Who uses MFP with 2 lb week loss - Hows it working for you?

2»

Replies

• CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,251 Member
    Sounds great everyone. Thank you for your comments. I am currently a bit confused. I keep reading about staying above your BMR under your TDEE but I am losing consistent weight just by using MFP at the 1900 calories a day it says I should be on now. I see there are alot of opinions on the two approaches and it kind of makes things a bit confusing on which a person should be using. I always thought that a 500 cal deficit a day meant a pound loss a week. So if you just take your BMR subtract the 500 you would lose a pound a week. Simple and easy. Add some exercise and thats additional weight lost. I now read alot about TDEE and I do wonder if I should switch things up to get over my BMR but then I say I'm losing weight at a good pace, I feel strong and healthier than I have in a long time so why shake things up?

My ultimate goal is to drop another 60 pounds or so and get down to about 200 and then start lifting to put some muscle mass on. At the rate I'm going I should hit that goal around Nov or Dec. I currently do cardio/weight training so I can burn fat and keep as much muscle as I already have.
    You should really not eat at more than a 20% deficit from your TDEE number.
    Yes, a 500 cal deficit/per day would equal roughly a 1lb loss per week, however, for many people, a 500 cal deficit would be wayyyy too low calorie wise. Also, that deficit comes off your TDEE, not your BMR number - you should not eat below BMR.

So for example, if your TDEE is 2000, then 2000 - 20% = 1600 (that is obviously only a 400 calorie reduction, so you would lose less than 1 lb per week in this example.) If your BMR is higher than 1600, then you should not eat at the 20% deficit, and adjust accordingly.

Also, check this out, it will explain things a lot more http://eatmore2weighless.com/

Keep in mind, MFP assumes you will eat back all of the exercise calories you burn, whereas, when using a TDEE calculator, your expected calories burned will be included in the number it gives you.