Snacks, snacks, snacks?

KAYRRIE
KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
So I have been learning how to substitute certain foods as to decrease the calories, but then I found myself filling in the gaps with some healthy snacks or I should say, low calorie snacks. I then had to increase my calories during meals and limit the snacks per day. My question is, what do you all recommend for a real healthy snack and how many snacks a day do you all allow yourselves?

Replies

• JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    I can't really answer "how many" but I can give you some of my snack ideas!

Dry roasted almonds (or any type of dry roasted nut)
    Natural peanut butter with an apple
    Cottage cheese
    Raw vegetables (carrots, broccoli, sugar snap peas, turnip, etc. etc.) with hummus
    Individual servings of cheese
    Celery with natural peanut butter or cream cheese
    Air popped popcorn
  • KAYRRIE

Cottage cheese
    Raw vegetables (carrots, broccoli, sugar snap peas, turnip, etc. etc.) with hummus
    Air popped popcorn

Oh boy, what a girl to do when she doesn't like veggies. I like baby carrots though, 1 point for me :). Thank you for the ideas.
  • shadowlydarkness
    shadowlydarkness Posts: 243 Member
    Try the Kellog's cereal bars. They are only 100 calories per bar and taste like caramel or berries! I adore them and have them in my house. I try not to eat to many because I find it hard to stop at 1. But when my craving for sweets becomes unbearable I rather dig into those then a normal chocolate bar! Also Belvita bicuits are great, a little higher in calories but they come in small packets of 4 biscuits and several flavours, they are great as they are high in fibre and other good stuff so they keep you full for a while. Those are some of my favorites on my shopping list as I dont always have time to chop up some veggies, but these are handy and ready in my bag and cubboard.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member

Cottage cheese
    Air popped popcorn

Oh boy, what a girl to do when she doesn't like veggies. I like baby carrots though, 1 point for me :). Thank you for the ideas.

Just for the record,
    the nuts, peanut butter, cottage cheese, servings of cheese, and popcorn are considered vegetable free.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    my diary is open. Depending on your cal intake my breakkie and lunch could be snacks!
    I eat pretty basic and snack mostly before/after workouts and at night
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    For sweet stuff I like fruit, low cal fudge pops or ice cream sandwiches, nature valley crunchy granola bars and chocolate crunch rice cakes w/ pb.

For savory I like special k cracker chips, Quaker popped mini rice cakes (they have all different flavors), string cheese, and salsa and (the right portion of) tortilla chips.

I'm not a big raw veggie eater and I know these aren't the greatest choices but I used to snack on way worse stuff (think Doritos, dairy queen and chocolate covered pretzels) so I'm taking baby steps lol.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    apple
    banana
    grapes
    string cheese
    baby bell cheese
    non fat yogurt--greek or otherwise
    nuts
    granola bars--lots of types out there
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    fruit (berries, melon, and clementines are super lo cal), yogurt, smoothies, fiber one 80 cal chocolate cereal (portioned out in little snack size baggies), hard boiled eggs, vitatops, green tea plus stevia (0 cal), deli slices spread with mustard and wrapped around pickles, lite baby bel cheese, pop cakes (or a rice cake) spread with 35 cal laughing cow cheese wedge

less healthy (or expensive): arctic zero ice cream (150 cal per pint), weight watchers giant latte bars (90), sugar free jello cup (10) plus fat free reddi wip (5-10), 40 cal fudgsicles, sugar free gum (this one helps prevent snacking!)

The above are some of my faves (plus the already mentioned air popped popcorn, cottage cheese, veggies). I try to stick to the healthier ones, but sometimes the junky ones happen.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    I like roasted chickpeas:

Get a few cups of cooked chickpeas
    season with some of your fav spices ( i used mccormick cajun)
    Olive oil spray

Spray the pan and the chickpeas then season and bake for about an hour :)
  • KAYRRIE
    Sounds so yummy everyone. You're all giving me some great choices. :flowerforyou:
  • wendalyse
    wendalyse Posts: 58 Member
    Fake apple pie......unsweetened applesauce with a bit of Splenda (or whatever sweetener you like) and cinnamon stuffed into a small whole wheat pita. Heated slightly is nice too.

