weights in "women's area" and reg. area not the same?

Options
I just started doing NROL4W (in my second week) and am not that comfortable in the general lifting area, so I do what I can in the women only area of my gym. They have a pulley-machine-thingy for the wide-grip lateral pull-downs (I think that's what they are called). There's no bench, so I sat on a Swiss ball and did the pull down exercise. Last time I did it with 120lb (15 reps last week). They are putting new carpet in the women area this week, so since I couldn't go in there, I found a machine that looked like it was the same, except it had a bench to sit on and a bar that goes above your knees so you're more stable. I put the weight on 120 lbs and couldn't even move it. How embarrassing... I had to move it all the way down to 80 lbs before I could do 12 reps, and then I could only barely do them. So.... 120 lb for women = 80 lb for men???? I will check the machines again when they open up the women area again next week, but I found that very odd...

Replies

• ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Possibly more pulleys on the "women's" machine? High school physics explanation, the weight setting is usually the weight of the slabs, not the force you're exerting, this is why it's usually good to mark your progress on one machine. Also, what's up with no bench in the women's room? Not cool, I'd drag one in there, but that's me.

Edit: That's not to say there's anything wrong with the ball, that works too.