longer and the walking times got shorter and fewer. I loved it because it was all songs I loved a lot. I bought a lot of songs from my teenage years that I hadn't heard in a long time!
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is great info, thanks! Seems like the couch to 5 k is a great program. I should just get over my fear and go for it!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    This is great info, thanks! Seems like the couch to 5 k is a great program. I should just get over my fear and go for it!

Me too, running has always scared the crap out of me though. lol Not sure why!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is AWESOME! It totally works and is SO do-able. I have NEVER been a runner and now I can run 20 min straight no sweat. Had to slow down a little during the program because I got plantar fasciitis but I still love to run now!