Best HRM watch?

Options
I need help...can anyone suggest a good heart rate monitor for my workouts?? Im currently doing Insanity and I need to make sure i'm not over working myself that I am burning muscle! Please advise?
Also where you purchased it? Looking to buy one in the next few days.

Replies

• Kaulette
    Kaulette Posts: 7
    Options
    I have a New Balance N4. I use it every time I work out and I have found it to be pretty accurate. Plus the price is decent. I know Polar is a highly reputable brand but people have complained about the battery and having to send it back to have the battery replaced when it dies. That was the main reason I decided not to go with the Polar. Also the N4 is sleek and not bulky which was another reason why I choose that one. I purchased mine from Amazon but I believe you can buy them at Target.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You want something with a chest strap. The wrist only models will measure your pulse from time to time. The chest strap measures your heart rate all the time. I like my Polar f4.
  • steelyjoe22
    steelyjoe22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin forerunner 410. It was purchased on Amazon. They're pricey due to the GPS functionality, so it may not be worth it if you never run. I use it for running 4-5 days a week. Rechargeable battery, life is so-so.
  • Kaulette
    Kaulette Posts: 7
    Options
    The New Balance N4 has a chest strap.
  • ChinoHDT
    ChinoHDT Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    polar rs100 does the job
  • Elly115
    Elly115 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yeah Ive read that the chest strap is a MUST! Im going to check out the New balance thanks. And that GPS functionality sounds convenient but I already use mapmyrun so I think I'm set there. But I know alot of people speak very highly of the Polor products....WHY is there so many choices? :noway:

Thanks everyone for your input
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT7. It has a chest strap and after setting your age, weight, etc - the calorie burns and HR counts are accurate.

last Oct. I had wanted a new HR monitor - went to Target for a new one. They were 'out' of the polars and because I was going on vacation, I settled for a less expensive New Balance.
    I am sorry to report that my experience was not like the others who reported a positive experience with New Balance.
    After just a few weeks the HRM was logging me at 200+ heart rates even though I knew that that was not possible!! So, I reset it and washed the chest strap as they recommended. Eventually I was back to Polar. The Polars they sell now allow you the ability to change your own battery in the FT7 in both the watch and the chest strap.

Good luck!

Oh! I purchased mine at Sports Authority. :flowerforyou:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance N4. I use it every time I work out and I have found it to be pretty accurate. Plus the price is decent. I know Polar is a highly reputable brand but people have complained about the battery and having to send it back to have the battery replaced when it dies. That was the main reason I decided not to go with the Polar. Also the N4 is sleek and not bulky which was another reason why I choose that one. I purchased mine from Amazon but I believe you can buy them at Target.
    I also have a New Balance N4 - have had it for around three years I think? Works great, no troubles with it, and I bought mine on eBay, brand new for $26. :bigsmile:
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar ft4 for any workouts that I do indoors. It is awesome! I've had to replace the battery one time and found the battery at Radio Shack. It was easy for me to change. I highly recommend it~!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I need help...can anyone suggest a good heart rate monitor for my workouts?? Im currently doing Insanity and I need to make sure i'm not over working myself that I am burning muscle! Please advise?

What? Who told you that you would burn muscle by overworking? Eat a diet that is high in protein and work your muscles to death. When you tear them down they get rebuilt even stronger. You know those callouses on your feet from THOSE shoes. You know what I mean. Does your foot disintegrate at that point or does it get built up and get thicker and tougher. Your body knows what to do.
  • dagonee
    dagonee Posts: 10
    Options
    There are watches that take continuous heart rate measurements now, but reviews have been mixed. Mio makes the Alpha, and I think Omcron makes one, too.