Not doing so well...

Kinda was hoping for some peoples storys about falling off of the wagom and how they got back onto it amd how then you get back into the routime of saying no to food atm im putting all my will power to stop smoking but need to keep eating healthu fallen off wagon for about 5 weeks now please help!!!

Friends requests always welcome :D

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Congratulations for stopping smoking. I quit many years ago. I would try one thing at a time and not beat up on yourself -- in fact, give yourself some pats on the back about the cigarettes. When you've quit for 4-6 months and feel more solid about it, then look at weight loss. When I quit smoking for the final time, I also went to a stop-smoking program, which really helped. Quitting smoking for me was a major, major thing and there was no way I would have attempted anything else at the time. Best of luck! You can do both, just go easy.
  • I have those moments, and really it becomes about forgiving yourself. Just let the past be in the past, and look to now to recapture your fighting spirit. You obviously want to get back on the wagon, or you wouldn't be here, right?

Decide NOW to take the power back.
    Baby steps, deep breaths, and be kind to yourself.
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Willpower is a finite resource, it needs to be recharged. You were trying to do two willpower draining things at the same time.

I would focus on the smoking first and just keep track of the food you eat. Don't worry as much about how much you are eating, just keep track of it. In the process you might eat a little less, but dont worry about anything other than quitting smoking. Then worry about weight loss.
  • dayr1993
    dayr1993 Posts: 102 Member
    Yeah i think its been hard doing both im on 9 weeks with only 1 mishap and 1 cig in that time and its been hard but i think i ahve replaced the reward of smoking with the reward of eating which i need to start but your right im too critical take it 1 day at a time with baby steps.

Im going to texas over the summer to be a lifeguard and im dreading them asking for uniforms and mine being the fattest they have to give out i went through that as a teenager and it has scared me for life i don't tihnk i could handle going through it another 5 years later :(
  • I am right there with you! Congratulations on quitting smoking!

19 months ago I was 205 lbs (the lightest I'd been since middle school), then my non-smoker [now] fiancee and I moved in together, and I immediately quit smoking AND started hormonal birth control... in the SAME week! (What was I thinking?!) You do not even want to know how many Snickers Almonds bars I ate just trying to give up nicotine. I fell back into all the dark habits: hoarding and hiding food, binging, eating in secret. I gained 50 lbs over the first 12 months. Only after I had been smoke free for about a year, and felt like I had a handle on that addiction, could I start focusing on my health. I'm proud to say that with a lot of work and support (and a better birth control method) I'm back down to 220 lbs.

It was about taking it one addiction at a time for me. It is not a fast process, unfortunately, but it is so worth it. Keep up the good work. It will get easier.
  • KBGAgent
    KBGAgent Posts: 165 Member
    Your journey to being healthy is more important than the destination to be fit. I never really smoked, so I cannot speak to how hard it is to quit. But, I've fought the battle of the bulge many times.

Do log your food so your know what you're eating, even if you are gaining or just not loosing.
    Do learn about the foods you need to feel TRUELY satisfied. Having enough protein was/is important for me or I am always hungry.
    Cardio helps cut the weight faster. Find what you like.

You can do it. And keep asking for help when you get stuck.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    I would just focus on not smoking for now - it is by far the most important thing you can do for your health. If you are motivated by more superficial results (no worries - many of us are, lol) you can also note that quitting smoking will reduce wrinkles and improve your complexion. Try to get in some exercise - it will help restore proper brain chemistry that is jacked up by nicotine dependence and withdrawls. Other than that, get some raw honey sticks. A little bit of sweet can go a long way to fighting an intense craving.
  • :wink: Doing good girl.
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Its a lot to take on but you can do it. I've been through that and you will succeed, you already are! :)
    I found planning your day when you feel the strongest. What your going to eat and take something with you if your going to be in a situation where there isn't what you want. Above all be good to yourself (don't come down on yourself) you are doing it for you.

Just take an hour at a time and deal with that. Note your craving times and triggers and find ways to help yourself from those times. Wether its phone a friend or going out, for a swim, taking a pampering bath or doing your nails just to pass that time. If you are going for sweets try to find low or no sugar types you don't want to swap one addiction for another.

Every week reward yourself for your achievements (not food or cig) but in other ways that you find enjoyable. Above all be proud of what your doing, paving the way to health for you and your future.
  • dayr1993
    dayr1993 Posts: 102 Member
    Thanks to everyone who has commented at least i no irs normal not to battle 2 addictions at once im goimg to be careful with whay I eat but not feel guilty if it doesnt go to plan quitting smoking is more my goal then loosimg weight in the end will make loosing weight easier as ill be able to exercise more :D
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    I absolutely have days/weeks where I need to stop and reevaluate what I am doing, because I am letting myself go.

The way for me to get back on track is not the healthiest one, but it is the only thing that works when I need to get back on track. I will just make a drastic change (baby steps simply don't work for me) and eat at 1,200 calories for about a week and extremely healthy (fruits, veggies, lean meats, protein), this way my body will lose all water weight fast and I will notice a drastic change in my body - my stomach will be so flat within 2 or 3 days and I will WANT to do better. From there I will up my calories to 1,500 and then 1,800 to where I need to be.
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    I've recently gotten back on the wagon.
    I used a grappling hook and a horse.

For me it was just.... Recognizing the importance of my goals, not just weight loss, but other pursuits that I've let fallen by the wayside for somewhat inconsequential things such as taste and money.
    My weight loss began again when all my priorities got organized.

I have nothing to say about cigarettes. Good luck! I can only imagine how hard it ha to be.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Ahhhh, falling off the wagon. I know it well!

I've been trying to lose weight since the beginning of the year, but would always lose a little, then put it straight back on. I must admit, i was going through a starve-binge-starve-binge cycle, which obviously wasn't working. I joined this site because i needed help, and through talking to people and reading posts in these forums, i've maaned to stick to a sensible plan and have now lost nearly four pounds, which is more than i have lost all year! Before joining this site, i fell off the wagon a lot, and usually for days at a time where i would eat thousands of calories. It is very hard to get out of.

I found that upping my calories to 1200, (yes, i know that is still low but it isn't compared to what i was consuming on my 'starve days, which was most days) meant that i was actually eating less on an average weekly basis; because i had those extra calories to use up, i stopped stressing so much about how much i was eating and began to eat more wholesome foods which keep me feeling fulling for longer. Also, eating little and often stops me from binging, as i'm quite happy to only eat something small if i know i'll be eating again in an hour or two, rather than thinking 'oh god, it's hours until my next meal, better fill up now!' which would inevitably lead to over eating.

When my motivation is running low, i force myself to go to the gym, or go to a walk, even if it's just to the shop for something to drink later on in the day. I find that no matter how much i don't want to get off my *kitten* and do any exercise that once i'm doing it/done it, those endorphins kick in and i feel great and motivated again. Plus, if you're exercising you aren't easy.

Boredom is also a massive motivation killer for me, so i try and change it up a bit; eat at different times, try new exercise classes, etc. It keeps me interested and also stops my body getting too used to any particular routine.

Another thing i do is look at pictures of people skinnier than me. Yes, it's a bit sad, but it reminds me of what i want to achieve. I think about how proud i'll feel once i've achieved it, how fantastic i'll look and feel, all the positive comments i'll get from people and how good they will make me feel.

Also, buy a pair of jeans that are too small. I have a pair of jeans that i could just about squeeze into before i put on all this weight. Now, they barely do up. That is my aim goal, once i fit into those jeasn i will be happy. I try them on every now and again, and seeing the stretched denim and feeling the waistband cut into my waist and seeing the rolls of fat hanging over the top only make me more determined to lose the weight and fit into them again.

Kicking your *kitten* into gear after falling off the wagon for a while is hard; but once you take that first step, get past the first week, it does become easier i promise you. Hope some of this helps, good luck!