Is it possible to lose weight on calorie reduction alone?

Options

Replies

• TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    calorie reduction along with strength training a few times a week. it doesn't have to be much more
    complicated that that.

You do not need to add strength training to lose weight.

This is correct.

this is also correct!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    A calorie reduction below actual TDEE will always result in weight-loss.

However, without strength-training or other resistance-type exercises, much of it will be lean-mass (ie: muscle) instead of fat...

Strength/Resistance training in combination with calories below TDEE will help retain lean mass (not all of it, but a higher percentage) than calorie-reduction alone. This is by-far preferable if you can manage it...

Agreed. The is exactly the reason why most girls can't do pull ups or push ups: too much cardio and not enough protein.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight with calorie reduction alone. But you will just become a smaller you. Your shape won't change.

To change your shape you need to lift weights and they need to get progressively heavier so they continually challenge your body to adapt.
  • kevinrbarger
    kevinrbarger Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! When I first started this I wasn't exercising at all and ended up losing a ton. Well, not literally, but figuratively.

Then my doc made me watch this short vid on youtube called 23 1/2 Hours which is all about the health benefits of walking 30 minutes a day. That seemed doable, and I started that. I saw an immediate increase in the amount was losing. Whereas I was losing about 2lbs a week on average, I started losing about 3. And that was just from a 30 minute brisk walk every day!

So, yes, you can definitely lose weight by not doing anything. But if you do do something, even something really simple, the increase in the amount lost can be dramatic!
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost most of my weight without ever exercising.

If you want to significantly reduce your body fat percentage, though, you're going to need some exercise- resistance training in particular.
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL so much for your answers! Although I am not so big, I need to lose FAT so I need to work out as well as reduce my calorie intake, don't I? Thanks a lot, I knew you'd have words of wisdom for me and I really appreciate it. Most people mention strength training rather than cardio, is that right? THANKS AGAIN! :)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Not "yes, but...."

Just yes.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    calorie reduction along with strength training a few times a week. it doesn't have to be much more
    complicated that that.

You don't *need* to...

...but you should...

...for many various other reasons.

Agreed, but OP asked about losing on calorie reduction alone. Has lifting become the new vegetarianism?

Also.. go away. :wink:
  • holothuroidea
    Options
    A calorie reduction below actual TDEE will always result in weight-loss.

However, without strength-training or other resistance-type exercises, much of it will be lean-mass (ie: muscle) instead of fat...

Strength/Resistance training in combination with calories below TDEE will help retain lean mass (not all of it, but a higher percentage) than calorie-reduction alone. This is by-far preferable if you can manage it...

Agreed. The is exactly the reason why most girls can't do pull ups or push ups: too much cardio and not enough protein.

This is so wrong.

"Girls" can't do pull ups or push ups because our bodies don't favor upper body strength, not to mention that we have 50% less strength for the same amount of body mass as compared to men. It's called a difference in sex hormones, less testosterone in particular. As far as I know, you can't increase your testosterone by doing less cardio and eating more protein.

Females have to work harder for push ups and pull ups than men do, and they're less likely to be encouraged do do that extra work. That's why most women can't do them, it has nothing to do with running too much or eating too much salad.
  • holothuroidea
    Options
    Thank you ALL so much for your answers! Although I am not so big, I need to lose FAT so I need to work out as well as reduce my calorie intake, don't I? Thanks a lot, I knew you'd have words of wisdom for me and I really appreciate it. Most people mention strength training rather than cardio, is that right? THANKS AGAIN! :)

Resistance training is important to reduce the amount of muscle mass you loose during weight loss, but if you don't like lifting weights, cardio is better than nothing.

There are also programs that combine the two, like crossfit and insanity and other HIIT based programs. Just set some fitness goals, try a bunch of different things, and find out what you like.
  • haroon_awan
    Options

Not sure if serious or just stupid as *kitten*.

I am serious. Simple example: a friend of mine spent three hours recently on the elliptical and she's a vegetarian, gets about 20g of protein a day. Can't do a push up to save her life.

Prove to me that what she is doing isn't detrimental to her strength.
  • TylerJ76
    Options

Not sure if serious or just stupid as *kitten*.

I am serious. Simple example: a friend of mine spent three hours recently on the elliptical and she's a vegetarian, gets about 20g of protein a day. Can't do a push up to save her life.

Prove to me that what she is doing isn't detrimental to her strength.

Prove to me that she went 3 hours on an elliptical. I call BS
  • gottogetinshape
    Options
    It's possible to lose weight by amputating limbs too.

That comment is not nice or necessary, is it?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    complicated that that.

You don't *need* to...

...but you should...

...for many various other reasons.

Agreed, but OP asked about losing on calorie reduction alone. Has lifting become the new vegetarianism?

Also.. go away. :wink:

Convert to the One True Way to optimal health!

Convert!!!
  • gottogetinshape
    Options
    Thanks again for all your advice. I'm going to buy some resistance bands/tubes. These look good: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9102538.htm
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It's possible to lose weight by amputating limbs too.

That comment is not nice or necessary, is it?

If all you want is weight loss....
  • haroon_awan
    Options

Dr. Troll, how hard is it to do 3 hours of low-medium intensity cardio? I work in a cafe and have to walk for 6+ hours a day.

Would you like me to film her next time so you can stare at her *kitten* for 3 hours?
  • TylerJ76
    Options

Dr. Troll, how hard is it to do 3 hours of low-medium intensity cardio? I work in a cafe and have to walk for 6+ hours a day.

Would you like me to her next time so you can stare at her *kitten* for 3 hours?

I think you need to look up what a troll is.

Would I like you to what to her? I have better things to do than stare at a girls *kitten* on an elliptical for 3 hours.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Studies prove it. Exercise, while important, does not contribute much to losing weight. Weight loss is all about diet. Ignoring exercise, however, is dangerous and you do it at your own peril. Unless a doctor has told you not to exercise, it's a very bad plan and you'll later regret it. But yes, you can lose weight without moving a finger.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Yes, it is. Exercise does help aid you in weight loss, muscle gain, and has other health benefits, though. But if you are very limited in what exercises you can do, eating at a deficit will still allow you to lose weight.