Fake cheesecake......1/4 cup skim ricotta cheese with some berries on top and a little sweetener

Cold apple spread with 2 squares of Laughing Cow Light cheese.....I eat this on the way home from work most nights so that I don't inhale the fridge when I walk in the door.

Pumpkin pudding......Jello low fat sugar free vanilla pudding mixed with 1 fourteen oz can pumpkin, sweetener, pumpkin pie spice and 2 cups 1% milk. Easy and fast.

Black Bean brownies.......check out The Mad Chemist website. They are really quite good.

Ryvita Crisp Breads.....I buy the ones that are 3 for 100 cal. Spread then with peanut butter or hummus, You can even dress them up with some banana slices or peppers or whatever.
  • ashzacher
    ashzacher Posts: 114 Member
    A few of my favorites that haven't been listed....

A dip I came up with a few weeks ago, I've been LOVING it ever since..
    Use natural salsa (the yummy chunky kind is my favorite!) and mix in either plain, fat free greek yogurt or a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese (honestly, both are delicious). I usually use equal parts of each. I like to dip pretzel thins or cucumber slices!

Another dip I LOVE (this cuts back on the calories/fat) is peanut butter mixed with honey greek yogurt.. Usually I do equal parts, if anything more Greek yogurt - I dip apples in it! It's delicious.

One last snack I swear I love are Lara Bars.. They're around 190 calories, but all of the ingredients are 'clean' and natural - dates, nuts, and fruit.. so there is no added sugar!
  • missdelajay
    missdelajay Posts: 45 Member
    I was recently reading about an article about the Lara bars having better ingredients than the usual granola bar packed with chemicals. I'll have to try one
  • inktotree
    inktotree Posts: 53 Member
    I've discovered Laughing Cow Spreadable Cheese Wedges (35 calories per wedge, available in all kinds of flavors) and I'm addicted. I keep my snacks anywhere from 100 - 200 calories.

I'll usually portion out some Wheat Thins (Reduced-Fat), spread a little of the cheese wedge on each cracker, and top with turkey pepperoni (roughly 5 calories per pepperoni). Seriously a life saver for me!

Good luck! :) We're all in this together!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    PIzza, beer, ice cream, veggies, cheese sticks, almonds, Greek yogurt and protein powder, leftover steak, hummus and pitas, milk, apples, and oranges. Those pretty much form the basis of my snacking.
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Fruit
    Raw nuts (add reduced sugar craisins for a trail mix)
    Low sodium or unsalted tortilla chips and fresh salsa/pico de gallo/tomato trinity
    Fiber One brownies
    Skinny Cow anything
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    banana chips!
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    I allow myself all the snacks I feel like having. It's just that I don't often feel a need to eat between meals. No cravings from processed food because I don't eat a whole lot of it. And when I'm bored or stressed, water or tea will mostly do. I'm not hungry when I don't eat, and when I do eat, the meal can be a treat too. A Honeycrisp apple in the mid-afternoon or stopping by CostCo or Trader Joe's for samples or my dealer for a free car wash and free fiber bars and hot chocolate is about as far as I can stretch it.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Salty Snack: Turkey Bacon
    Sweet Snack: Dried Figs
    Crunchy Snack: Celery / apples
    Sour Snack: Pomegranate
    Savory Snack: Hummus with Cucumber used for dipping instead of crackers
    Savory Snack II: Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
    Spicy Snack: Shrimp made with spicy seasoning
    Warm comfort Snack: cappuccino made with skim milk and stevia and a teas of cocoa powder (at Starbucks, order a yummy vanilla cappuccino "skinny" - which means nonfat milk and sugarfree vanilla!)
  • shadowlydarkness
    shadowlydarkness Posts: 243 Member
    Try the mini bags of popcorn, you put them in the microwave, their done within 2 minutes and smell amazing, and you got plenty for only 150 cals (depending on flavor) I love them when my partner is having a bag of chips I happily munch on these instead