HYPOTHYROIDISM - An Excuse?

Options
2»

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism is not an excuse! I have been reading up on it and my understanding is this condition slows down ones systems. Test results seem to go in reverse, 1 or 2 is probably ok. There is debate in the medical profession as to the level at which to start treatment. The US and Australia seem to think someone registering 3 with symptoms needs medication, the UK tend to be at a higher number, generalisation. Historically when natural thyroid was the only option you were offered the amount which eased all the symptoms, since the synthetic for was available for T3 and 4, and the test became "reliable" there has been a tendency to go with the numbers. From what I have read the natural offers support for all T's 1, 2, 3, and 4, in a ratio most in line with our requirements. Here in the UK I think for the most part only synthetic is available.

I find the cumulative effects that can be caused by under activity to be dumbfounding. Various stages in the digestive system can be slugish in themselves or as a whole, "sugar absorption" of all kinds of sugar can be impaired, finger nails weak, splitty, and painful, hair thin, eyebrows thin to best part missing, just to mention a few which I think are my issues.

My information came from the UK, USA, and the Australian thyroid support sites. I found the Australian one particularly informative.
  • foss44
    foss44 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    TAKE THE MEDS!!!

I am also hypothyroid and I can tell you I feel SO much better it's not even a joke!

You wouldn't tell a Diabetic they don't need their insulin, and neither should you tell yourself that you don't need thyroid meds.

More than likely you have Hashimotos, which is an autoimmune thyroid disorder. That means your body is attacking your thyroid and slowing killing it off. Synthroid (or Levothyroxine) is not a diet pill, it's not a crutch, it's a cure for a very real medical disorder.