WHEN are you supposed to drink your water?

Options
This has been a point of confusion for me. I have heard that you are not supposed to drink your water too close to your meals - like not for a half before or until an hour after you've eaten.

I eat every 2-4 hours and I'm a slow eater, so that would leave me a very narrow window to get all of my water in.

I usually just drink it whenever I want, but I was wondering has anyone else come across this? Is this just total B.S.?

:drinker:

Replies

• amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it before. Doesn't make sense to me.

Considering that some people think you should eat 5-6 smaller meals per day, that REALLY wouldn't leave time to drink water!

I would just drink it when you want to, or drink it constantly throughout the day. I always have water at hand.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you are not supposed to drink your water too close to your meals - like not for a half before or until an hour after you've eaten.

That is ridiculous and utter BS. Drink when you are thirsty. There is no magic amount to drink, just stay hydrated (you can tell via your pee color):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/857659-the-definitive-how-much-water-do-i-really-need-thread
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Whenever you are not drinking alcohol...

I am in a mood today! :bigsmile:
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Drink when thirsty, stop when not. Simple as that.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I just keep a bottle of water by me at all times - in my desk, in the car, in my handbag - and swig from it every 10-15 minutes. I don't worry about how close to mealtimes that is. I drink water with my meals too.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I have never heard that, ever in my life... I drink a ton of water. Partly because I know it's good for me to stay hydrated, partly because I tend to be over on sodium pretty much daily & drinking a lot of water helps counteract the water retention that the sodium overload causes... And partly because it helps me feel full. As far as "when" to drink it? I start first thing in the morning & stop by 8PM most of the time. Reason for that being: if I stop by 8PM, I usually won't have to get up to pee in the middle of the night, even if I've had 18 8 oz servings in a day.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I drink it all day long every day. I've never heard about times when you aren't supposed to drink.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Silliest thing I've heard all day. Drink whenever. I drink water all day along, and lots of it. Even with my meals and while I'm cooking them and before bed.
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I drink it with every meal and all day honestly. Never heard that before and wouldn't follow that.
  • His_Buttercup2015
    His_Buttercup2015 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot about drinking water lately. Drink a glass before you eat so you eat less (for those dieting), if you're thirsty you're already dehydrated, on and on. I really don't think there's a good or bad time to drink water. I just keep it handy to remind myself to drink more of it.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    I drink 1.5 litres through the day at work and then another 1/2 litre during the evening.

I drink when I'm thirsty, no timings at all...
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Whenever you are not drinking alcohol...

I am in a mood today! :bigsmile:

you beat me to it! Drink water when you arent drinking alcohol! actually drink water in between your alcohol drinks too. helps with the hangover and deydration the following day! =)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I take swallows of water off and on all day long, including with meals.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of anything like that...I drink water all day long. I often drink a big glass of water before meals because it helps me feel full sooner, (thus eliminating the likelihood of overeating when I've actually had enough food)

Out of curiosity, what was the reasoning you heard behind this silly theory?
  • seths_wife
    seths_wife Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Drink whenever you need a drink. Works for me. :smile:
  • Nickstery
    Nickstery Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I drink 3 20oz bottles of water each day.

I drink them as I want them and have no problem hitting this while eating food or not.

Especially during the work week I will fill up my first one around 0830 and have it done before 1000 for a second one and have that done by lunch time and then able to drink a third one throughout the day. If I want more I will drink more.
  • dellis83
    dellis83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This has been a point of confusion for me. I have heard that you are not supposed to drink your water too close to your meals - like not for a half before or until an hour after you've eaten.

I eat every 2-4 hours and I'm a slow eater, so that would leave me a very narrow window to get all of my water in.

I usually just drink it whenever I want, but I was wondering has anyone else come across this? Is this just total B.S.?

:drinker:

Actually the opposite, it is good to drink water right before you eat.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/198720.php
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    There are certain types of dogs (barrel chested) that are not supposed to drink water after they eat. It is believed that this can bring on a condition called "bloat" that is very deadly. (The dog in "Marley and Me" died from this). Beside that, I've never heard of humans needing to limit when they drink water.
  • earvizu92
    earvizu92 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    24/7.........:drinker:
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    Haha thanks everyone, that's what I assumed but I just heard it randomly (can't even recall where, now that I think of it) and wondered if there was any merit to it at all.