I totally tricked myself into exercise - A friendly share...

Options
What Works For Me

I am writing this to share the silly way I "trick" myself into exercise. Yes, it is silly! And yes, it may sound crazy... but alas... It works for me!

A little background:

I am not a runner, yoga-chic, gym-rat, inspired-to-work-out type. At all. Like never ever wanted to be, still don't. But I am at a place in my weight loss journey where I am only losing and gaining the same stupid 4-5 lbs.

My eating habit change was enough change for this girl right here. I did it after 20 years of suffering from binge-eating disorder. I sought help and 2.5 years of cognitive therapy later, I decided it was time to change. Something. Anything.

Actually it was an "a-ha!" moment that changed me. It came in the form of my body speaking to my spirit saying basically, "Look here, woman! I have carried you for 40 freakin' years and with all the crap you put me through (drugs, liquor, food, etc) I never once gave up on you! Never a broken bone or major surgery. And you never cared. Not once. So now, I am quitting this job and it is YOUR turn to take care of ME!" My spirit responded with an "Oh. My. God. You are totally right, and I'm sorry... I got this!" promise.

So far I have kept this promise to myself. First time I ever actually meant it, and all! Go me, right?!

I have a stationary bike that I dry my laundry on. It practically mocks me everytime I look at it. I've been on it a whole 2 times as of late. I have a gorgeous, open space park in my own 'hood'..yet I never take a walk there. I have a pilates DVD that I watched/did 3 times; it is still in the player. It collects dust just like my bike and my walking shoes.

What works for me:

When I get home from work I turn on music before I even put my purse down. It is through this habit that I have formed another habit: Dancing!

Dancing is fun to me. I love to bop around my house jammin' to my favorite tunes. I can't help myself from moving when I hear them. I stand in my bedroom mirror and dance. I keep my ear-rings, rings, necklace on, and I wear this summer-tube-top dress thing that I feel good in. Why? Because I think I look cute. (Lol-I'm not a snob, it just helps the cause to feel cute.) I dance. I move, I watch myself. Then I thought.. heck, since I am dancing, I might as well hold those 3lb weights (per hand) that acted as a door stopper.

There I go... dancing, bopping, grooving, throwing my hands in the air like I just don't care, I do believe I even threw in the 'running man' a few times just to make myself laugh so that I keep enjoying what I am doing. I dance like a complete and total idiot and it is so funny/fun/entertaining that before I know it I've "exercised" for 30, 40, 50 minutes!!! What?! Yes. In all my silly glory, I have found a way to make 'exercise' easy and low-pressure for myself.

Maybe this post will/could/might help another human like me that hates to "work-out".

Maybe it just made you laugh, and that is okay too...'Cuz tonight.. when I get home... I'll be there in the mirror...with my "cute" things on... dancing my *kitten* off...laughing, too!!

I may even turn on my disco ball this time.

Replies

• dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Fun is the BEST exercise! I started exercising by playing Wii Fit! Totally changed how I looked at exercise! FUN, who knew? Congrats and keep on shakin your groove! :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    very inspiring :flowerforyou:

so glad you found a way to exercise that you really enjoy
  • Ragingwitch
    Options
    I do that too - when you realise you have danced in your office (at home!!) to about 20 tracks from the late 80s/early 90s to relive your childhood you've done about an hours' exercise!
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Brilliant!!! LOVE it....you keep dancing and having fun girl :-)
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Love this! Glad you found what works for you:) We do "dance parties" at our house alot too...my duaghter puts on her tutu, my son gets on his plastic hard hat and we jump around the living room to video's on YouTube. Time flies, we get exhausted and our tummies hurt from giggling. Feel those calories burn!
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Awesome. It really is about finding something you enjoy and moving :) I was talking my daughters (and mine ! ) Akido Sensei about how it has to be fun. Seriously there is so much we have to do, whether we are kids ore adults, that we have to find activities that we enjoy . Keep it up and maybe now that you are getting into dancing and moving, other activities might also be more enjoyable . I really love that you have posted this :flowerforyou: