Bob Harper's new book--only 800 calories/day?!

Options
I am a huge fan of The Biggest Loser--and of course all the trainers--so when my mom came across an article about Bob's new book she forwarded it to me. There was an excerpt from the book which explained that women should eat 800 calories per day, and men 1200. WHAT?!?!?! All these warnings about not going under 1200 for risk of starvation mode, and he's saying cut out 400 MORE calories?! I was shocked. Not sure what his reasoning or explanation is, as I said, it was only a short excerpt. I really trust Bob so I am interested in his reasoning for 800 calories being the right amount. It completely shocked me! What do you guys think about this? Has anyone read his new book already who can elaborate?

Replies

• stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    i think its a load of crap and unfortunately a lot of people will take his dangerous stupid advice.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    yep! He was on a morning show the other day promoting this "diet"!! He was saying it's safe if you only do it for say 3 weeks to get into a wedding dress or swim suit!! Looks like he's gone the way of the dollar and quick fixes instead of health as well. Sad!
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like good advice. I couldn't imagine reducing to 1200 calories as a guy, that would be insane.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Pshh. Going on an 1800 calorie diet for me just sounds absurd.
    Let alone 800. Reeeeeediculous.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I was shocked by this . He seems kinda hypocitical because he always preeches on never going under 1200 a day. But that being said I kinda understand his method of eating less because its only to loose weight for a certain event, its not long term weight loss. All these diet rules are confusing, who knows what to believe in anymore. Soon there going to say fruits and veggies are bad for us.<--- GMO fruits and veg foods :(
  • ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Looks like he's gone the way of the dollar and quick fixes instead of health as well. Sad!

Sad considering what a following he has :/

Looks like pretty soon all the posts on MFP about 1200 calories a day troubles are about to be replaced by 800 calories a day troubles :ohwell:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    I used to like him... but he sold out and then some.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Well, it would be really hard to get in all the nutrients your body needs on 800 cals a day. And no, supplements aren't good enough to make up for it.
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I find that particularly odd given that he's such a CrossFit junkie. I'd have thought his new book would be more in line with the high intensity, heavy lifting, heavy fueling thing CrossFit seems to encompass.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

He's been giving idiotic "health tips" for awhile, but this latest book of his is just horrible.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I would be in the fetal position sucking my thumb with only1200 calories a day.
  • Lose4HealthNow
    Options
    Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
  • jennymonster
    jennymonster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not sticking up for him per se... However, if you only saw a brief excerpt there might be more to it. For example, I heard he said in his book that he doesn't count fruits and vegetables as calories. So maybe he means 800 calories of just meats, dairy, grains and oils?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Doesn't he usually train people who are morbidly obese, though?
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode does not happen as easily as people think. It would take over 30 days of water only fasting to go into starvation mode for most people.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !!!!
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    Looks like he's gone the way of the dollar and quick fixes instead of health as well. Sad!

Sad considering what a following he has :/

Looks like pretty soon all the posts on MFP about 1200 calories a day troubles are about to be replaced by 800 calories a day troubles :ohwell:

OMG....NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!:sad:
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Not sticking up for him per se... However, if you only saw a brief excerpt there might be more to it. For example, I heard he said in his book that he doesn't count fruits and vegetables as calories. So maybe he means 800 calories of just meats, dairy, grains and oils?

i was thinking this as well, that maybe it only counts other foods then fruits and veggies are "free"
    sounds like the hsgd. oh boy :ohwell:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I would be in the fetal position sucking my thumb with only1200 calories a day.

You could probably get 1200 calories just from sucking your thumb. Don't worry, it's Bob Harper Approved!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I find that particularly odd given that he's such a CrossFit junkie. I'd have thought his new book would be more in line with the high intensity, heavy lifting, heavy fueling thing CrossFit seems to encompass.

Something tells me Crossfitters aren't his target audience. At all.